Author Topic: End of MB2 ****SPOILERS****  (Read 2859 times)

Ogge

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • ogrens website
End of MB2 ****SPOILERS****
« on: February 28, 2008, 01:50:45 PM »
Did everyone who were present at the well become Mistborn? or did Elend just had the powers all along?
"Kneel or you will be knelt."

www.sveaulvar.com

cathar

• Level 2
    • View Profile
Re: End of MB2 ****SPOILERS****
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 03:39:41 PM »
Elend became mistborn because of the metal he ate.

Ogge

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • ogrens website
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 04:59:12 PM »
Hummm...I must reread... I totally missed him eating anything :)

www.sveaulvar.com

Phaz

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 09:24:18 PM »
I think the answer isn't 100% clear.

Elend definitely does ingest a metal bead of some unkown sort.

The most popular opinion (IMO) is that this is some metal that turns him into a Mistborn.

However, there are at least some people who think that isn't the case, and he was all along, it's just that being stabbed in this situation was what caused him to "snap" and the metal was just pewter. 

I don't think the metal itself is actually identified as one that specifically is known or unknown.

Ogge

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • ogrens website
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 10:56:35 PM »
Hummm...I must reread... I totally missed him eating anything :)

I reread the last chapter and I had missed two pages... doh? :)

www.sveaulvar.com

CrystalKitten

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 02:17:53 AM »
I think that's how I read the ending too the first time through... That the Well gave him powers, and the metal was just pewter, which helped him cope with the injury.  If I remember right (I'd check the book but I'm in the process of packing and have already packed all my books away)he only ate the one metal... So if it was one that made him a mistborn, why did his injury get better, if all it did was give him the power.  If he didn't have pewter, even if he was mistborn, he wouldn't have the strength to be better.

But then, when mistborn were first created, I'm assuming that the power wasn't given up... So who knows if mistborn would be created if the power was given up. 

A lot of assumptions,  usually I pull the books out during thoughts like this, but it's in the middle of a taped up box right now.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 07:57:13 PM »
Vin helped Elend wash the bead down by giving him one of her vials of metals, so he ingested pewter along with the mystery bead and any other metals she had in the alcohol solution.   Besides, I am pretty surethat Vin would be able to identify Pewter if she saw it, and she had no idea what this metal was.  This mystery metal (some call it the 16th metal) must have made Elend a Mistborn somehow, and is probably how the Lord Ruler made himself and his followers Allomancers a thousand years ago.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 10:47:03 PM »
As I said in the Vin-Powerful thread, when reading the log book passages there is one that says Alendi looks down and sees a glassy metal like lake, and that when his friend Fedik investigates, the mist spirit stabs him.  My guess is Rashek, once he had the power, gaine the same sort of omnicience ability Vin had (she could see the mists killing people outside and that Elend was dying) and could tell what the lake really was and then used it to create allomancers.  *Sorry if Omnicience is spelled wrong
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier