Author Topic: Do Steel Inquistors need to burn metals? *Possible Spoilers*  (Read 16533 times)

darxbane

• Level 17
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Do Steel Inquistors need to burn metals? *Possible Spoilers*
« on: February 29, 2008, 08:23:56 PM »
I thought this would be interesting to discuss.  Does anyone think it is possible that they get their power from the metal spikes in their bodies?  My needing to know about Hemalurgy appears to be bordering on obsession, but it seems to be the piece that will help make the whole puzzle come together.  Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 06:31:35 PM by darxbane »
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
Re: Do Steel Inquistors need to burn metals?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 11:15:09 PM »
Good question... It would help to know the whole process behind how inquisitors were made. Which is something we probably will find out about in HoA. All we know is that it has something to do with the spikes/hemalurgy and they become "synthetic" mistborn. However as to if they burn metals or not, I believe that they do. If my memory serves me correctly in the first book when Vin and Kelsier break into Kredik Shaw the inquistor facing Vin burns atium.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 11:28:31 PM by Comfortable Madness »
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

kr0ssf1re

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 06:24:11 AM »
I believe steel inquisitors do burn metals,
I think the hemelurgy (sp) helps them survive more than a normal human would maybe?
And as to the fact of them being made, I think it involves a lot of people dying, and personally I think the inquisitors are given the same metal Elend was given to make them mistborns.

VegasDev

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 05:53:08 PM »
Hemalurgy is used to create Inquisitors, but does that mean that the Inquisitors use Hemalurgy? If they do, then it appears Hemalurgy is a cross between Feruchemy and Allomancy. They can push pull metals and maybe burn atium, but they appear also able to store health like a feruchemist. I believe (I'll have to check when I get home) that it mentions somewhere that the Inquisitors need to rest for long periods of time, presumably to store up health. The rod that is pulled from their backs that kills them probably stores this health. I can't wait for HoA, this speculating is killing me.
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 06:30:26 PM »
I can't wait for HoA, this speculating is killing me.
I know, I can't wait either.  I do love to figure things out, though.  Too many Encyclopedia Brown books as a kid, I guess.  You pose a good question, though.  I would guess that someone who uses the abilities the metals give them would be called Hemallurgists, but it could be the other way around.  EUOL was quite deliberately vague on this magic.  It could just be to throw us off track (Evil, Hecubus! ;)) Marsh provides us with the best insight into what is gained by hemallurgy.  He was just a Seeker before his conversion, now he has full Mistborn powers, along with incredibly healing abilities, and a voice controlling him.  I will have to reread book one to check out the resting piece.

Shost

• Level 4
    • View Profile
Re: Do Steel Inquistors need to burn metals? *Possible Spoilers*
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 12:24:51 AM »
i'm under the impression that the inquisitors do have to burn metals. however, it seems like a possibility that all of those spikes (i believe marsh said there were 11 in mb1) aren't made of the same metal. each spike could be a different allomantic metal. perhaps they burn their spikes as a source for their power. there isn't a single scene in which an inquisitor has to ingest metals in order to continue a fight. and i think kelsier or vin would have noticed if they carried metal on them inside those robes of theirs.  but at the same time i doubt that its any kind of blend of feruchemy and allomancy. the lord ruler tried to wipe out the keepers for exactly that reason...he didn't want anyone else but him to have that mixture.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 04:13:44 PM »
That was part of why he was tyring to breeding them out, but wouldn't it be even more important to erase all knowledge of the prophecy?  Being a Terrisman, he knew that as long as even one Keeper lived, his secret could be discovered.  Or, in an even more twisted way, the Lord Ruler knew that the Well Spirit could manipulate the keepers into overthrowing him and finding a new hero who would release said Spirit.  Wait a minute, isn't that EXACTLY what happened? :o

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 11:10:43 PM »
I want to agree that the only reason that the Inquisitors have allomatic powers is because of the metal Vin gives Elend, and that Hemalurgy does something different, however, the place where that metal was found seemd like a very private and personal place for the lord ruler, and I don't think he would share it.  Besides, the new Inquisitors are made at the conventical of Seran, aren't they?
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 09:46:54 AM »
Yes, and they have the same allomantic powers.  The place that Vin found was the Well in the prophecy.  The Lord Ruler built his palace around it so he could protect it.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 03:58:36 PM »
I want to agree that the only reason that the Inquisitors have allomatic powers is because of the metal Vin gives Elend, and that Hemalurgy does something different, however, the place where that metal was found seemd like a very private and personal place for the lord ruler, and I don't think he would share it.  Besides, the new Inquisitors are made at the conventical of Seran, aren't they?

Aha... that certainly would explain their Mistborn powers. Obviously the Lord Ruler made the Inquisitors "dominant", so in many ways, we need to be thinking how that works out. The 15th metal, the metal Elend got, seems a logical method.

Why didn't I think of that? :P
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2008, 02:26:09 AM »
I know that the place is the well of ascension, but the Lord Ruler also made modifications (the cans, the metal map with Statlin City circled).  He could have also added the metal beads if he got them from somewhere else.  Anyway, if he did use that metal to make inquisitors, then He must have removed it from the room, because I don't think he would brink the inquisitors down to where the well was.  IT would have been something he kept hidden, from everyone, and he certainly wouldn't let an inquisitor down there, seeing as how aside from himself, they are the most powerful beings in the empire, wouldn't wan them getting any ideas now would he?
Another thing.  Did the Lord Ruler have absolute control over the inquisitors, or did he force them to obey, or did they just obey hime because he was way more powerful than them.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2008, 04:22:43 PM »
I'm sure you are right about him keeping that room secret, it's probably why he had that storage room in between; all that metal would hide the door to the Well room from the SI's and any Allomancers.  The Steel Inquisitors are created from devout followers of the Lord Ruler's religion, so they see him as a God.  However, just in case they got any bright ideas, he can easily kill them by removing the "lynch pin" spike in their back, and he could do it with Allomancy, as he was powerful enough to affect metals inside the body.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2008, 12:09:09 AM »
I thought that too, but I was also wondering if the Lord Ruler used the power he took from the well of ascension to command them like Ruin did. 
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Plasman

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2008, 12:28:07 AM »
i'm not so sure that the lord ruler would have kept the room completely secret. i just don't buy that he took the time to put all of thos cans down there (on shelves i think) all by himself. we're talking about a self-proclaimed god here. i think he would consider himself above that kind of labor. maybe he had groups of skaa do it and them just slaughtered them all?
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Shost

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2008, 04:04:47 AM »
maybe he had groups of skaa do it and them just slaughtered them all?

that seems pretty logical to me. and for the record i don't think the lord ruler controlled them through the well. if that were the case he wouldn't have to be so picky about who he chose to become an inquisitor. we learn from Marsh's experience that they only choose the most devout and accomplished of those in the ministry.

i also seem to recall that Sazed on his trip to the conveticle of Seran sees all the bodies and some spikes and is under the impression that the inquisitors "swelled their ranks" or something along those lines. he's confused because inqs in the past have always been choosy about who they let join them. but no need to worry about that now since Ruin can apparently turn good men like Marsh into followers even if not of their own will.