Author Topic: Wild Theory: Hemallurgy and Atium Geodes  (Read 4840 times)

darxbane

• Level 17
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Wild Theory: Hemallurgy and Atium Geodes
« on: March 20, 2008, 03:10:53 PM »
 Can Hemallurgy repair the geodes that produce Atium?  My theory is based on the fact that Allomancy and Hemallurgy seem to be opposing magic systems.  We know that the mists are attracted by Allomancy and repelled by Hemallurgy.  Since using Allomancy around Atium geodes destroys them, would Hemallurgy have the opposite affect?  I figured I'd post something interesting and most likely irrelevant, just for some fun discussion.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
Re: Wild Theory: Hemallurgy and Atium Geodes
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 09:12:18 PM »
That's a cool theory, that the mists and the geodes opposites, but I'm not sure that's true.  Hemalurgy isn't the opposite of allomancy, after all, we haven't really seen much at all what hemalurgy can do without allomancy.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

cathar

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 01:34:09 PM »
Hemalurgy and allomancy are related magics. but hemalurgy isn't something like you burn a metal. It requires blood and seems to cause an effect, rather than give powers.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 07:10:31 PM »
I was specifically pointing to the fact that Hemallurgy "pushes" the mists away from the user and Allomancy "pulls" the mists towards the user.  Maybe the geodes response to Hemallurgy is also different.

cathar

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 09:29:44 PM »
Darxbane did you perhaps drift over from Theoryland?

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 03:43:38 PM »
No, actually.  I have never really posted before I started here.  My goal with this was to change things up a bit.  The other threads are all about key elements to the story.  This was meant to be more casual.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 02:23:27 AM »
There's something up with this whole atium thing. It's the only metal Brandon invented for Allomancy. It's only produced in the Pits. It seems just a bit more unique than Brandon's usual fare. It seems very likely that there is more up with atium than meets the eye.

I don't know about Hemalurgy, though. It's possible, but it's impossible to get something concrete down because our Hemalurgical knowledge is very limited.

Word of the Day: Hemalurgical. :P
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 02:37:10 AM »
There's something up with this whole atium thing. It's the only metal Brandon invented for Allomancy. It's only produced in the Pits. It seems just a bit more unique than Brandon's usual fare. It seems very likely that there is more up with atium than meets the eye.
Indeed. RAFO. :)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 06:14:03 AM »
They're really the eggs of a silicon-based life form?   :D
~금강산도 식후경~

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 06:11:45 PM »
I had an idea, based off of what's talked about in the Hemalurgy thread. Blood--skaa blood--is necessary for Hemalurgy to work.

Well darxbane... there's plenty of skaa blood and dead bodies down in the Pits.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 10:06:14 PM »
WAAAAAAAAA!  This is soo intense, and then ookla has to come in with these obscure little read and find out bits, I can't take it, I'm gonna just gonna have to break into Brandon's laptop, and steal that book :o!  What is up with those pits and those crystals, I've got to know!!!
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 09:15:35 PM »
No, no, no, going after Brandon's laptop would be wrong.  Besides, I don't want to slow down his writing of AMOL.  I do feel that RAFO is short for Restrain And Flog Ookla! :P  I am going to find out what your getting for christmas this year and not tell you!  Ha!  What do yo think of that!  I am kidding of course.  To be honest I think it will be worth the wait, and we can continue to theorize until then.  We may even give an idea for future books.  Who Knows?  The journey is more important than the destination.  That is why I like the Wheel of Time so much. 

On a topic related note.  I have a feeling that there is another metal (and alloy) that is made up for this story.  Unless one of you know of a real life metal that grants Allomantic abilities.  ;)

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 10:56:57 PM »
Yes, I'd assume that the 15th and 16th are made up as well, which makes 4 made up metals, atium, malatium, and the 15th and 16th metal.  And I was jsut joking about tha t breaking in stuff, I think it's worth the wait too.

Sort of ;D.
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2008, 03:42:33 PM »
No, no, no, going after Brandon's laptop would be wrong.  Besides, I don't want to slow down his writing of AMOL.  I do feel that RAFO is short for Restrain And Flog Ookla! :P  I am going to find out what your getting for christmas this year and not tell you!  Ha!  What do yo think of that!  I am kidding of course.  To be honest I think it will be worth the wait, and we can continue to theorize until then.  We may even give an idea for future books.  Who Knows?  The journey is more important than the destination.  That is why I like the Wheel of Time so much. 

On a topic related note.  I have a feeling that there is another metal (and alloy) that is made up for this story.  Unless one of you know of a real life metal that grants Allomantic abilities.  ;)

Yes, that definitely seems to be the case. If you make up one for atium, then why not have another? Besides, it would kind of match the "symmetry" thing I talked about in the 16th metal topic. Gold and Electrum are real, but Atium and Malatium are not.

Aluminum and Duralumin are real, but the 15th and 16th metals need not be.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2008, 01:04:20 AM »
That's one thing that I love to see in books and TV shows, and that brandon does really well, is symmetry in the way everything works together, and the way the world jsut makes sense on so many levels, and the pararlells that can be drawn.  The TV show Avatar is also really good for this which is surprising for a cartoon.
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier