3 (8.8%)
smoker
0 (0%)
tineye
2 (5.9%)
thug
10 (29.4%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: Poll Time!  (Read 6702 times)

achren99

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Poll Time!
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2008, 10:51:45 PM »
Most of them would be awesome, but in the end...I decided strength is the way to go.  I'm surprised that I chose thug--but really--it would be the most beneficial.  Plus--I'm not a very big person and it would be awesome to be able to beat up people (this is bringing out the violent side of me I guess...)  :) 

Craysh

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2008, 11:01:22 PM »
I just thought of something.
It would REALLY suck if all you could burn is aluminum or  duralumin.
Also, I always thought it was strange that all metals have a internal and external variant, but aluminum are both internal.

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2008, 11:21:47 PM »
While it's true duralumin effects something inside of a mistborn it is technically an external metal since it effects the metals and not the person.
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

Craysh

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2008, 12:06:58 AM »
Too bad, it'd be kind of interesting if you could "burn out" an enemy.

White

• Level 5
  • (is largely not of this world)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2008, 12:03:48 PM »
If I was going to go outside the standard 8, I would go for Numero 10, Malatium which allows you to see others pasts - it would be interesting if nothing else. Though I guess Atium's pretty darn fun sounding too.

Speaking of Allomany in theory: has anyone ever considered if physically smaller Mistings/Mistborn (including say, Vin) get more bang for their buck, so to speak in terms of perhaps the metal lasting longer - because if they're smaller maybe they use it up at a slower rate, and therefore are more efficient - though possibly not if they were a thug, or coinshot, or pusher where physical mass could come more in handy to offset that?
Clyde Bruckman: You know, there are worse ways to go, but I can't think of a more undignified way than auto-erotic asphyxiation.
Mulder: Why are you telling *me* that?
Clyde Bruckman: Look, forget I mentioned it. It's none of my business.

Survivors Apostale

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2008, 01:21:00 PM »
Like a little person getting drunk faster when drinking?

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2008, 05:06:03 PM »
I would totally be a soother. I am like that most of the time around my house anyway. I would like to be better at it, but I am pretty good if I do say so myself ;) With two boys and a bi-polar husband it kind of is a learned trait though.

White

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2008, 06:15:21 PM »

Yeah, exactly like that, a lower volume of alchohol is necessary to be drunk for smaller people, so - therefore maybe the metals of mistings of lesser size would last longer, because they needed to burn less of it to reap its benefit, than physically larger mistings?

I mean, I mainly raised this point when it occured to me that in situations involving Vin and another mistborn (or hey, a misting able to use atium...) where each were using a same sized portion of atium -- her supply might out last theirs.

Plus, by that logic she'd be cheaper to run in the long term.
Like... 'Economies of (small) Scale'
 ;D
Clyde Bruckman: You know, there are worse ways to go, but I can't think of a more undignified way than auto-erotic asphyxiation.

Jhaeli

• Level 3
  • Oh the weather outside is frightful...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2008, 06:49:32 PM »
I would totally be a Tineye. :) Being able to perceive above and beyond would be brilliant.
"My task which I am trying to achieve is, by the power of the written word to make you hear, to make you feel - it is, before all, to make you see." - Joseph Conrad

VegasDev

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2008, 07:38:04 PM »
Like I said, I chose thug. Here are the reasons I did not choose the others.

Coinshot's are cool only because they can fly, but thugs can probably jump pretty far/high when flaring. Coinshots can shoot metal to take people out, but a thug could carry a crossbow or even throw something fast enough to kill someone with the strength and speed they have and they are not limited to metal which can be deflected. If anyone has seen Randy Johnson hitting a pigeon while pitching, you'll know what I mean. Lurchers can do pull ups and steal your money, that's about it. A thug can do both of those things. :)

Soothers/Rioters are pretty cool because they can manipulate people's emotions, but I think this is something that a thug could learn to do without allomancy, but obviously not to the same extent. What made Breeze great was not his allomantic ability, but his ability to read outward expressions.

A smoker is worthless by himself, but helpfull with a team. A seeker can find other allomancers but not if they have a smoker. Vin was the only Allomancer that could pierce a copper cloud. So in a sense, Smoker and Seekers cancel each other out.

Tineye's are cool because they can see, hear and smell real well. The other senses aren't as usefull. A thug could carry a spyglass and a hearing horn, although it would attract a little attention but a smelloscope hasn't been invented yet in their world so give the edge to Tineye.

So, of the base 8 mistings, the thug is the best in my opinion. A thug can learn techniques or carry instruments that would allow him to have similar abilites as the other mistings. The others can pump iron, do a bunch of plyometric training, etc. but they can't learn to take a sword in the gut and still move when all conventional wisdom says they should already be dead.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 07:39:52 PM by VegasDev »
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

Survivors Apostale

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2008, 07:47:50 PM »
The crowd has spoken and thug seems to be the over all favorite, but it just seems a little one dimensional. You take hits and keep on going. At least with a soother it would take some pretty advanced body language learning. I guess the thing that keeps me going back to the Lurcher and Coinshot is the ingenuty it would take to make them worhwhile.

Take a lurcher for example. Standing between two buildings, both two story, with windows and metal latches. Pulls on the top most window really hard so he shoots up, tugs on the opposite buildings top window causing him to arc away from the origanol building, but still pulling on the origanol latch so his momentum would carry him to the roof. After some practice, both the lurcher and a coinshot would easly be able to fly through the night like a mistborn, and probably be a decent assassin/crowd control figure.

Pygmalion

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2008, 12:00:17 AM »

Yeah, exactly like that, a lower volume of alchohol is necessary to be drunk for smaller people, so - therefore maybe the metals of mistings of lesser size would last longer, because they needed to burn less of it to reap its benefit, than physically larger mistings?

I mean, I mainly raised this point when it occured to me that in situations involving Vin and another mistborn (or hey, a misting able to use atium...) where each were using a same sized portion of atium -- her supply might out last theirs.

Plus, by that logic she'd be cheaper to run in the long term.
Like... 'Economies of (small) Scale'
 ;D

Hey, I never thought about that... I bet you're right. Gosh some of you guys are so smart... I just sit there reading and grinning while obviously you guys are thinking too.  ;D
"Vision is the art of seeing the invisible" - Jonathan Swift

Azhev

• Level 5
  • Wanderer of my own little world
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2008, 03:43:46 AM »
Hey, I never thought about that... I bet you're right. Gosh some of you guys are so smart... I just sit there reading and grinning while obviously you guys are thinking too.  ;D

But I like just sitting there reading and grinning while the others do the thinking.  Thinking makes my brain hurt.  ;)
"The ending of a book is, in my experience, both the best and the worst part to read.  For the ending will often decide whethet you love or hate the book."

-Alcatraz Smedry, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians, p262

charity

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2008, 05:49:20 AM »
If I couldn't burn atium or being a full blown mistborn I think I'd have to go with thug, although tineye sounds cool  too, but a thug has a better chance of defending themselves since they don't rely so heavily on metals as say coinshots do. And defense in that world seems pretty important to me, so I'd go with thug.

But I'd really just like to be a mistborn.

White

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2008, 08:01:37 AM »
If I couldn't burn atium or being a full blown mistborn I think I'd have to go with thug, although tineye sounds cool too, but a thug has a better chance of defending themselves since they don't rely so heavily on metals as say coinshots do. And defense in that world seems pretty important to me, so I'd go with thug.

But I'd really just like to be a mistborn.

Are you sure about that? I mean, surrrrre there's the powers, but there seems to be a kind of limited lifespan that pops up when you actually start using them...

Although the fashion's quite snazzy.