Poll

What is the most surprising twist of the story thus far?

Kelsier's sacrifice
2 (7.4%)
The Kandra double-agent
6 (22.2%)
Marsh's return
5 (18.5%)
The Prophecy betrayed
10 (37%)
Elend's new talent
3 (11.1%)
The Lord Ruler's Identity
1 (3.7%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: ***Spoilers*** Poll Question***Spoilers***  (Read 7854 times)

White

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
  • (is largely not of this world)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
Re: ***Spoilers*** Poll Question***Spoilers***
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2008, 02:57:43 PM »
I didn't think the lordruler's identity was as much of a big twist to me personally because he wasn't a character in the novel's actual timeline really - Tensoon was more of a wolf among the sheep type of twist, and I wouldn't consider the fact that there was some foreshadowing about him as lessening the twistyness - it was just laying the suports for it to be a logical plot twist.

I hope people understand what I'm trying to say - you know, the LR twist was kind of like 'Well I didn't really know him that solidly as a character in the first place...' type of thing so it didn't shockprise me as much.

And yes, I couldn't choose between "Suprise" and "shock" just then so yes, I compromised.

On that earlier sentiment as well, Marsh's return also wasn't as suprising because knowledge on Steel Inquisitors was also always kind of sketchy.

Actually, one thing that felt like more of a big twist thing the "Things written in metal cannot be trusted" thing.
Clyde Bruckman: You know, there are worse ways to go, but I can't think of a more undignified way than auto-erotic asphyxiation.
Mulder: Why are you telling *me* that?
Clyde Bruckman: Look, forget I mentioned it. It's none of my business.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2008, 11:32:43 PM »
Another twist that should be adde maybe is the Zane is not Insane twist, and the spike thing
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

White

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2008, 05:21:37 PM »
Oh, Zane still is a raving Zaniac. It's just not all in his head.  ;)
Clyde Bruckman: You know, there are worse ways to go, but I can't think of a more undignified way than auto-erotic asphyxiation.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2008, 06:41:46 PM »
Well, if you spent most of your life hearing a voice that told you to kill everyone, you would probably go a little batty, too.  That was a good twist, but I think it fits in with the overall Prophecy twist.  It is another clue to how Ruin is manipulating Hemallurgy and Feruchemy.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2008, 08:18:35 PM »
Also, what about the Reen never really betrayed Vin twist.  It's not really that important to the plot, but it is the Vin's character, because Reen's betrayal has stayed with her for some time.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Pygmalion

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2008, 09:39:40 PM »
Oh, Zane still is a raving Zaniac. It's just not all in his head.  ;)

Score one point for Zane.  ;D

Speaking of Zane, I might add his death to the list of surprises. I was definitely not expecting him to be killed so quickly. He was set up as such a fascinating character and then just cut off in his character development prime. Major bummer, that one.
"Vision is the art of seeing the invisible" - Jonathan Swift

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2008, 11:44:29 PM »
I know, I was actually looking forward to when Vin was going to run off with Zane, but nope, she saw thorugh everything before that, and went and got married to elend, darn nice guy.
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2008, 04:34:42 AM »
Apparently, I'm the only one who didn't like Zane. I've never liked him. He just... annoys me.

The Prophecy is surprising because of it's implications. We all knew something was up with it, we just didn't know exactly what it was. When Ruin finally freed himself... then it was a total "Oh my god" moment. At least, in my opinion.

The Lord Ruler's identity was sort of the same way. The back of the MB1 paperback kept saying that the prophecized hero lost to darkness... but then he never did, just some other dude killed him. It was an extremely awesome plot twist.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

White

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2008, 04:57:13 AM »
Yeah, Zane's death was suprising. Oh, poor, insane-and-hear-voices Zane, I loveded him so...

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2008, 09:37:41 PM »
I agree with Chaos about the Lord Ruler's Identity and the Prophecy betrayed thing.  Another interesting twist, thought not vey important plot wise might be the straff is addicted, and it's amantra, not Zane, who did it to him twist.
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Hero of Ages

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2008, 06:52:34 AM »
I agree with Chaos about the Lord Ruler's Identity and the Prophecy betrayed thing.  Another interesting twist, thought not vey important plot wise might be the straff is addicted, and it's amantra, not Zane, who did it to him twist.

I kinda liked that twist from MB2 too.  Pretty funny that he didn't trust many people but the one that he trusted more than most was the one who did him in.
I must not fear;
Fear is the mind killer;
I will face my fear;
I will let it pass through me;
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing;
Only I will remain.
-Paul Muad'dib Atreides-

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself.
-Me-

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2008, 06:14:23 PM »
I don't think it was trust as much as it was hubris.  Straff was far too arrogant to believe one of his Skaa mistresses would try to harm him, mostly because they knew he would kill them, which is exactly what happened.   Vin killed Straff, not the poison.  It is one of the most visual parts of the story.  It is so easy for me to imagine this little spec fly through the air, slowly taking Vin's shape as it moves closer, giving Straff just enough time to realize he is screwed before she splits him like a puddin'.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2008, 10:46:59 PM »
I really like that part too, I also liked the part where Elend's in the tent and Vin is listening outside, and the way she soothes his emotions all away terrifies Straff.  I think most people were cheering when he died.  He was quite the villain.
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2008, 03:58:24 PM »
That was like, the best part in MB2.

I would like to mention that on the poll itself, it is slightly misleading, because "Lord Ruler's identity" wasn't up there when I voted. If it was, I surely would have gone for that over "The Prophecy Betrayed".
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2008, 01:12:58 AM »
I don't know, I don't think I would change my vote, the Lord Ruler thing was big, but the whole Prophecy thing still thorws me for a loop, I knew there was something wrong, but not that everything was false.
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier