Author Topic: The Comprehensive Hemalurgy Thread  (Read 100204 times)

darxbane

• Level 17
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: The Comprehensive Hemalurgy Thread
« Reply #570 on: October 08, 2008, 04:20:32 PM »
I understand.  I was just filtering the list a little bit.  There are a couple that do seem very suspicious, but there are others that are most likely just Vin's subconscious.  That doesn't really help anything, does it?
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: October 08, 2008, 06:38:26 PM »
"Every Little bit helps." As they say. "They" being the Sheriff of Nottingham in Disney's animated Robin Hood.

So, these are the ones I think are the most suspicious:

Chapter 3
In her mind, she thought she heard a voice whispering to her. Reen's voice. Fool! Ruthlessness—it's the most logical of emotions. You don't have any friends in the underworld. You'll never have any friends in the underworld!

Chapter 4
If you let someone get close to you, it will only hurt more when they betray you, Reen seemed to whisper in her mind.

Chapter 7
Vin almost smiled back. Reen's training came to her rescue. The man who wants you to trust him is the one you must fear the most. Her brother's voice almost seemed to whisper in her head. It had grown stronger since she'd met Kelsier, as if her instincts were on edge.

Chapter 8
Vin took a seat in one of the stiffly upholstered maroon chairs, tucking her feet up beneath her. She knew what the problem was. Kelsier had been showing her too much respect, making her feel too important. She was beginning to think that she deserved to be part of his secret confidences. Reen's laughter in the back of her mind discredited those thoughts, and she sat, annoyed at both herself and Kelsier, feeling ashamed, but not exactly certain why.

Chapter 16
They're fools, Reen's voice whispered. This entire plan will end in disaster—and your death will be your own fault for not leaving when you could.

Chapter 20
Is that a good enough reason to let them get you killed? Reen's voice asked.

Chapter 30
However, a voice from within—a voice she had nearly forgotten—began to speak. Of course he left you, Reen whispered. Of course he abandoned you. Everyone will betray you, Vin. What did I teach you?

I never came back for you, Reen whispered. He won't either. The voice felt so real—it was almost like she could hear him beside her.

Chapter 31
You should just be angry at yourself, Reen's voice whispered. You're the one who let them get close. Now they're all just going to leave you.

Chapter 34
Then he towed her away. Vin continued to struggle weakly, but she was growing numb. In the back of her mind, she heard Reen's voice.

See. I told you he would leave you. I warned you.

I promised you. . . .

Epilogue
A whispered voice came from the back of her mind, speaking in Reen's voice. Go back.

I find it interesting that after all the mistrust Reen's voice seemed to be creating, he still says go back at the end. It's actually a lot like the Mist Spirit; driving and antagonizing and attacking and finally stabbing Elend at the end, only to teach her how to save him afterwards... Suspicious.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #572 on: October 08, 2008, 07:28:46 PM »
I never came back for you, Reen whispered. He won't either. The voice felt so real—it was almost like she could hear him beside her.

That would probably be the most likely one that is really a voice. However, I couldn't even a venture a guess to what either Ruin or Preservation's purpose is with any of Reen's voice-whispers.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: October 08, 2008, 08:46:31 PM »
Obviously Ruin wanted to make sure Its "Hero" gave away the power.  Preservation would try to make her keep the power.  I am not saying which was which, but I think someone would accept a familiar voice in their head more than a strange one. 
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

kbob_o

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: October 08, 2008, 09:20:27 PM »
I find it interesting that after all the mistrust Reen's voice seemed to be creating, he still says go back at the end. It's actually a lot like the Mist Spirit; driving and antagonizing and attacking and finally stabbing Elend at the end, only to teach her how to save him afterwards... Suspicious.

Remember though... Ruin seems to demand. What we think is Preservation whispers. And by 'we' I mean 'I'.

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: October 08, 2008, 10:00:31 PM »
Just thought I'd mention here that Brandon's newest blog post confirms each of the Allomantic metals have a Hemalurgic ability. (And a Feruchemical one.)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 10:14:50 PM by Czanos »
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #576 on: October 08, 2008, 11:48:04 PM »
Just thought I'd mention here that Brandon's newest blog post confirms each of the Allomantic metals have a Hemalurgic ability. (And a Feruchemical one.)

Curses, you beat me to it.

Well, I think that pretty well states that Hemalurgy is more than a combination magic system. Each metal would have to have different properties...

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: October 10, 2008, 07:07:32 PM »
I agree with you on which Reen voices are important.  The ones you didn't select area all lessons that Reen tought to Vin that she is remembering, these are what she thinks Reen would say to her now, or what the voice of Reen is saying to her now.  Laid out like that the difference is quit obvious.
The voice seems stronger after she meets Kelsier, is this important?
The Chapter 30 one felt so real that she could feel him beside her.
I also find the mistrust thing interesting.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: October 10, 2008, 08:56:20 PM »
What Hemalurgy metals are are the same as Allomantic metals? Ok then I guess I was way off.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: October 10, 2008, 09:23:10 PM »
I also think hemalurgy MUST have something to do with ability stealing, the Inquisitor with the Feruchemist's speed, the sacrificed keepers, and the special purpose for skaa mistings certainly confirms this.
I also think there must be something more to it than that.
Several days my friends, and all these pages of theorizing will be moot.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: October 10, 2008, 09:28:12 PM »
I don't think they will be moot. The next new book is a ways off and we'll need the humor to tide us over. Plus, it may prove useful to Brandon, knowing what things threw us off, which ones were easy to figure out, etc. so that his next series of books are that much better.
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: October 10, 2008, 09:28:22 PM »
I agree with you on which Reen voices are important.  The ones you didn't select area all lessons that Reen tought to Vin that she is remembering, these are what she thinks Reen would say to her now, or what the voice of Reen is saying to her now.  Laid out like that the difference is quit obvious.
The voice seems stronger after she meets Kelsier, is this important?
The Chapter 30 one felt so real that she could feel him beside her.
I also find the mistrust thing interesting.

Or perhaps the voices were part of Ruin's little charade.  I don't necessarily believe this, by the way--I do think it's a def. possibility though.

I don't think they will be moot. The next new book is a ways off and we'll need the humor to tide us over. Plus, it may prove useful to Brandon, knowing what things threw us off, which ones were easy to figure out, etc. so that his next series of books are that much better.

Agreed.  Not much else to say.  ;D
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: October 10, 2008, 10:13:58 PM »
Also, there's a good possibility that not every fact will be explained at first. These threads can then turn to the resolution of those facts.
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: December 20, 2008, 08:36:56 AM »
HERO OF AGES SPOILER::

So, My theories and questions are getting bogged down in the spoilers thread, so I thought I'd put them here in this nice comfortable Hemalurgy thread, it' been a while.

The inquisitors in book 3 have been confusing me.  Firstly, the inquisitor Vin and Elend kill in chapter three has one EXTRA spike, which is pewter, it's only pewter spike (which seem to give him the speed feruchemical ability).  My question is this:  Don't all inquisitors have the healing ability of gold, and so shouldn't all inquisitors have one pewter spike to start out with, and shouldn't this one have two pewter spikes (one for healing, one for speed). 
My other question is if hemalurgists wear gold minds, because gold has no known hemalurgic ability, and thus, Inquisitors have no gold spike.
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #584 on: December 20, 2008, 09:25:52 AM »
I don't have my HoA copy here, but I am fairly certain that there is a different metal spike which grants Feruchemical Physical abilities (like speed) and Feruchemical Mental Abilities (like health).