Author Topic: Baten Kaitos  (Read 3313 times)

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
Baten Kaitos
« on: March 19, 2008, 08:02:29 PM »
It's possible there is another thread for this, and if there is I apologize, but Baten Kaitos for gamecube is probably when of the best games I have played.  It's an RPG with an amazing storyline and characters.  The battle system is a little tedious, and sometimes confusing, but on the whole, I loved it.  The second game, Baten Kaitos Orgins, fixes some of the problems- faster paced battle system, characters sharing decks instead of one for each character, but the storyline isn't nearly as good.  The Original just had so many twists and turns, I didn't know what to expect!
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
Re: Baten Kaitos
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 08:38:35 PM »
*Sigh* I will admit, I have both Baten Kaitos and Origins. Both played. Both unbeaten. It's so sad when you buy the sequel (and/or prequel, as it is here) and realize that you haven't beaten the first one.

I will say that Baten Kaitos was a spectacular game. It's perfect for the RPG-weak Gamecube. The graphics are gorgeous. It's very clever how they got the most out of that small little Cube.

I'll disagree with you Comatose, I think the first game got the Magnus system more correct. Mostly, Origins just made me angry because you shared the deck among all of your party members, where in the first one they each had their specialized ones. It got tedious, then, because sometimes it was one character's turn, but he had the items that only another could use!
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 09:17:16 PM »
I like the faster battles the second one provides, and getting the characters to do relay combos, it gives you soo much more damage, and I also like that the characters share a deck but you can do more than one, that way you don't have to edit your basic deck if you want to make a specialized deck for those really tough bosses (like the holo holo bird, uhhhh!).

I agree with you on the graphics, they are incredible, and I also agree that they really got the best out of the gamecube.  The only game cube game I've seen that's better, would be Zelda Twighlight Princess, I think that's the epitome of gamecube games.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Dangerbutton

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 06:35:18 PM »
This reminds me I still need to beat that game...

Aghaene

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 03:14:11 AM »
Most amazing game that exists, this.
I like both battle systems, but I admit that the EWatLO system is probably my favoured because it is more customisable and unique than just having everyone fight from the same deck. And that burning anger you get from having to reshuffle your deck adds that extra touch of emotion rather than the continuous barrage of specials, MP Bursts, and potions for the whole battle.