Author Topic: Bookplates Question  (Read 4012 times)

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Bookplates Question
« on: February 12, 2008, 08:32:03 PM »
A thread for discussions of the issue I brought up in today's blog post:

http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog/607/Elantris-Hardcovers-coming--Question
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

laddr

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Bookplates Question
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 11:13:12 PM »
I think any of your suggestions are reasonable.

My personal preference is:
$3 for up to four bookplates, signed but NOT personalized, shipping included.

skibocastle

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 11:19:11 PM »
I think $6 for up to four bookplates, signed and personalized, shipping included is a very reasonable choice.  It gives you a little compensation, while people still get a signed copy of the book without having to buy another one.  I just think it's great that you offer this at all.

Pygmalion

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 11:20:54 PM »
I agree that they all seem reasonable. I like the $3 personalized idea best though.

p.s.

Thanks for even doing this! It's great for those of use who would like a signed copy but can't afford to buy the book all over again.
"Vision is the art of seeing the invisible" - Jonathan Swift

StrykerJ

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 11:24:16 PM »
What you've posted for bookplates sounds reasonable.  I'd probably go for the $6 personalized to get plates for my copies of MB1 and 2.

What would be really cool would be an option to get 3 book plates (one for each MB) included with an Elantris order during the sale.   Maybe throw in 3 without personalization for free and charge $3 extra if you want personalized bookplates.  That way you could add some extra value to the Elantris sale instead of cutting the price down like you did with MB1

Aludra

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 11:46:42 PM »
I have no clue what other people charge for this but this all sounds cheap - but maybe that is just because I am from Germany and the exchange rate is so good for us right now.

Definitely consider having an international option so you don't loose money on us foreigners.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 11:58:06 PM »
Aludra, a bookplate is a fancy sticker that an author signs so you can affix it to the inside of your book. These can be really fancy, having the book title in the display font and a crest or art of some kind. Or they can just be more basic. Here's one for a Tolkein book where the artist, Alan Lee, actually signed a bookplate:

« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 12:00:06 AM by Shrain »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

The Incredible Thorbear

• Level 2
  • I'm like the hammer of Thor, but actually a bear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 12:00:12 AM »
I would say the 6$ option is the best one.
Look on my Works ye Mighty, and despair!

CrystalKitten

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 05:58:03 AM »
I like the persoanlized ideas the best, though I think you should always have an option for a single bookplate.  I don't have much need for multiple ones, especially in numbers as great as 4, as I've already got Mistborn signed, and am going to be hoping to get your Elantris book through the website for my birthday (perfect timing I must say, as my Birthday is in mid-march, soon as it's up the link will be going out to all my family).  I don't really go for non-personalized stuff.  I probably won't ever resell, and that's the only reason I can see for a general signing.  I think it's much cooler to have something personally signed.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 10:03:59 AM »
What would be really cool would be an option to get 3 book plates (one for each MB) included with an Elantris order during the sale.   Maybe throw in 3 without personalization for free and charge $3 extra if you want personalized bookplates.  That way you could add some extra value to the Elantris sale instead of cutting the price down like you did with MB1

What a clever idea.  I was wondering how to make a nice 'bonus' for the ELANTRIS sale.  I paid enough for the books that knocking $5 off the price would really hurt.  An offer for up to three bookplates for your Mistborn books would be a great way to work the sale.  Thanks for the idea.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

laddr

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 02:42:16 PM »
I would be in for that :)

Azhev

• Level 5
  • Wanderer of my own little world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 09:21:15 PM »
I would like FREE, personally, but somehow I think that's just a dream.  ;)

Actually, all suggestions sound good.  I have my birthday coming up.  I may have to point my wife in this general direction.
"The ending of a book is, in my experience, both the best and the worst part to read.  For the ending will often decide whethet you love or hate the book."

-Alcatraz Smedry, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians, p262

Craysh

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2008, 11:36:06 PM »
I love this idea. I was planning on getting my books BS books recovered in leather and this would go really well with it. (I recover all my favorite books in leather, it's just nicer that way  ;))