Author Topic: Atium Mistings?  (Read 15015 times)

smashingsilver

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Atium Mistings?
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2008, 04:11:53 AM »
By the way, there are no Shades in WOT - I think you are referring to "Fades".

As for the primary discussion, I vote for Seers - all the other names have different connotations attached to them.

Natalie Perkins

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • NataliePerkins.cjb.net
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2008, 04:49:07 AM »
I don't like any of them.
Shade... no, overused to the point where its no longer bad ass... just lame.
Oracle... no, its too 99-cent-psychic
Seer... no, its too cliche-fantasy-version-of-99-cent-psychic
... it has to be original. And those are not.
‘Never trust a teenage boy in a room of teenage girls to be on time.’ (Wievorann Ch.6)

White

• Level 5
  • (is largely not of this world)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2008, 06:28:53 AM »
I don't like any of them.
Shade... no, overused to the point where its no longer bad ass... just lame.
Oracle... no, its too 99-cent-psychic
Seer... no, its too cliche-fantasy-version-of-99-cent-psychic
... it has to be original. And those are not.

Yes, I think people do realise that - but it's da-...rn hard to think up a name for them which you probably also realised as you weren't able to suggest something additional - hence where our quandary is -_-
Clyde Bruckman: You know, there are worse ways to go, but I can't think of a more undignified way than auto-erotic asphyxiation.
Mulder: Why are you telling *me* that?
Clyde Bruckman: Look, forget I mentioned it. It's none of my business.

VegasDev

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2008, 06:04:57 PM »
Also overused would be prophet, but it's ironic in a way. You have to spend your profit to be a prophet.

Edit: Breeze would say something like "Never gamble with a prophet, because that's just what they'll do."
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 06:09:31 PM by VegasDev »
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

Felastizairu

• Level 3
  • Defies gravity, and therefore physics.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2008, 09:32:40 PM »
Also overused would be prophet, but it's ironic in a way. You have to spend your profit to be a prophet.

Edit: Breeze would say something like "Never gamble with a prophet, because that's just what they'll do."

Haha, that was a classic play on words.  Thanks for making my day!
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
~Thomas

Survivors Apostale

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2008, 11:52:25 PM »
Cosmic, I completely agree, and I think we all agree that the mistings are out there just not found.

The best way I think for noble famlies to have found out was to start shoving metals down the person's mouth. They are rich enough to loose gold and what not. And even with atium they could just have the person puke it back up, and as disgusting as that sounds, most mistborn's wouldn't mind. Atium is atuim, and always gona be pretty strong for it.

As for other ideas for a name, let's try, soothsayer, clairvoyant, augur, revealer, auspex, diviner, or visionary.

Of those  I like soothsayer, because it sounds awesome, and takes me bake to rome. And Clairvoyant, which just rolls off the tongue. after that the only other one is Diviner, but it is not as origanol as the others.

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2008, 08:48:08 AM »
Just throwing this out there....What if they were just called a glimpse?

As in...

"Hey did you just see that atium burner over there?"
"Oh. You mean the Glimpse?"

Maybe it's not as neat sounding as a soothsayer, but hey I think it works...kind of....
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

White

• Level 5
  • (is largely not of this world)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2008, 09:14:00 AM »
Yeah, glimpse or glimpsers is actually very appropriate sounding to me!

sounds like a fairly accurate description of what they do - Good idea!  :D
Clyde Bruckman: You know, there are worse ways to go, but I can't think of a more undignified way than auto-erotic asphyxiation.
Mulder: Why are you telling *me* that?
Clyde Bruckman: Look, forget I mentioned it. It's none of my business.

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2008, 01:20:03 AM »
I like Glimpse too...

And by dark and bad I meant ring-wraith dark and bad... I hardly see any Misting like that, I see them more as the ultimate in assassin's.

There's always something like.... sight... oooh, or how 'bout a ken....

meaning:
a range of sight or vision

As in beyond one's ken

just an idea

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2008, 07:47:27 PM »
Sorry to blow your entire discussion here, but during my second readthrough of WoA, I noticed on p. 26, when Vin burns atium in the first battle of the book, that only a Mistborn can burn atium.

Either we take that as very literal fact, or we think about the fact that apparently, Mistings only exist in the first eight "basic" Allomantic metals, yet that's only half of all the metals (if you take in account the existence of metal 15 and 16). Any ideas why that is?
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Shost

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2008, 05:08:08 AM »
Mistings only exist in the first eight "basic" Allomantic metals, yet that's only half of all the metals (if you take in account the existence of metal 15 and 16). Any ideas why that is?

well i think it was mentioned earlier that its just too impractical. most mistings discover their talent by accident when burning trace metals either from their water or from dinnerware (i'm thinking pewter here). the higher metals are so rare that it's not practical to have every noble ingest a bit of metal and hope their able to burn it. i mean what if this person is an atium misting but just hasn't snapped yet. i think its pretty likely that there are mistings for the higher metals but they either haven't snapped or haven't ever ingested the appropriate metal. oh and i'm not sure but i think EUOL may have mentioned in a post that an atium misting may be possible.

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2008, 05:44:43 AM »
Also I think it's entirely possible, and I wouldn't feel it was stretching it, to say that there were atium mistings but no one knew about them because of the impracticality.

They only thought there were the 10 basic metals at first, and then they begin to learn how wrong they were about that, so why can't that be true for misting power's as well.

Shost

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2008, 05:57:33 AM »
thats true charity. everyone probably just assumes that the information they are being force fed is true. there are only 10 metals. mistings can be only for the lower eight. and since nobody (like the lord ruler) ever bothered to correct that people took began to take the information for granted. and since the lord ruler frowns upon invention and modernity in general people don't look into it. especially since being 'frowned upon' by a pseudo-deity can often mean just plain dead... :D

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2008, 02:53:28 PM »
That's true. Due to the miracle of perspective, you always see things in the context of the character. Vin, perhaps, has certain assumptions, which would lead her to exclude the existence of atium mistings.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2008, 09:21:46 PM »
Another point:  would anyone think to give someone Atium just to see if they could burn it?  I can see testing people out with brass or zinc or even copper, but the most precious of all metals?  Even if there were Atium Mistings, I doubt the Mistborns would share it.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.