Author Topic: Atium Mistings?  (Read 15014 times)

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
Re: Atium Mistings?
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2008, 09:51:28 PM »
what was marsh looking for?
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2008, 09:56:30 PM »
We don't know. Whatever it was, it wasn't at the Conventical of Seran, at least not anymore.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2008, 10:34:01 PM »
Or was Ruin just bringing him there so that Sazed would find the rubbing, and just made him think that he was trying to find something?
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

darxbane

• Level 17
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2008, 08:45:46 PM »
That's what I think happened.  He vanished shortly afterwards.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2008, 10:26:32 PM »
I think Marsh found whatever it was he was looking for. We just haven't been informed as to what it was and Marsh simply played it off, to Sazed, that he did not find anything.
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2008, 04:07:54 PM »
Didn't anyone else find it odd how Marsh left Sazed alone to explore for a while, but was suddenly in a big hurry once Sazed found the plaque? There was no real reason why they couldn't have waited until Sazed read the whole thing, except of course for the fact that the last line blew the entire prophecy out of the water!   That section of the story was practically beating us over the head with how "different" Marsh seemed to be acting, especially when you look back on it knowing what we know now.  Marsh definitely completed his task there, which I believe was to restore the Prophecy of the Hero.  If Sazed had read that last line, Marsh would have killed him right there.  Instead, it was placed on a rubbing, and then in metalminds, both of which could be manipulated.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2008, 12:05:49 AM »
My thoughts exactly.
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2008, 02:06:56 AM »
OK, here's a theory about Electrum.  Would it not be possible for someone with electrum do the same thing as with atium, they see before hand that they are going to get stabbed or die, so they are able to avoid it, which would split their atium shadow the other person is seeing in two, which would make the chain reaction of shadow you normally get with two atium burners.
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2008, 04:17:36 PM »
That's possible, although we would have to know how far into the future electrum allows you to see.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2008, 10:00:42 PM »
Well, malatium allowed Vin to see a thousand years into the past to see the Lord Ruler before the Ascension. Electrum could see similarly far.

That, or the amount of time you can see is just based on the speed of the plot, and nothing especially theoretical.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2008, 11:25:50 PM »
But gold can look very far back as well, perhaps malatium just looked far back because the lord ruler is so old, but since electrum is a future metal, like atium, I think it would see a similar distance, since the past metals both do.
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 22, 2008, 04:53:35 PM »
I can't remember exactly, but doesn't gold show you different possibe versions of yourself based on past choices?  This is a little different than viewing your past.  I wonder how that could be helpful.  anyway, does that mean that electrum lets you see more than one possible future version of yourself?  I am not sure if it would help with Atium directly, but it could help you decide to not do something that would put you in a situation where you might die.

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2008, 07:25:01 PM »
I'm lost... which ones electrum?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2008, 09:20:39 PM »
darxbane, I think your description of gold's effect is correct. And you're not the only one who wonders how that could be helpful. :) IIRC, Kelsier says that's why gold pretty much never gets used.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2008, 11:08:02 PM »
Gold is really only useful as  a self examination tool, it's really too distracting to even think of using in a fight, even if it did help.
Darxbane you a corrrect, but Malatium still does the same thing as gold, showing possible selves.  The images of the lord ruler are who he could have been had he made differnet choices, one was to be a packman like he was supposed to be, i forget the other one.

Wait, what was the other one, do you think it's significant???

I think it would be sort of liek Vin is doing with Zane at the end, seeing you're own fate, so that would change what you are about to do. and doing so would give you another shadow.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 11:09:34 PM by Comatose »
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier