Author Topic: How has your views on WoT characters changed over the years?  (Read 12638 times)

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
Re: How has your views on WoT characters changed over the years?
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2009, 05:47:00 PM »
I think both times I have read through the series (at least as far as I got...I still haven't gotten through them all), I've really liked Mat.  The first time I read through was in high school, and I started it all-over again in my sophomore year in college, and I think I understood and accepted how the characters acted a lot easier the second time around.  (I despised so many of the characters in high school...I don't exactly remember why...)

Mat is still my favorite, though.  The way he acts is so realistic, and I think I just sympathize with him most.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet (or maybe they did and I missed it), but my favorite female character is Lanfear (though, I really like Min and Aviendha...and Moiraine...oof).  Lanfear has always been an interesting character for me due to her interactions with Rand, even though he really isn't Lews Therin.
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2009, 07:37:01 PM »
[Sorry, Kaz–it was a couple posts up so I didn't notice it. My B.]

I find it hard to hate him 'cause he makes everything so dark and creepy…he's almost like the human embodiment of evil/cruelty/ya know.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2009, 08:56:09 PM »
That's exactly why he is so much fun to hate
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2009, 09:01:00 PM »
But would you rather he not be in the story?? 'Cause I definitely wouldn't.…
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2009, 09:03:49 PM »
No i want him in the story he's a great read but you can't actually like him i mean that's like having Narg as your favorite character...ohh wait he is...i LOVE NARG ...him and Bella could totally take Rand
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2009, 09:04:43 PM »
And Hoid. Never forget Hoid.  :P

But he's like the arch-minion of the DO…which would actually be kinda cool. Minus the torture sessions and stuff. You know.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2009, 09:30:11 PM »
Explain how Hoid is relevant to WoT

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2009, 09:32:10 PM »
Um…he's not. I was making a joke. Sorry for demonstrating a sense of humor on the forum.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Liathiana

• Level 3
  • For Pony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2009, 11:59:45 PM »
When I first started reading the WoT, one of my favorite characters was Perrin. That is until he became so stupid over the wolf-brother thing (c'mon already!) and became whipped by Faile. At first during my reread I couldn't understand why I didn't like her before until I got to the part she really infuriated me during the travel back to Two Rivers. I wanted to smack her! Lots! >:(

Egwene was a bit annoying in the beginning but once she became Amrylin I really began to love and respect her, she's now my favorite character.

I'm surprising myself by liking Nynaeve during this reread, I suppose I relate more to her now than I did before. And of course I love her relationship with Lan!

Hmm...I'll have to think about this more!
"Behold! I have discovered the FORK OF TRUTH! Who would dare oppose me now?! Now that I am armed with my anger...and my fork!" Richard (LFG)

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2009, 05:34:39 PM »
Nyneave you got to be kidding me her and Faile are the most hated characters on this forum.... (not necessarily by me though i do dislike Faile)

necronos

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2009, 10:20:20 PM »
I've once again started to reread the entire series again, but this time I started with New Spring instead of Eye of the World. I'm only half way through The Great Hunt but these are my thoughts so far:

I'm really loving the nuances that I see in the minor characters, Bayle Domon comes to mind. The appear to me as fleshed out characters that I'm only glimpsing rather than paper cut outs with nothing more. The first few times I read the series I felt annoyed having to read through minor characters POVs. I was always in a hurry to get back to the main characters. Now so much anymore. I'm enjoying spending more time with other characters instead.

My frustration with Rand has started earlier than usual, it usually hits in a round The Fires of Heaven, this time it started at the beginning of TGH. Why can't he just tell his friends he is scared and doesn't want to hurt them rather than trying to push them away?

Mat is also annoying me, which is odd since he is one of my series favorites. I don't know why yet, so I'll keep reading!

jeremy208: #FakeKings Wow, the world's first fantasy novel written in 3-D!. The words literally jump off the page. The fight scenes gave me bruises. Ow!

Liathiana

• Level 3
  • For Pony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2009, 02:45:47 AM »
Rand pretty much always annoyed me.

Kaz: I even like Elayne! :o
"Behold! I have discovered the FORK OF TRUTH! Who would dare oppose me now?! Now that I am armed with my anger...and my fork!" Richard (LFG)

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2009, 04:45:24 AM »
I hate Faile and Mogheiden.... i both enjoy and dislike Fain(just cuz he's a nasty bugger).... and depending on the day Elayne annoys me

Natalie Perkins

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • NataliePerkins.cjb.net
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2010, 02:36:15 AM »
Looking back I'd like to apologize for my horrible excuse for grammar in my previous post. I believe I was rushed but that is no excuse, I should be ashamed  :'(
‘Never trust a teenage boy in a room of teenage girls to be on time.’ (Wievorann Ch.6)

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2010, 01:13:14 PM »
i was in high school when I started reading the WoT and now I am 35. I now most identify with Moiraine and I am a guy. I think it is an age thing. Moiraine is by far the best written of all the women characters.

I also don't like Egwene as Amyrlin. I don't buy her ability to get stuff done. She is 20 years old. Kids don't have the life experience for a role like that. Especially when the people she governs are often 100+ years old. It is too contrived.