Poll

Who do you think would win in a straight up sword fight?

Rand Al' Thor (WoT)
Denth (Warbreaker)
Aragorn (LOTR)
Drizzt (D&D)
Other

Author Topic: Sword Fighting Prowess  (Read 14587 times)

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Sword Fighting Prowess
« on: January 24, 2008, 06:11:17 PM »
I think I'm going to have to go with Rand on this one. For one he's taveren, things will happen just right for him to win, maybe. Two, he is a Blademaster by trial-by-fire, for beheading the High Lord. Above all else he is absoulutely fearless. Oh and by the way he is the freakin Dragon Reborn!.....

Now that I look at the choices I think Drizzt is automatically disqualified unless he uses different swords. This is supposed to be a straight up sword fight and his blades are magical....
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

Aen Elderberry

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Sword Fighting Prowess
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 12:26:53 AM »
I selected Other -  Westley from The Princess Bride.   Not sure why . . . he's the one that came first to mind.
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore

"It is important to fight, and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated." - Albus Dumbledore

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 05:29:44 PM »
Madmartigan. He is, after all, the "greatest swordsman that ever lived."

Archon

• Level 27
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 12:01:22 AM »
All of the candidates seem to have magical blades, so if you disqualify Drizzt, you have to pick a whole new lineup.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 06:55:09 AM »
Actually, nothing anywhere states that Andúril is magical.  It is certainly a family heirloom, but that's hardly the same thing.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 01:10:13 AM »
Rand can whip anyone magical blade, normal blade, or wooden stick. And has used all three.
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

Archon

• Level 27
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 03:03:24 AM »
I always Anduril to be magical. It's not explicitly stated, but then again, Tolkien's version of magic is always somewhat mysterious and vague. For instance, in the Hobbit, it is said that Gandalf always seemed to just appear places, but it wasn't clarified whether it was through magic, or just craft. I remember something about Anduril and Aiglos together being an unbeatable combination of weapons. Again, it's up for interpretation, maybe Tolkien just meant that Gil-Galad and Elendil were that skilled at wielding them, but I always took Anduril to be more than just an heirloom.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Aen Elderberry

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 05:17:17 PM »
Actually, nothing anywhere states that Andúril is magical.  It is certainly a family heirloom, but that's hardly the same thing.

For the non-magical category I'd want to add a few others to the poll:

John Carter
Fafhrd
The Grey Mouser
Conan

And I suppose we should give the women a chance as well -

Red Sonja

If magical blades are allowed then I'm going with Elric of Melnibone.

But if magic sword is okay what about magic user with blades?  Can't we include Vin?  Could any of them compete with her?
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore

"It is important to fight, and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated." - Albus Dumbledore

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 07:03:50 PM »
I'm gonna have to say it is a purely a sword fight. No magical blades and no magic used by the fighter. In which case Vin wouldn't probably stand a chance against any of the other characters mentioned here. I still have to say when it comes down to pure skill with a sword Rand beats anyone. Furthermore even if anyone wanted to use magic against Rand I'm pretty sure they would lose there too. He can just level an the entire continent said person is on with balefire and call it a day.
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 01:02:26 AM »
I love Vin, really I do. She rocks. But I have to agree with Comfortable Madness, if we pull out all the stops and bring magic into it, it is even less  of a contest. I've never seen as much sheer earth-shattering power as Rand has. I wouldn't want to be on his bad side.
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008, 05:36:10 AM »
I always Anduril to be magical. It's not explicitly stated, but then again, Tolkien's version of magic is always somewhat mysterious and vague. For instance, in the Hobbit, it is said that Gandalf always seemed to just appear places, but it wasn't clarified whether it was through magic, or just craft. I remember something about Anduril and Aiglos together being an unbeatable combination of weapons. Again, it's up for interpretation, maybe Tolkien just meant that Gil-Galad and Elendil were that skilled at wielding them, but I always took Anduril to be more than just an heirloom.

My conclusion from reading the Silmarilion was that Anduril was magical.  The elves had great craft and would pour some of their being into the things that they made, which is the technique that Sauron tricked them into teaching him in order to forge the One Ring.  It was also the technique responsible for the creation of the Silmarils, which could not be duplicated by the Valar and were even powerful enough to become vitally important in the battle against Morgoth.  Therefore Anduril would be a magical blade.  At least it is if my memory is correct, I read the book back in fifth grade.
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2008, 06:41:29 PM »
If we're discounting magic and magic swords then I'm still going to give this fight to anyone wielding a lightsaber. Mace Windu would demolish anyone else on this list simply because his sword (powered technologically, not magically) would disarm anyone else on the list in the very first clash.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2008, 09:08:00 PM »
A Lightsaber isn't technically a sword.  It's a beam of condensed plasma held together, probably by magnetism.  It's reminiscent of a sword, but it isn't a sword.  Just like a Killer Whale is reminiscent of a whale, but is really a type of dolphin.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2008, 11:13:13 PM »
Which adds even more irony considering they like to kill dolphins.
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2008, 11:44:05 PM »
Saying that a lightsaber isn't a sword is being far too restrictive with your definition of "sword." It's made out of light instead of metal; big deal. It looks like a sword, you use it like a sword, it's a sword.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net