Author Topic: Atium Mistings?  (Read 15370 times)

Cosmic_AC

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Atium Mistings?
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2008, 10:24:28 AM »
That was my point before: people wouldn't.  Nobody would waste any metals on someone they didn't know was capable of Allomancy.  The only reason anyone knows about any Mistings is because the eight "basic" Metals are found in trace elements in things like silverware and metallic goblets.  Nobody force-feeds other people Pewter to see if they're potential Thugs; they just notice an increased strength one day and figure out that it's because they ate tomatoes or something from a dish that was made of pewter.  Similarly, Tineyes just experience greater sensitivity after drinking from a tin cup, etc.

Of course the metals they "discover" their powers with are impure, so they would obviously get a greatly diminished effect (just like Vin's "luck" was incredibly limited compared to what she can do now!)  However, the idea is that pretty much all of the "basic" Metals can be ingested unintentionally, and pretty much everyone has at least a few of them in their stomachs at any given time.

Mistborn, since they are able to burn any metal, know they can get away with burning stuff like atium, gold, electrum, duralumin, etc.  However, common people wouldn't even dream of wasting such precious metals unless they were sure it would work, or they didn't mind gagging up a few rare metals if it didn't.  Atium Mistings, if they even exist, would be tremendously rare because Atium itself is worth a fortune, and nobody wants to swallow any in case they can't use it.  Sure, they could probably puke most of it up again (like Vin did with the lead ball) but if it's only a slim chance, normal folks probably wouldn't waste their time.

Heck, for all we know all Nobles have some sort of Allomantic power; it's just that the people who seem "normal" either have yet to Snap or only have the ability to work with one of the more exotic metals -- and would think it a waste to try them all and see.

It's even possible that there are Aluminum and Duralumin Mistings, although these would be completely useless and about the same as normal people -- albeit normal people that can break down metals in their stomachs faster than most people.

And the more I think about Aluminum and Duralumin, the more I think there ought to be an eighth pair: one metal that augments someone else's power (like an External Duralumin) and another that inhibits someone else's power (like an External Aluminum).  Granted, the External-Aluminum family would be like cheating, in a way, but given the pattern, this really would make a lot of sense.

So far, what we know is that there are two metals for each type of effect: one for the Internal side of the effect, and one for the External side of the effect.  The alloy and the base metal form a pair of either the Internal or External attribute of the effect, with opposite results.  For example, Tin makes the user (Internal) physically sensitive, while Pewter (the alloy) makes the user (Internal) physically more durable and powerful.  Together with Iron and Steel, they form the "Physical" effect family; Iron and Steel are external effects.

Similarly, Atium tells what someone else will do in the future (External, Temporal, Future = Pushing?) while Malatium tells what someone has done in the past (External, Temporal, Past = Pulling?).  Gold tells what you looked like in the past, and I would assume that Electrum tells what you will do in the future (another way around Atium?  This would have a similar effect to what Vin did when she observed Zane observing her future actions, correct?).

Therefore, if the Effect for the Aluminum family is "Internal, Power" there must also be another base/alloy metal group that has yet to be discovered, which will either increase or decrease another person's power.  It also remains to be seen exactly to what degree the effect occurs, and how quickly or slowly the metal burns.  Malatium, for example, tells you someone else's distant past, while Atium only tells you someone else's very near future.  If there is a similar effect imbalance inherent in the "Power" families, then perhaps the "External, Power, Inhibition" metal only decreases the degree to which another person can use metals -- rather than snuffing them all out the way Aluminum does.  On the  other hand, it's possible that the "External, Power, Augmentation" metal increases someone else's power exponentially, and for an extended period of time, producing an effect much greater than Duralumin would!  There's no way of knowing.

Besides, metals can also have side-effects not necessarily reflected in their alloys or opposing families; Atium speeds up your reaction time so you can make sense of the future-images in time to act on them.  Malatium, however, does not seem to have an observable effect on the user's thinking processes.  In theory, Atium shouldn't even be able to speed up the user's thought processes, as it is generally considered an External effect.

There are exceptions to every rule, I suppose.

charity

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2008, 04:01:02 PM »
It makes me wonder if the inquisitor's haven't been experimenting. I mean *if* we go with the theory that they have to have one misting for each of the basic metal's to make themselves, then that would suggest that they knew about and searched for atium and other sorts of mistings....

who knows, I 'm excited for book 3, I hope some of this gets resolved!

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2008, 04:21:37 PM »
Oh Cosmic, it's definitely possible that there is a 15th and 16th metal--likely, even. There's a theory going around that the metal Elend ate at the Well of Ascension is one of that pair.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2008, 02:35:16 AM »
Being just an atium misting might also not be of much use.  What good is it seeing the future, if there's no way for you to stop the pewter powerd thug coming after you?  You'd be able to dodge certainly, but you woudn't be able to do anything to hurt them really, unless you were an extremely skilled fighter.  And once they corner you or your atium burns out, your toast.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2008, 03:58:19 PM »
That's a good point, Comatose.  I also think that the Mistborn, having significant influence, would take all the Atium for themselves and not share it with a Misting, as they would be more effective.  And you can forget about a Skaa Atium Misting.  Unless a Skaa slave in the Pits decided to eat one because they went crazy, they woudn't even have an opportunity to find out.  It is possible that Mistings can only be of the 8 common metals.  That would end the discussion on this thread, however, and that's no fun. :D 
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

rjl

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2008, 12:17:07 AM »
Being just an atium misting might also not be of much use.  What good is it seeing the future, if there's no way for you to stop the pewter powerd thug coming after you?  You'd be able to dodge certainly, but you woudn't be able to do anything to hurt them really, unless you were an extremely skilled fighter.  And once they corner you or your atium burns out, your toast.
atium misting, you dodge and stab the thug with your knife, having known exactly where he would be.

Shost

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2008, 04:11:59 AM »
atium misting, you dodge and stab the thug with your knife, having known exactly where he would be.

and then they continue standing and bash in your face before they die whenever their pewter runs out.

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2008, 05:46:22 AM »
or you run first... or stab them with your knife or slit their throat. I think I wouldn't mind being an atium misting, if for any reason but that it'd let me live a little longer. I can imagine a thief would love to have that ability.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2008, 08:13:07 PM »
You would never get away from someone burning Pewter.  It would be a great asset for someone who is protecting a dignitary, though.  It would take an insane amount of atium to keep up the power, but it would be nice to see the assassin's strike before it happens.

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2008, 09:30:25 PM »
Maybe I missed something here but what ever happened to the boatload of atium the Lord Ruler had? You can simply answer that he never had it and he made it up but we know he was constantly mining the stuff from the Pits of Hatsin so where did it all go?
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2008, 09:43:14 PM »
I think it is in that village that was circled on the inner sanctum wall, before Vin enters the well, but I can't think of the name right now.

Shost

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2008, 10:42:29 PM »
statlin city was circled. and i was under the same impression that that is where the atium is hidden. i don't think the lord ruler would have wanted to hide the base for his economy in the city itself in case it was ever taken. everyone assumed it was in the city so to take it (to them) would mean getting the lord ruler's atium. the lord ruler strikes me as a person who does the opposite of what people expect.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2008, 11:29:33 PM »
I agree with the Statlin city theory, and I think it runs true with who the Lord ruler is.  He actaully was very cautious for a person who under almost all conditions needn't fear death.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Shost

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2008, 05:11:03 AM »
he didn't need to fear death but that doesn't mean a really good thief (on the level of kelsier perhaps) couldn't manage to sneak away his stash of atium. putting it where they don't expect made it impossible for him to lose economic control over his empire.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2008, 03:52:38 PM »
In addition, not having the stash in Luthadel meant not having to transport it to Luthadel.  This would minimize the risk of the Atium shipments being hijacked.  No one would suspect this, either.