Author Topic: Do Steel Inquistors need to burn metals? *Possible Spoilers*  (Read 16536 times)

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Boy Genius - Grown Up... Kinda.
    • View Profile
Re: Do Steel Inquistors need to burn metals? *Possible Spoilers*
« Reply #75 on: May 05, 2008, 11:52:36 AM »
Well, I think Kel is just having a natural hangup due to the same lack of knowledge we had when the quote was uttered. It was Marsh who first discovered about hemalurgy within the group (and was still fairly tight lipped about it), because something tells me that the Inqis would have kept a tight lid on that, if just to preserve the sheer mystery of the occurrence.

This thread really should be part of the hemalurgy one, as it's essentially dealing with all the same stuff... W/e.
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

RIP: James Oliver Rigney, Jr.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2008, 11:49:23 PM »
I've changed my stance. Inquisitors use allomancy. The previously mentioned quote did it, along with this one. I was never really sure to begin with. However, I think that Inquisitors use hemalurgy to do other things (like heal fast) that we haven't seen yet. Anyway, Brandon's MB2 annotations, chapter twelve:

By the way, you probably remember form book one the way that Inquisitors see. They have such a subtle touch with Steel and Iron, and their lines, that they can see via the trace metals in everyone's bodies and in the objects around them.

The thing is, any Allomancer with access to iron or steel could learn to do this. Some have figured it out, in the past, but in current times, nobody--at least, nobody the heroes know--is aware of this. Except, of course, for Marsh.

And he chose not to share it.

So this actually implies that the inquisitors DO burn steel and/or iron to see. From what I gathered, Marsh could share this with anyone who could burn steel or iron. Implying that he burns steel and iron to know how to do it in the first place.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2008, 04:38:55 PM »
Using the powers of Allomancy does not mean that they actually ingest and burn metals.  Vin had to draw upon the mists just to see the lines coming from TLR's bracelets.  She didn't suddenly go into "Matrix vision" where she saw the blue lines from every speck of metal around her.  the Inq's see the trace metals in glass, concrete, and living things easily and constantly.  It would take a tremendous amount of duralumin flared steel/iron, which would force them to constantly ingest steel and/or iron just to keep their sight going, and they wouldn't be in control of Pushing and Pulling because it would always be at full flare.  Besides, there is nothing in the books that says it could even be done.  It is much more likely that the power comes from the metal implanted into their bodies
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
  • Boy Genius - Grown Up... Kinda.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2008, 05:00:38 PM »
I think that they do burn metals, but that the fact they constantly see metal in everything is merely further backing for my theory about how hemallurgy works. The same way that metalminds each allow a feruchemist to store different attributes, I think that hemallurgy grants passive abilities that correspond to the metal's attribute (Pewter would grant inhuman strength and resilience, Iron and Steel would allow you to see metals [most likely pushing metals and pulling metals], tin would give you constantly enhanced senses, etc.)

That accounted, they would still burn metals to get further effects and to use the active powers.
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

RIP: James Oliver Rigney, Jr.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2008, 11:19:36 PM »
Read the quote again, darx, and you see that Brandon says ANY allomancer with access to steel or iron could learn how if they tried. That means little weak mistings who can only burn iron as well as full mistborn. It's not in the power, it's in the control they have over their metal. There is some trick to it. This is why vin doesn't go into matrix vision as you called it. She could see the lines to the bracers because she was powerful enough to pull on them, the blood didn't block it anymore. Seeing trace metals as the inquisitors do would not require power, just skill.

Avalon, your theory makes sense to me, though I still feel it is too similar to allomancy and feruchemy. Brandon has emphasizes multiple times that hemalurgy is its own magic system.

I did just notice though....Brandon says earlier in his MB1 annotations that only very powerful allomancers could pull on metals inside someone's body. This seems to conflict with the quote I gave. Any ideas on how they can both be true? Or did Brandon mess up (yes, I know, blasphemy)?
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 06, 2008, 11:25:58 PM »
Maybe the more skilled you are with steel/iron, the finer particles of metal you can see, but to actually affect them (at least ones in someone's body) you have to be very strongl. Or maybe Brandon just meant powerful in the sense that they would have to be supremely skilled in order to do so.
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 06, 2008, 11:48:40 PM »
Maybe you have to close your eyes and block out the other light in order to see the tinier metal lines.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Vintage

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 07, 2008, 12:00:24 AM »
Or like what Tensoon meant when he was speaking to Vin telling her that she was like Allomancers of old, just as strong. That would saveguard Brandon's integrity and erase all conflictual (regarding this question) sayings.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 07, 2008, 02:50:35 PM »
I was just thinking the same thing, Ookla.  They are more acutely aware of the blue lines because they are blind.  Sorry Andrew, I didn't read that closely enough.  I agree that the metals give them powers, but I don't think they have to ingest additional metals to use those powers.  The energy expended comes from the body, which is why they have to rest so much.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.