Author Topic: Children's Books Recommendations  (Read 25445 times)

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
Children's Books Recommendations
« on: February 12, 2008, 05:24:21 PM »
As a mom of young chidlren I'm always looking for new books, so please post your own recommendations; but at the same time I thought I'd post a few that my children LOVE.

Traction Man by Mini Grey: A little boy gets an action figure for Christmas and they have some amazing adventures, fun to read to kids as some of its humor is directed to adults.

Anything in the Nova the Robot series. Very colorful and has a variety of age levels.

Anything Skippyjon Jones by Judy Schachner. These are hilarious and lyrical.

"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Azhev

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Wanderer of my own little world
    • View Profile
Re: Children's Books Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 08:22:39 PM »
How old of children are we looking at here?
"The ending of a book is, in my experience, both the best and the worst part to read.  For the ending will often decide whethet you love or hate the book."

-Alcatraz Smedry, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians, p262

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 03:38:24 AM »
I recommend Bad Kitty by Nick Bruell. It's about a kitty who doesn't get the food it likes, so kitty does many bad things in retaliation, then makes up for it when it does get its favorite foods. Funny and it's for early readers.

Other early reader recommendations:
Fuzz Frenzy is okay.

What Color Is Your Underwear is fun, though some parents may deem it inappropriate.

Caps for Sale is just classic.

I Need a Hug is a great book that was written by elementary school children. It makes great use of onset-and-rime. Sadly, you may have to pay a lot just to get a badly used copy.

Mouse Mess is a lot of fun and I like the illustration style.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 04:40:15 PM »
How old of children are we looking at here?

Infant through about 7
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

charity

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 06:46:50 PM »
My daughter loves the Mercy Watson books by Kate DiCamillo. I think they are silly but she loves them.

We also like the Olivia books alot, favorite being 'The Missing Toy'

And of course, 'Where the Wild Things Are'

I'll think of more later.

Azhev

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 09:17:33 PM »
Green Egss and Ham was a classic for my family, not to mention Monster at the End of This Book

I'd have to say that this is one reading group I'm really not that familiar with.  Guess I'm learning something too.  :)
"The ending of a book is, in my experience, both the best and the worst part to read.  For the ending will often decide whethet you love or hate the book."

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 05:13:55 AM »
There's always A Practical Guide to Monsters and A Practical Guide to Dragons. And I have no self-interest whatsoever in recommending them at all.  ;) But really, they're a lot of fun.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

White

• Level 5
  • (is largely not of this world)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 08:10:16 AM »
The Sign of the Seahorse by Graeme Base

- beautifully illustrated and all in verse~!

(with seahorses and a 'sign of the seahorse' to find on every page as well as a pair of shrimp.... very enjoyable for adults as well)
Clyde Bruckman: You know, there are worse ways to go, but I can't think of a more undignified way than auto-erotic asphyxiation.
Mulder: Why are you telling *me* that?
Clyde Bruckman: Look, forget I mentioned it. It's none of my business.

Brenna

• Level 14
  • Hey! Where'd the world go?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 04:29:30 PM »
For infants and toddlers, anything by Sandra Boynton.  I really like her music, too.

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 10:51:42 PM »
I also liked, 'John, Paul, George and Ben' by Lane Smith

I thought that was a funny book.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2008, 02:27:17 AM »
Oh, ANYTHING by Lane Smith and/or John Scieczka is hilarious. Must-reads: The Happy Hockey Family, The Happy Hockey Family Goes to the Country, The Stinky Cheese Man, The Absolutely True Story of the Three Little Pigs by A. Wolfe, and a whoooole bunch of others. John Scieczka is touring right now for a truck book he just released with several other authors, aimed at boys obviously. I haven't seen the book but I'm sure it's great. He's the Ambassador of Children's Literature right now.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

readerMom

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2008, 07:07:33 PM »
My daughter just came home with a hilarious children's book called Bad Kitty.  I know it is good when I enjoy reading it as much as the kids do.  There is also an old Golden Book called the Monster at the End of This Book that we really enjoy.

Azhev

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 05:39:41 AM »
There is also an old Golden Book called the Monster at the End of This Book that we really enjoy.

Ah...good old Grover.  Can't beat that at all.  Much better than the disappointing sequel There's Another Monster and the End of This Book.  That darn Elmo.  >:(

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 11:42:34 PM »
Everything on a Waffle by Polly Horvath is amazing, it's a kids book, I'd say grade four and up, but I read it in grade nine, and I still love it, it's amazing, i'd even give it a read through yourself while you're at it.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

flex

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2008, 10:43:15 PM »
My twin Boy's love Scruffy the Tug Boat, Hop on Pop and of course anything remotely involving Thomas or even just Trains in General. I must say though that for the fathers out there, be careful with Hop on Pop as my boy's are 1.5 years old and started attempting to "Hop on Pop" at any and every given opportunity. Some very unpleasant moments have happened immediately following a reading of Hop on Pop.... Reader-Beware!
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.