Author Topic: New Mistborn One Cover Art  (Read 9472 times)

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
New Mistborn One Cover Art
« on: February 18, 2008, 09:42:19 PM »
http://www.brandonsanderson.com/graphics/mistbornpbnew.jpg

Tor is releasing a special 4.99 paperback of MISTBORN: THE FINAL EMPIRE this summer (in June) and they commissioned new cover art for it.  New art is above.  Thoughts?
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
Re: New Mistborn One Cover Art
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 09:52:15 PM »
I like the realistic-ness of it, less artsy. And ya, that's what I imagined she looks like, pretty much. Only skinnier.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Pygmalion

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 10:15:42 PM »
And younger... she looks a little old...

But that's ok... I like it muchly.
"Vision is the art of seeing the invisible" - Jonathan Swift

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 10:20:53 PM »
I think I almost love it more than the hb cover.  ALMOST!  Like, the style of the hbs are fiting, but I love the feel of the cover.  But I do agree than Vin looks a tich old.  Still, love the cover!
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Felastizairu

• Level 3
  • Defies gravity, and therefore physics.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 10:32:21 PM »
Wow... Vin looks vindictive.  I wouldn't want to mess with her in her present state!  I'm take a direction opposite the crowd and say that it's not my favorite cover; the hardback cover is my favorite.  I dunno, she just looks like a vampire slayer or something.  Also, her daggers remind of of Raphael and Ninja Turtles, but that's just me.  However, I do like the mistcloak.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
~Thomas

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 10:50:17 PM »
Awesome! That cover is freaking BA! That is pretty close to how I imagined Vin would look. I also like how the art is more realistic.
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

cloversprite

• Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Boundless
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 12:25:14 AM »
I like it a lot!  Much, much better than any of the other covers, imho.  The realism fits the novels better...the worlds are so realistic, that to have cover art that is so, "free-form", i guess, seems to clash.  This picture, though, I like!
I could not love thee, dear, so much
loved I not honor more.

Phaz

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 01:48:48 AM »
I really really like the art on the cover.

However, there are a few things about it overall that I'm not to fond of.

I think the text describing the book really doesn't do it justice.  Specifically, the last sentence in the second paragraph "Every revolt has failed miserably" just doesn't seem to fit.  It seems badly worded, like the way I would say something if I couldn't come up with anything else (and I'm really bad at that kind of thing).  Also, if you want to bring up the oppression of the Lord Ruler, it seems like there would be a more creative way to do it rather than mentioning the revolts.

The last paragraph isn't bad, but something about mentioning Allomancy bugs me.  As a new reader, I would have no clue what that is.  I don't think it helps or hurts the case.  Simply saying master the powers of a Mistborn I think would be enough, since they at least know that's the name of the book.

The first part is good I think, though the two quick sentences in the larger font at the top really wouldn't affect me buying the book.

The only other issue I have with it is all the advertising on the book of the price.  I understand their reason for releasing it in this way (from the other thread where this was talked about) but with the advertising so obvious on the cover, it gives me the impression of "Buy me because I'm cheap and we need to sell a lot of me" rather than "buy me because I'm an amazing book"

I guess in the end, that isn't such a bad thing, since once people read it, they would know the book is amazing, so if that style of cover contributes to more sales from that standpoint, then it works.  Just personally, I would be much more tempted to buy a $4.99 book that had a normal cover, with an advertising display around it with that info, than I would be to buy a book where it's part of the cover.

That is all just my (often fairly uninformed) opinion.  Keep in mind I'm just a reader, and don't have any real knowledge or experience in that kind of thing.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 01:54:30 AM »
Interesting that it doesn't say "The Final Empire" on the cover.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Craysh

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 04:36:19 AM »
I have to agree with Felastizairu in that the daggers look more like sais.
Otherwise, BA seems to sum it up nicely.

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 05:40:23 AM »
nice. I'm pleased.

Tekiel

• Level 11
  • Justin Bailey
    • View Profile
    • Tek's site
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 06:06:28 AM »
Ah, now that's going to be much easier to lend out to my friends - and then I won't have to listen to them rant about how the cover didn't match the story.

Although I agree with Phaz, I really wish they didn't put $4.99 all over the cover and side - sorta takes away the coolness of it all.
Ignorance is a common ailment.  In time, it goes away.  Unless it proves fatal.
"It is the writing of someone who assumes he has something to say." -Becca Manwaring

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 04:56:55 PM »
Tee hee! So pretty!
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Forloc

• Level 2
  • Troll Hunter
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Album
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 12:20:41 AM »
Very interesting.  Shying away from the "painting" look is good.  However, that is not what Glass/Obsidian daggers look like... Sorry!

I am kidding of course.  Very interesting interpretation.  I like the Mistcloak in this version, and the background art is incredible.

My Photo Album
When you argue with forum trolls, they win.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 01:18:16 AM »
Now *that's* more like it! This do-over makes me quite excited. OK, so Vin looks a touch older that she probably should, and the black sais are a little "off" from what the obsidian daggers should be. Still, I love the more realistic touches and how she's dressed. The $4.99 at the top is annoying, but the bottom bar about the rebate even more so. Oh, well, the cover is still a commanding one at that. Leaps and bounds better than the old PB cover.  ;D
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT