Author Topic: Atium Mistings?  (Read 15010 times)

Survivors Apostale

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Atium Mistings?
« on: February 14, 2008, 12:34:23 AM »
We have all stumbled around it. But what would you call one of these mistings, you know the cool name like, thug, lurcher, or soother? So far I've come up with Seerer or maybe an Oricale (Sp?). Thoughts?

Craysh

• Level 2
    • View Profile
Re: Atium Mistings?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 12:48:50 AM »
Seer was my first though too, and Oracle would be down right cool.
I thought it would be cool if atium burners were called shades since they see shadows of the future.

mists59

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 12:49:24 AM »
We know atium allows you to see th near future in the form of shadows sohow about ShadowSeers  :)
There's always another Secret.

White

• Level 5
  • (is largely not of this world)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 12:15:57 PM »
For-eyes maybe in that they forsee the movements?
Failling that maybe Jumpers or Pouncers etc as they get a head start.

Don't think atium mistings would ever be a really prevalent group though, for a while because it's too valuable to waste finding them.

I guess you could just call them "Expensive" then.
Clyde Bruckman: You know, there are worse ways to go, but I can't think of a more undignified way than auto-erotic asphyxiation.
Mulder: Why are you telling *me* that?
Clyde Bruckman: Look, forget I mentioned it. It's none of my business.

VegasDev

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 06:54:15 PM »
For all we know, there are a bunch of them walking around, they just aren't seen because they can get out of your line of site just before you look there.
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

Survivors Apostale

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 07:39:07 PM »
Or they can't aford Atium, and there for have no Idea they have the power. And yes Expensive seems to fit best  ;D. Though I do like ShadowSeer, or Oracle.

White

• Level 5
  • (is largely not of this world)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 07:41:59 PM »
For all we know, there are a bunch of them walking around, they just aren't seen because they can get out of your line of site just before you look there.

Yeah, are they burning that supply of mysteriously invisible atium?
Clyde Bruckman: You know, there are worse ways to go, but I can't think of a more undignified way than auto-erotic asphyxiation.
Mulder: Why are you telling *me* that?
Clyde Bruckman: Look, forget I mentioned it. It's none of my business.

Craysh

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 11:51:47 PM »
Or they can't aford Atium, and there for have no Idea they have the power. And yes Expensive seems to fit best  ;D. Though I do like ShadowSeer, or Oracle.
Just bring them to hathsin and lick the geodes :P

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 05:50:23 AM »
Aren't there characters in another book called Shades? hmmm, what book is that, it's killing me! But I KNOW I've heard of it before....

Hero of Ages

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 07:34:41 AM »
Aren't there characters in another book called Shades? hmmm, what book is that, it's killing me! But I KNOW I've heard of it before....

Yes, it is from Eragon and Eldest by Christopher Paolini
I must not fear;
Fear is the mind killer;
I will face my fear;
I will let it pass through me;
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing;
Only I will remain.
-Paul Muad'dib Atreides-

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself.
-Me-

Craysh

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 11:20:22 AM »
And before that WHEEL OF TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!
Shade, Myrddraal, Eyeless, Halfman, Neverborn,! :P

Survivors Apostale

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 01:02:56 PM »
Shades are known through the ages in many a many a book. Most recently I believe, was the Everis Cale Triology and the Twilight War Triology as well. These of course steming from the even older books of the "Return of the Archmage" when the shadow enclave (almost all shades) returned from the shadow plane and back to faerun.

Anyways, you'll find Shades in many a tales of mythology. Enough that if Atium mistings went by the name, that don't think BranSand would need to pay any dues to any one person.

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 10:58:12 PM »
ah, well that's where, TWOT and Paolini's books... I get confused after a while, there seems to be dark, dangerous, cloak covered creatures that instill terror in everything they come across, in every book and I get confused on which ones are which.
Ring Wraith's
Mydraal
Dementor's

it gets confusing.

I don't like an atium misting being called a shade for that reason, it's to dark and.... bad... maybe seer is better.

Survivors Apostale

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2008, 04:01:25 AM »
Really? To dark and bad? Most mistings are seen as this way anyhow. I like the name Shade, but it doesn't seem to cover the full extent of their powers. Seer or Oracle seem to be the best fit for these and still fill the mysterious slot.

Cosmic_AC

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2008, 03:16:40 AM »
It certainly seems like Mistings of all the metals are possible, but the problem is knowing who is who.

All the "basic" metals -- the ones Mistings are known to use -- are present in trace amounts when one drinks from a metal cup, takes liquid from a metal pipe, eats from a plate, etc.  Thus, Mistings typically discover their powers "accidentally" when they ingest the metal.

That's the only way to know if you're a Misting: by burning something.

This is as good a reason as any as to why there are no Atium, Malatium, Gold, or Electrum Mistings; all of those metals are expensive and are not a part of a normal person's diet.  The only way these would get into your reserves would be if you ate them, which is not something a "normal" person would do.  Mistborn are the only ones who use those four metals, because they know they can use them.

For all "we" know, there could also (technically) be Mistings that are able to use Aluminum and Duralumin, but they'd be completely useless, since that pair neutralizes or augments the other metals.  Aluminum and Duralumin would drain the Misting's reserves of other metals, but the Misting would not use the other metals anyway, so what's the point?

By the way, it occurs to me that there ought to be an eighth pair -- one that neutralizes someone else's metals, and another that augments someone else's metals.  Perhaps that will be revealed in the third book.  Or perhaps it won't.