Author Topic: Atium Mistings?  (Read 15013 times)

charity

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Atium Mistings?
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2008, 04:19:49 PM »
Yes, but if he wasn't shipping it to Luthadel then don't you think Elend's family would have figured that out? Or at least had some hint of it?

I'm of the mind that he used it up on something. Like keeping the Deepness under control and since he died, he couldn't feed it any more atium and thereby it grew more powerful.... I don't know, maybe not, but I do think it's gone because he used it on something.

Shost

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2008, 06:26:53 PM »
that does seem like a possibility charity but i doubt he would have used it all. it was after all the economic foundation for his entire empire. i get the feeling the ventures shipped the metal into the city and the lord ruler then moved it out. maybe using a few skaa and then having them killed when their job was finished.

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2008, 07:13:14 PM »
I'm with Charity on this one, I'm thinking he used it all up somehow. While yes it was supposedly where all his wealth came from I believe that was all just a front. This is supported by the fact that absolutely noone(or at least it's not mentioned) has actual seen a large quantity of it at any one place. Also, he feeds the illusion by selling just a little bit to various nobles along way. What he used it on I'm not exactly sure but maybe it's used in the process of making inquisitors or maybe it was used to fight off the well spirit. I'm not sure but my gut tells me he used all of it or most of it in some way.
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2008, 08:29:35 PM »
That wouldn't be any fun at all.  If he used that much of it, he would have noticed the amount that Straff was keeping for himself (you know he would have).  The Lord Ruler was all about control.  He controlled the nobles by allowing them to fight amongst themselves, and the best way to do that is to supply their most powerful weapons (Mistborn) with the most powerful metal.  He would dole it out very carefully, so he'd probably have plenty to spare, even with the Atium used to make a spike for each Inquisitor (my theory). 
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Shost

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2008, 12:11:03 AM »
my thoughts exactly. and besides the lord ruler himself was an allomancer. he wouldn't want to have a bunch of other mistborn running around with a lot more atium than he himself had now would he.

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2008, 04:11:56 AM »
The Lord Ruler was so powerful that I doubt he really concerned himself with other mistborn, look at how he tossed Vin around and she's  supposedly the most powerful mistborn there was (or is now) and she needed the mists to help her.

Plus IMO it's way more fun to have the atium all gone then to have everyone discover it and then fight over it.

Also, why would the Lord Ruler notice that Straff was hoarding Atium when he was reshipping it somewhere but not if he was using it? He would have noticed it either way or neither way.

I think it was a front, and that the Inquisitor's were in on it... the only flaw in my theory is that of Marsh, if it was used in some way that the inquisitor's were aware of (like CM said perhaps) then how come Marsh doesn't know? Or if he does why did he keep it from them? If the Inquisitor's were in on it, MAYBE he just hadn't learned that before everything went down the tubes...

Also, why are the Inquisitor's up destroying all of the Keeper's? What are they trying to hide? I think it's all tied together... maybe this just comes from reading to much, but I don't think author's leave holes in plots (multiple holes) without them intertwining, (obviously) in this case I think the Atium missing and the Inquisitor behavior is linked, I think they are trying to keep the truth hidden, whatever truth that is...

I mean, they killed all the skaa that had anything to do with them (in the Cantacle... or whatever it's called). Why? Maybe they knew something, like what the atium was being used for? And since the we know this is a world affected by metals on mulitple levels, including the writing etched on the walls that Sazed finds, why is it not plausible that atium has more than one use?

Just my thoughts... But, EUOL has a tendency to throw my preconceived idea's of how plots are supposed to run out the window. That's why I like his work so much.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 04:15:09 AM by charity »

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2008, 01:13:58 PM »
I agree. I hardly think the Lord Ruler feared any other mistborn. Just look at how he brushe aside Kelsier one of the greatest mistborn to have ever lived. The Lord Ruler truly thought he was and god and that he was invincible. So giving out atium here and there to nobles and their mistborn would not concern him in any way. As far as the abnormal behavior of the inquisitors go, I think it's due to the well spirit controlling them to do various things in prepartion for and to assist in it's escape.
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2008, 08:03:56 PM »
First off, Kelsier was far from the most powerful who ever lived.  Vin's Kandra mentioned the fact that Allomancers of the present were far less powerful than those of the past. Plus, he didn't know of Duralumin.  The Lord Ruler was attempting to breed out Feruchemy from his own people, both to destroy any history but his own and to prevent someone else from becoming a Ferchemist/Allomancer hybrid.  He doesn't leave anything to chance.  He would not lose control of this item. 

It would not surprise me that the Inquisitors had some knowledge of where the stash was, as they were probably assigned to protect it.  However, their actions post lord ruler are not their own.  They are being controlled by an evil force (see the comprehensive metalurgy thread), and they killed the Skaa at the Conventicle of Seran in order to create new Inquisitors, as Hemallurgy requires a blood sacrifice.

Finally, the writings etched in steel were made because they could not be manipulated.  Words written or etched in paper, and even the memories stored in metal minds could be changed by this same evil force.  This is why Kwaan etches his diary in steel.

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2008, 06:20:17 AM »
The Lord Ruler has had thousands of years to get lazy, he knows that the Mistborns are weaker, he doesn't anticipate any resistance, he makes this clear when he discusses how tired of all these 'attempts'. Or how he casually throws Marsh aside, and doesn't even bat an eye to check on whether he's still a threat, he's over confident.

We do not know that's why the Skaa in the conventicle were killed, that's purely speculation, for me as well as you. I agree they are being controlled, but I also think they know something.

My point about the writing was that the metals can be used in multiple ways for multiple purposes, so why can't atium?

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2008, 04:56:00 PM »
I know it's speculation, but it just makes so much sense, especially showing the spikes with blood on them?  Why would EUOL show this to us, and have Sazed think how it looked just like an Inquisitor's spike, then show all the dead and mangled bodies?  EUOL even has Sazed speculate how Marsh hasn't really been specific about how Inquisitors are created, and the Marsh seemed "different".  He even just up and disappeared the next day, after conveniently showing Sazed Kwaan's writing while not giving him enough time to read the whole thing.  There didn't seem to be any other purpose for going there.

My point about the writing was that the metals can be used in multiple ways for multiple purposes, so why can't atium?

I agree.  I still think the Lord Ruler would keep a stash.  Now, if you are suggesting that the Inq's took it all after he died, I could go with that.

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2008, 05:25:29 AM »
Okay, I can see him keeping a stash, not getting rid of it all. But I don't think its this massive cache that everyone is expecting, I still think it's been used elsewhere.

And the Inq.'s taking it with them? hmm, interesting idea.

Hero of Ages

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2008, 08:28:24 AM »
The Inquisitors couldn't have taken the atium with them from Kredi Shaw because Marsh killed all of the ones there at the time.  The only way they could have taken all of the atium is if it were stored else where in the Final Empire.
I must not fear;
Fear is the mind killer;
I will face my fear;
I will let it pass through me;
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing;
Only I will remain.
-Paul Muad'dib Atreides-

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself.
-Me-

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2008, 08:04:52 PM »
My guess would be Statlin City, the circle sity on the Lord Ruler's map.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2008, 03:35:45 PM »
My guess would be Statlin City, the circle sity on the Lord Ruler's map.

That's was my point.  It's probably a safehouse the Lord Ruler created while there were still realistic threats to his existence.  Even though he may have no longer felt anyone could challenge him, old habits die hard.  Besides that, letting people think the Atium was in Kredik Shaw turned out to be a good trap for Skaa thieves, especially Allomancers.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2008, 06:07:42 PM »
I'm of the mind that he used it up on something. Like keeping the Deepness under control and since he died, he couldn't feed it any more atium and thereby it grew more powerful.... I don't know, maybe not, but I do think it's gone because he used it on something.

I've been wondering, recently, why atium is so special. It's the only metal Brandon made up for Mistborn, it's only produced in one place--and its a very peculiar place, at that. It seems far too unique to just be used for... Allomancy.

I've also always wondered about how the Lord Ruler keeps Ruin under control. In WoA, Vin describes its power like you burn it away in an instant and then it's gone. Well, obviously, the Lord Ruler didn't do a very good job--Ruin is still prevalent (though you can't exactly 'defeat' a force of nature, not totally). The point is, after he burned the Well's power away, there was something he was doing by simply existing that kept Ruin/Deepness away.

Using atium could be how he does it. I understand others' concern about the Lord Ruler's control over the economy, but in reality, he doesn't care. That's the whole point of MB1, to show that this self-proclaimed "god" isn't a god. He's not incredibly smart or anything, he just has lots of magical power. He lets house wars go out of control to keep the nobility in check. His obligators see everything that goes on. He has plenty of control to go around.

Plus, having him stave off the Deepness gives him quite a bit of control in the world, you have to admit.

I agree with charity, there could still be some atium as a cache, but the Lord Ruler wouldn't need all of it. No way.  He's been using it.

Quote from: darxbane
I know it's speculation, but it just makes so much sense, especially showing the spikes with blood on them?  Why would EUOL show this to us, and have Sazed think how it looked just like an Inquisitor's spike, then show all the dead and mangled bodies?  EUOL even has Sazed speculate how Marsh hasn't really been specific about how Inquisitors are created, and the Marsh seemed "different".  He even just up and disappeared the next day, after conveniently showing Sazed Kwaan's writing while not giving him enough time to read the whole thing.  There didn't seem to be any other purpose for going there.

Marsh was looking for something, actually, but didn't find it.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.