Author Topic: New Mistborn One Cover Art  (Read 10368 times)

Jhaeli

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Oh the weather outside is frightful...
    • View Profile
Re: New Mistborn One Cover Art
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2008, 02:13:23 AM »
I definitely like it. Very eye-catching.
"My task which I am trying to achieve is, by the power of the written word to make you hear, to make you feel - it is, before all, to make you see." - Joseph Conrad

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2008, 02:16:53 AM »
What's going on between her legs?  It looks like she has a tail. 

It's better, but I don't love it.
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2008, 03:34:46 AM »
I am very glad that this one turned out well. I truly despised the last paperback cover. I have to agree that Vin is holding sais, but I'm ok with that. It's hard to say whether I like this or the hardcover art better. I would say that this one captures Vin better, but the hardcover portrays the essence of the story better. Anyway, I like it.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

White

• Level 5
  • (is largely not of this world)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2008, 03:49:28 AM »
I am very glad that this one turned out well. I truly despised the last paperback cover. I have to agree that Vin is holding sais, but I'm ok with that. It's hard to say whether I like this or the hardcover art better. I would say that this one captures Vin better, but the hardcover portrays the essence of the story better. Anyway, I like it.

Yes, saw the last paperback cover yesterday actually... fuggly would be a kind way to describe the anatomical nonsense of the face in profile of that one...

This is a good/decent cover, Uh, could maybe have had a bit cooler bells and whisteles (you know, the layout and stuff going around the central illustration) but it's still compeling I suppose and will also appeal to another audience, which is a good thing of course.

I don't know, I think I'd like it better if they didn't feature that almost-electric-blue in the rest of the cover design that appears in the illustration - by matching it in the bar beneath it I think it makes the illustration less vibrant and has less of a "pop" than it could have... I think it might've looked more dashing maybe if the other layout elements were a touch more desaturated than the main illustration.

Again, the huge amount of detailing of the price is irksome...

But the mistcloak does look very cool and tres chic!  :-*
Clyde Bruckman: You know, there are worse ways to go, but I can't think of a more undignified way than auto-erotic asphyxiation.
Mulder: Why are you telling *me* that?
Clyde Bruckman: Look, forget I mentioned it. It's none of my business.

Felastizairu

• Level 3
  • Defies gravity, and therefore physics.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2008, 06:39:13 AM »
Yes, saw the last paperback cover yesterday actually... fuggly would be a kind way to describe the anatomical nonsense of the face in profile of that one...

I think that the anatomy works for the action being depicted on the first PB cover.  There has to be tension and motion in a face in the midst of action.  People don't fly through the air killing other people passively...unless maybe you're the Lord Ruler.  Also, I was always under the impression that it was Kelsier on the first PB cover... if it's supposed to be Vin, then I deem "fuggly" an appropriate description.  :)
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
~Thomas

White

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2008, 10:53:40 AM »
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/igallo/Mistborn.jpg

Yeah, here's the first PB art, and yes it is Vin, and yes the anatomy of the face is
A) fuggly, and
B) makes no anatomical sense (actually, scratch that, even taking liscence with perspective *none* of Vin's anatomy makes sense in this cover).

Which is rather unfortunate.

Plus, Vin apparently has a receding hairline - and dresses ugly.

Needless to say, the hardback one's my personal favourite (actually, I shelled out for it based pretty much purely on my liking of the cover - and justified it someone that 'at least robin hobb liked it...' also bought another book by that illustrator for same reason...), although the new paperback one is also fairly nifterifous, but I like that one for completely different reasons.

Also, I was always under the impression that it was Kelsier on the first PB cover... if it's supposed to be Vin, then I deem "fuggly" an appropriate description. :)

... the fact that you recalled it as being Kelsier on the front - oh, it speaks words.

so many, many words.
 T_T.

(I would pay $7.99 just for them to *take* the first paperback away from me).

Oddly enough, I should mention I think Jon Foster did the covers for the paperback, harback *and* the other book I bought so it boogles the mind why the first PB's cover's so *go----sh darn ugly*. If that is the case then I am annoyed because I hate people who are inconsistant. -_-
Clyde Bruckman: You know, there are worse ways to go, but I can't think of a more undignified way than auto-erotic asphyxiation.

Azhev

• Level 5
  • Wanderer of my own little world
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2008, 03:43:59 PM »
I like.  Much better than the first cover.  I'll snap this one up for sure!
"The ending of a book is, in my experience, both the best and the worst part to read.  For the ending will often decide whethet you love or hate the book."

-Alcatraz Smedry, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians, p262

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2008, 05:18:10 PM »
This is pretty much what I expected being familiar with this guy's art before hand.  I like the hazy quality of it.  To be honest, I actually like the blueish tint that the back has over the picture more. 

As far as the 4.99 on the cover, bluntly, it doesn't matter.  Most of the people who go into a store to buy a book go in being price sensitive.  Especially with this supposed downturn in the economy.  Understand, in this case the 4.99 supersedes the cover art.  The whole purpose of selling this paperback with little to no profit (some even sold for a loss) is to entice the buyer into immediately purchasing the expensive, high-profit hardback of Mistborn 3 .  Or, the purpose is to use this book as the gateway drug into Brandon's other books and to Tor's other authors.  The price is temporary, and will probably be removed from the paperback after MB3 has been out for a bit, at which point the awesome cover art will work on its own.

Im actually very excited to see MB2's paperback cover.  It could be even more awesome than this one.

As far as the knives go - meh.  The 30 of us on the forums who know the difference can shrug and say 'oh well.'  The other 30,000+ who read it will have no clue. 

I'm really happy with this cover.  It's light-years beyond the previous version. 

Imagine the displays at the front of Borders where you have this new cover with an eye-catching price, Elantris, MB2's paperback...thats good stuff...and maybe an ad on it that says, "and, oh yeah, this guy is finishing the WoT series."  The sum will be much larger than the parts.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

VegasDev

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2008, 06:10:45 PM »
I like this cover about even with the other paperback which had lightning, ravens and a fuggly vin (none of which are in the book), but I like the hardcover the best.

I don't know if I would pick up a copy of this book if it was the first time looking at a Sanderson novel though. It doesn't show any action, has the "bargain bin" labeling and almost looks like it might be a love story as opposed to a heist to overthrow the Lord Ruler. Might as well have Vin putting her arm around Elend with his shirt half way off and wind blowing his hair.  :P
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

White

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2008, 06:46:44 PM »
I like this cover about even with the other paperback which had lightning, ravens and a fuggly vin (none of which are in the book), but I like the hardcover the best.

I don't know if I would pick up a copy of this book if it was the first time looking at a Sanderson novel though. It doesn't show any action, has the "bargain bin" labeling and almost looks like it might be a love story as opposed to a heist to overthrow the Lord Ruler. Might as well have Vin putting her arm around Elend with his shirt half way off and wind blowing his hair.  :P

Hey, try not to get us all excited and flustered over here!  :o

*rofl*

Not as bad as one cover of 'The Name of the Wind' which while, technically is a fairly well executed piece.... is completely inappopriate and looks *EXACTLY* like a Mills & Boon/Harlequin Romance book complete with shirtless buff guy
(Oh Kvothe, how they murdered your artistic soul... T_T )

Though I have come to regard that cover as a treasure, as it is truly amazing how it can tick so many boxes artistically, yet at the same time be *completely* diametrically opposed to its topic.

If I could find its illustrator and get them to autograph it, that would be so awesome...

Seriously, I love that cover, but it's a truly dirty twisted love...  :D

[EDIT: Sorry, yes, did actually have to include a link to my Oh-so-blessfully innapropriate cover of my 'The Name of the Wind' Hardback.

http://www.sfsite.com/gra/0705/nwlg.jpg Isn't it just *precious* ! ? ]
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 06:50:59 PM by White »

Felastizairu

• Level 3
  • Defies gravity, and therefore physics.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2008, 06:48:59 PM »

Spare us the image!  It's like my eyes are burning!

At any rate, I think it's safe to say that both PB covers have their artistic merits.  Let's be honest, can you create something like either of those artists, because I can't!
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
~Thomas

White

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2008, 06:55:10 PM »
At any rate, I think it's safe to say that both PB covers have their artistic merits.  Let's be honest, can you create something like either of those artists, because I can't!

I've been known to be not-half-bad with the crayons once in a while.  :D

Soryn

• Level 3
  • hey hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2008, 01:49:07 AM »
I think it's much much better than the last cover. I'm glad that the style of the title was kept in the design (that was probably the only thing I liked about the first paperback cover) and I much prefer this Vin to the other, more paintingy Vin. And the mistcloak is really neat; I never thought about it being that way but it works really well.

It's not perfect, but rarely any book covers are. It is interesting to see the artist's interpretation. :3

White

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2008, 05:30:32 AM »
and it's interesting to me who sticks more by Hardback Vin, and who goes over to the Paperback # 2 camp for which they think she looks like.

Personally, I'm more the harback person but it could easily be closer to pb # 2.

It's always fun to see new spins on your favourite characters (except for fuggly vin...)

Natalie Perkins

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • NataliePerkins.cjb.net
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2008, 05:04:08 AM »
I liked it but Vin looked too old, and big. And a little too I'm-the-freaky-girl-in-your-history-class-that-wears-black-fishnets-on-my-arms-and-keeps-voodoo-dolls-of-you-in-my-backpack-that-i-enjoy-stabbing-with-safety-pins. Do you get what I'm saying?
‘Never trust a teenage boy in a room of teenage girls to be on time.’ (Wievorann Ch.6)