Author Topic: Original Fiction forum  (Read 3732 times)

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
Original Fiction forum
« on: March 08, 2008, 05:42:05 AM »
I was thinking, you have all sorts of different forums, most of which discusses works already in existence. Well, what if there was a forum where the members could post like, some of their own, original fiction, where other people here could comment on it? It could foster a lot of learning for writers, honing skills and such.

Oh, and it would waste time. I don't know if that's really a consideration if a forum would be created or not, but hey, this board is called the Time-Waster's Guide. What would waste more time than people posting their own creations :P?

Now, I'm not suggesting that entire books be posted here. I was largely thinking of smaller, episodic content. Almost the kinds you'd see in fan-fictions, but only, if you didn't want this board descend into that potential abyss, you could restrict it to completely original content.

I thought I'd suggest this because I have a work I write with a co-author that on my little tiny forum, doesn't get very many comments on it. I would like to post it here (though, I find it quite terrifying for anything I write to be hit so critically by all these people, but you all seem very nice and helpful, so what could it hurt but to make us better?), but I didn't see an exact forum that quite fits.

EDIT: Of course, Writing Group could be the forum for that. Is that where I should post something like this, or would it be better to be in a new forum that doesn't exist yet?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 05:44:32 AM by Chaos2651 »
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Original Fiction forum
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 09:48:56 PM »
I think the WG board is the appropriate place, if we do start getting a lot of OF posts I may consider creating a child board to WG for people to post stuff, as the whole point of writing group is to post stuff for critiquing.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 06:47:17 AM »
Better to have writer's groups, too; technically, posting on a board like this might count as publication.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 07:19:27 PM »
Ok, seriously, this isn't the writing thread so drop all the fancy , and ;s your post made no sense to me.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 01:19:30 AM »
I tend to avoid posting my stories (in whole or in part) on publicly accessible websites such as this. If there is a private, by invitation only sub-forum, that is preferable.

I am not a published author, but I seek to one day be such. I don't want to have to deal with the ramifications of posting stories online and ruining my paid publication possibility because it was already 'published'. Magazine and book publishers (at least from my experience) want works that are completely unseen by the public and as such tend to avoid work that has been posted on the web.

Not only that but I am rather fond of my ideas and stories and don't look forward to having them ripped off or stolen by some passer through. It is not the main users of the site that I fear/don't trust. It is the public nature of any person being able to access my hard work and swiping it for their own purposes.

I try to recommend to my friends that they protect themselves and their stories by likewise not posting content online unless it is in a private forum or protected by password.
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 11:05:02 PM »
"Better to have writer's groups, too; technically, posting on a board like this might count as publication."

Translation into Spriggin-accessible English:

"Writers groups are better.  Posting stories online may make it harder to get published later."

No "fancy" commas or semicolons there.  No fancy apostrophes, either.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Elmandr

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 02:11:50 AM »
I'm not sure if this is internet taboo but Writing.com is a wonderful website where you can have your work critiqued, along with having the option of restricting it fro the general public, and limiting it to other participating members.

that should prevent publishers from seeing you work online, thus the ramifications that posting you work brings up is nullified.

Problem solved.
"I love you."
"you dont. You just think you do because i'm all you know."
"Really? So whats this burning sensation i'm having in my stomach?"
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"No. But i can see how you confused the two."
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 02:43:55 AM »
Wow, I've sort of forgotten about this thread. That's okay, though, since I no longer have the desire to post stuff online here. Instead, I'll just utilize Reading Excuses :P
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.