Author Topic: Theory on why Vin is so powerful *spoilers*  (Read 14605 times)

Plasman

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Theory on why Vin is so powerful *spoilers*
« on: February 04, 2008, 05:49:55 AM »
Ok, first off this is my first post so hello everyone, and Mr. Sanderson/Brandon/EUOL/whatever us fans are supposed to call you, you are an awesome writer (my new favorite. please hurry up and publish more books :)
Based on what i have read online and the books, i've come up with this theory: Vin's unusual amount of power stems from the third magic system, hemalurgy, and her ear ring.  We know from what EUOL has said that Inquisitors are created through the usage of hemalurgy, involving the deaths of several people.  We also know that the Well Spirit has the ability to control people with spikes in their bodies, like Marsh and Zane, and create voices in their minds. Is any of this remind anyone of Vin's mother? She is described as mad and hearing voices, then she goes and kills Vin's sister and impales Vin's ear with the ear ring.  My guess is that this too is an example of hemalurgy and is a main reason behind Vin's power.

Thoughts anyone?
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Bryant

• Level 2
    • View Profile
Re: Theory on why Vin is so powerful *spoilers*
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 07:53:19 AM »
I hadn't thought of this, though it does make sense, in a kind of roundabout way. I'm not really sure that this is the truth, but it's certainly an interesting idea.

It does seem a bit odd that her mother heard voices, just like Zane did, and killed Vin's sister, and then turned around and gave her a gift.

I guess now I'm taking a page out of Sazed's book, and beginning to see proof of something because I'm looking for it.... But that's certainly an interesting coincidence, even if it turns out to be completely unrelated.

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 04:53:33 PM »
I am not certain, since I am not EUOL, but I don't think that the similarities are a mere coincidence. I do know that EUOL has mentioned that we will learn more about Zane in the third book, so maybe that specific question will be one that is answered at the time.

charity

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 06:26:14 PM »
I've always had the impression that Vin's mom had more to do with this than just showing Vin's upbringing. I had thought that was rather obvious. And I had figured her insistence on piercing Vin's ear might be significant as well all though I hadn't thought of it in that precise context before, I guess I had just figured I'd wait to worry about that one till the end.

I get tired of worrying about minor details that I don't know are going to be rectified, I've read to much Jordan to do that anymore.

Daarian

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 07:29:32 PM »
I get tired of worrying about minor details that I don't know are going to be rectified, I've read to much Jordan to do that anymore.

Aint that the truth.  ;D

Though I do see plausibility in this theory the more I think about it, of course I have also learned after reading Jordan so much that sometimes things are made obvious for the shear value of misleading. In my opinion all writers are Aes Sedai. Its all in that dodgy wording they use. Hmmm.. I should re-read stuff and look for those little nuances but honestly I am just to lazy.
""Don't talk to me about nobleman," Vin said. "And don't say things about people you don't know.  You're no skaa-- you're just nobleman without titles." - Quote from Mistborn

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 08:50:00 PM »
she's powerful cause she's really a Jedi.  Brandon told me she was Luke's OTHER sister.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 10:14:28 PM »
Hmmm.. I should re-read stuff and look for those little nuances but honestly I am just to lazy.

And it just hurts the brain after a while. I honestly don't know how people spend so much time musing over things. Granted I do my fair share but I'm nothing like some of the hard core fanatics of HP and TWOT. I muse about it, come to a conclusion and move on. If I get into a discussion about it I'm more than happy to talk but I really have more books to focus on... er, oh yeah, and a family to manage, I forgot about them  ;)

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 04:43:44 PM »
You put together an interesting theory Plasman. One that I did not see for myself, to be honest. However, I believe that while hemalurgy may have something to do with it, there is more to it that that. Specifically the fact that she is the "Hero of Ages". Well not in the way that we originally thought but she was chosen by the Well to free it. Meaning that she is special for some other reason because as you stated Inquistors and Zane hear the voice and have the spikes but they were not the ones the Well chose. This leads me to believe that she is the one prophesized to save everyone. Thus, she has the enormous amount of power that would be required to do so......

I kind of ended on a paradox there. Does Vin have the power because she is the prophesized one or is she the prophesized one because she has the power to be the prophesized one??? Hmmm....interesting
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 06:33:23 PM »
If you'd said it just once, I would have let it slide, but four times really bugs me. The word is "prophesied," not "prophesized." Past tense of "prophesy."
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 07:39:16 PM »
Ookla,

I had a feeling that was wrong the whole time I was writing that. I even went so far as to write it into Microsoft Word and then ran spell check. Stupid program told me that there was nothing that needed to be corrected. Oh well you can still get what I'm trying to say. Thanks for the info. So sorry to irritate you so...
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 08:48:54 PM »
If you'd said it just once, I would have let it slide, but four times really bugs me. The word is "prophesied," not "prophesized." Past tense of "prophesy."

lol... to funny. I often worry about saying the right words, feel free to correct me if I don't. ;)

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 09:08:41 PM »
heh. How about using "too" instead of "to" in that last post of yours. ;)
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 10:23:50 PM »
I even went so far as to write it into Microsoft Word and then ran spell check. Stupid program told me that there was nothing that needed to be corrected.
Curse Microsoft...

Um, back to your discussion on Vin.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 12:16:58 AM »
Interesting theory!
~금강산도 식후경~

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2008, 05:57:09 PM »
heh. How about using "too" instead of "to" in that last post of yours. ;)

oh, you got me! But really I have to admit that's just laziness. ;) I don't like taking the time to think of which one I ought to use.

But now I'm self conscious.... ;)