Poll

What is the most surprising twist of the story thus far?

Kelsier's sacrifice
2 (7.4%)
The Kandra double-agent
6 (22.2%)
Marsh's return
5 (18.5%)
The Prophecy betrayed
10 (37%)
Elend's new talent
3 (11.1%)
The Lord Ruler's Identity
1 (3.7%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: ***Spoilers*** Poll Question***Spoilers***  (Read 7855 times)

darxbane

• Level 17
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
***Spoilers*** Poll Question***Spoilers***
« on: March 20, 2008, 03:56:06 PM »
Please let me know if there are any I missed.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Kelsier

• Level 2
  • Lord of the Mists
    • View Profile
    • The Christian Halo Union
Re: ***Spoilers*** Poll Question***Spoilers***
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 04:33:18 PM »
You missed "The Lord Ruler's Identity."

As for myself, I don't think I could label one of Mistborn's twists as the best. They're all good.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 07:00:55 PM »
It wasn't so much the best as least expected.  There were some clues as to Rashek's identity, as well as the Well Spirit's true intentions, even if some of it was near the point where you find out anyway.  The discovery that Oreseur was actually Tensoon was completely unexpected by me.  I don't think I would have ever seen that coming.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 09:04:13 PM »
When I read through Mistborn a second times I realized that there wer all kinds of hints that I missed.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

cloversprite

• Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Boundless
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 04:35:00 AM »
Yeah, the Oreseur/Tensoon thing took me completely by surprise the first time I read the books, but rereading them now it's not surprising.  His personality changes subtly, and he doesn't know everything he should. 

It's funny, but I think I've learned more about foreshadowing by reading Brandon's books than I could ever have learned in a class.  My creative writing class didn't even come close :P 
I could not love thee, dear, so much
loved I not honor more.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 05:09:13 AM »
It's always so subtle that you just brush over it at the time, but it always comes back to things later.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Hero of Ages

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 07:52:23 AM »
I would have to say that Marsh's return was the most surprising, due to the complete lack of foreshadowing (I just finished a reread 2 days ago and don't remember any).
I must not fear;
Fear is the mind killer;
I will face my fear;
I will let it pass through me;
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing;
Only I will remain.
-Paul Muad'dib Atreides-

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself.
-Me-

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 01:52:23 PM »
The kinds of twists are usually those that have massive implications, like Lord Ruler's Identity or the Prophecy Betrayed. I'll invariably throw my weight on those :P
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 07:34:50 PM »
I still haven't seen any real tells that Oreseur was replaced.  Tensoon would have adapted Oreseur's personality exactly.  His change in personality was due to being forced to become a dog, which apparently all Kandra find insulting.  The real Oreseur from the epilogue was just as borderling condescending as the fake one. 

The prophecy is right up there, too.  Although, you find out the truth before Vin does, and it changes from a sudden shock to a race to see if Sazed can stop her before she gives the power away.  If the first we'd have known for sure something was wrong was when we read "I...AM...FREEEEEE!"  That would really have floored everyone.  Don't get me wrong, I actually preferred it the way it was written.  Tensoon was just more surprising to me than finding out the Well was evil.

Kelsier

• Level 2
  • Lord of the Mists
    • View Profile
    • The Christian Halo Union
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 04:09:17 AM »
Well, if it's surprise we're going for, I would have to agree with HoA. Marsh's return was completely unexpected. Had I known how Inquisitors were made—in book 1—I wouldn't have been so taken. However, I had almost no knowledge of the process until after Marsh showed up.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 07:39:13 AM »
There was some foreshadowing about TenSoon, just it was pretty much undetectable unless you know what happens in the end.  When Vin first meet's him, he says he forgot to tell her that it would take so long to duplicate all the hair, but he did tell her.  Also this isn't really foreshadowing, but it's kind of a hint,, when Vin asks him if he knows who the traitor kandra personally he says he probably knows him very well.  I still think the prophecy betrayed is the most unexpected, how were we supposed to know that everything Vin has been working to up unitl this point is a sham??
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 06:28:15 AM »
The Prophecy being manipulated was actually very fully foreshadowed, in my opinion. Things that Sazed says he remembers, that are missing or not correct when looked at again. I was most definitely not as surprised by that as I was by TenSoon/Orseur.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2008, 08:29:00 PM »
Well, I figured it out at the very end, when Sazed see's the mist spirit, but until then, I didn't really figure get it, I just thought it was wierd that Kwaan talked about the Holy First Witness, and I hadn't noticed that before.  I thought there was something wrong, but I didn't think the whole thing about giving up the power would be wrong, I mean, it seemed like such a good thing to do.
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Pygmalion

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 04:32:51 AM »
Definitely Marsh showing back up from the dead... that was seriously unexpected.

However, the best surprise was when Elend suddenly turned into a Mistborn. Majorly cool.
"Vision is the art of seeing the invisible" - Jonathan Swift

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 03:30:06 PM »
I am glad this thread has been so well received thus far.  It shows how different people can look at the same scenario and pick out completely different aspects of it.  It also reminds me how good EUOL seems to be at hiding things in plain sight.  You are so busy enjoying the story, you almost forget to try to figure out what is happening.  EVIL! :)

I think you are right about Marsh's return.  I was completely surprised by that, as well.  Should I add The Lord Ruler's identity to the poll?  How about finding out Shan was Mistborn?  Any others I might have missed?