Author Topic: Random career question......  (Read 5308 times)

kaiyatomiko

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Random career question......
« on: February 12, 2008, 01:03:06 AM »
As I was just surfing around the site I found this section and felt the sudden urge to post this thread. Don't ask me why as I won't be able to reply.... ^_^

1. What did you want to be when you were little?
2. What do you want to be? (Doesn't have to be what you're doing right now)
3. What are you doing?
4. What are you going to be? (For those studying for a certain career or changing imminently)

1. I always wanted to be a doctor, I even took work experience in a hospital when I was 15. I had a great time but found my interests just seemed to learn in a slightly different direction.
2. I would love to study geography, in particular physical georgraphy or geology. I'd LOVE to be a vulcanologist or something similar. Though it's just impossible for me at the moment.
3. I'm studying art, architectural (sp?) drawing and a load of other things at a technical art college in Switzerland.
4. I might become a painter or an architect, it's all open for me at the moment. Haven't decided.

Please reply - even if it's just a couple of lines!!

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Re: Random career question......
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 04:03:06 AM »
I'll bite.

1. When I was a kid I wanted to be writer or a movie director.
2. I just want to be something good.
3. I spent some time as a graphic designer, hotel worker, community volunteer (full-time), and currently I'm a social worker. More specifically I determine how much government assistance to give people and I do a little career counseling.
4. It looks like I'm going to a public bureaucrat, but I'm willing to roll with whatever happens.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 06:26:42 PM »
1. I wanted to be a princess
2. I still want to be a princess, but I'd rather be a good mom.  Oh, and a published writer.
3. I'm an okay mom and a non-published writer.  And I'm tired.  All the time.
4. I am going to be . . . older tomorrow than I am today.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

White

• Level 5
  • (is largely not of this world)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 06:52:31 PM »

A Palaeontologist or Archaeologist.

A Graphic Novelist among some other diversions (including freelance designer/illustrator and a concept artist etc, and hopefully volunteer in some way to look after the fuzzy and fluffy creatures of the world ... and promote love for sharks and river dolphins too...)

3. What are you doing?

Studying Design and Illustration at uni, still looking for a bit more direction in my life though... I still feel like this degree is not absolutely pinning down everything I might want to wind up doing...

4. What are you going to be? (For those studying for a certain career or changing imminently)

Uh, guess I’ll be someone’s little illustrator bia-*** for a while to get more experience before doing my own thing, though I also really think I might want to do a second bachelors degree in some area of Literature – it’s something I’d like to be better learned in and hey, 2/3 of my closest friends are working on degrees including that as well A.T.M.) and there’s no reason why I shouldn’t be well practiced in both of the contributors for being a graphic novelist – already studying as illustrator may as well study writing and making stories too after this.
Clyde Bruckman: You know, there are worse ways to go, but I can't think of a more undignified way than auto-erotic asphyxiation.
Mulder: Why are you telling *me* that?
Clyde Bruckman: Look, forget I mentioned it. It's none of my business.

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 02:17:52 AM »
1) When I was a kid, I wanted to be an author
2) To this day, I still want to be an author
3) I am studying psychology.
4) I am going to be a psych(ologist/iatrist, trying to decide on that still).
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 02:44:39 AM »
1) When I was a kid I wanted to be some sort of scientist.
2) Now I just want to be a good husband, good father, and be more financially secure.
3) Right now I'm a confused husband, tired father and trying to become financially secure by being an tax attorney who spends his days dreaming about what to do with somebody else's huge piles of cash (yes, that is my job).
4) Well, my wife still seems to like me and despite their protest, my kids are still my kids, so there is some hope there.  As far as being financially secure, being attorney may or may not acheive that but my wife says I can't go back to school to become a scientist so being an attorney better bring some security. But if not, something else will.
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

Jhaeli

• Level 3
  • Oh the weather outside is frightful...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 05:17:24 PM »

I wanted to be a marine biologist - specifically, I wanted to study orcas. I love 'em. And yes, this was before I saw 'Free Willy' as a child. That only made it 'worse'. :P I wanted to do this all the way up to Grade 12 and had even looked into what University I would go to. I later decided to do something different.

Ideally, I'd like to get into journalism, voice/host for documentaries, or anything really relating to media and marine science. Or just science in general. I think that would be fantastic.

3. What are you doing?

I'm the morning news anchor/reporter at a small market radio station. :) Which is actually a lot of fun, I love my job.

Well, I am settled into the start of my career in news media - but to be honest, I'd like to extend myself to possibly writing for magazines or newspapers, etc. which is a different kind of writing than I do now. (They call it "Writing for the Eye" versus "Writing for the Ear".) Being Canadian, I'd like to upgrade my French into more than just a smattering leftover from high school.
"My task which I am trying to achieve is, by the power of the written word to make you hear, to make you feel - it is, before all, to make you see." - Joseph Conrad

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 06:01:08 PM »
I never really bit down on a "something I wanted to do" when I was a kid.

Today I want to be a musician.

I am a student studying psychology.

I'm going to be homeless.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 07:36:03 PM »

I wanted to be an archeologist. (Even before I first saw Indiana Jones, that just cemented the desire) :D

I still think archeology is cool, but I would like to be an architect and revamp all the tired old building designs (especially houses, ick big ugly wooden boxes)

3. What are you doing?

I'm an intern at the USDA and I'm getting a degree in GIS.

4. What are you going to be?

I'm most likely going to be a Cartographer/ Geographer.
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

Pygmalion

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 09:27:26 PM »

A Graphic Novelist among some other diversions (including freelance designer/illustrator and a concept artist etc, and hopefully volunteer in some way to look after the fuzzy and fluffy creatures of the world ... and promote love for sharks and river dolphins too...)

"It's not a comic book, it's a graphic novel..." Heh... I took a graphic novel course at school last semester. It was really cool. Hope you get to do that someday.

I've also noticed that we have a lot of people here who wanted to be paleontologists or archaeologists... strange...

1. When I was little, I was torn between being an accountant or a librarian.

2. At the moment, I want to be paid for reading books the rest of my life.

3. I'm getting a double major in history and English in college. Lots of options with that one.

4. Might actually end of being a librarian. But I'm going to go to grad school ad get my PhD in history. I'm thinking about living in a dusty archive for the rest of my life.
"Vision is the art of seeing the invisible" - Jonathan Swift

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2008, 12:03:43 AM »
1. What I wanted to be when I was little was to be an FBI agent.

2. Struggling with what I want to be but leaning toward something in Geology, Biology, or Chemistry.

3. Right now I am a store manager for a wholesale plumbing supply company and going to school to get my Bachelors in Biology.

4. Hopefully someday I will be a field biologist maybe a zoologist or hey maybe even work in lab somewhre. Although, I may just keep climbing the corporate ladder with my current employer.
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

White

• Level 5
  • (is largely not of this world)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2008, 03:56:46 PM »

"It's not a comic book, it's a graphic novel..." Heh... I took a graphic novel course at school last semester. It was really cool. Hope you get to do that someday.

I've also noticed that we have a lot of people here who wanted to be paleontologists or archaeologists... strange...

1. When I was little, I was torn between being an accountant or a librarian.

2. At the moment, I want to be paid for reading books the rest of my life.

3. I'm getting a double major in history and English in college. Lots of options with that one.

4. Might actually end of being a librarian. But I'm going to go to grad school ad get my PhD in history. I'm thinking about living in a dusty archive for the rest of my life.

Wow, thanks!
I would sooooo love to do a course in Graphic Novels... and yes I have to specify the difference between them and comics...
Namely *Comics Never End*... they go on.... fooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeevvvvvvvvveeeeer.

Like X-men, Batman, Captain America... the PHANTOM... whcih i think is like, the longest running comic ever.

so yeah, all other difference aside... I view GN's as having a begining a middle and an end... and I'd like the joy to be able to work on more than one series. ^_^

and if we all wanted to be paleontologists or archaeologists it's probably because we wanted to excavate dinosaurs, dragons and uncover unicorns!
Clyde Bruckman: You know, there are worse ways to go, but I can't think of a more undignified way than auto-erotic asphyxiation.
Mulder: Why are you telling *me* that?
Clyde Bruckman: Look, forget I mentioned it. It's none of my business.

Felastizairu

• Level 3
  • Defies gravity, and therefore physics.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2008, 07:06:11 AM »

A pet shop owner.  This probably stemmed from the fact that my parents didn't allow pets. 

2. What do you want to be?

A radiologist.  (That's a fancy word for the doctor that examines x-rays.)

3. What are you doing?

Studying biochemistry and working part time as an Information Goddess.

4. What are you going to be?

Even if I never end up going to medical school and becoming a doctor, I hope to someday be a full time mom.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
~Thomas

readerMom

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 11:10:51 PM »
1. a physicist.  Seriously, I couldn't pronounce it, but I knew that's what I wanted to study.  Then I got back from a two year break and my physics major turned to a minor when the math was too hard to catch up to.

2. I was headed toward being a librarian when derailed by kids, but that still sounds loverly: quiet, books, less barf and other unspeakables to clean up.

3. I am a book-addicted mom longing for a nap.

4. I have grand hopes for being better at a large number of things that I now do just well enough to get by.  Then I will have found a whole hosts of new things to be incompetent at. Eternal Progression I suppose.

MPlease

• Level 4
  • You mean my character concept can't be 'pink hair?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2008, 03:59:26 AM »
1.  I wanted to be a policeman or firefighter. Or pick your public service career of the week.
2. Now I just want to be a seamstress and housewife, maybe in a year or so a stay at home mom. When I have kids I want to be able to be there at home for the all the time the way my mom had been for me.
3. I'm currently doing pretty much exactly what I want to be doing, except with the addition of workin at the local game store. I was coerced into it. My husband wanted the employee discount and I need the extra change for fabric expenditures.
4. Well I hope to keep doing what I'm doing.  ;D
English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys, knocks them over and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.