Author Topic: The coolest sword ever...Nightblood  (Read 5175 times)

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
The coolest sword ever...Nightblood
« on: January 23, 2008, 10:41:52 PM »
I recently read on Mr. Sanderson's web site that the Warbreaker sequel may be titled Nightblood. The fact that it even has a chance to be titled that is IMO a very good thing. For starters, I thought Warbreaker was going to be a stand alone book and the fact that there is a sequel is very neat indeed. Also, since he was even tenatively thinking to title the book Nightblood leads me to believe that it...well...has a lot to do with Nightblood. Which is absolutely awesome seeing how it IS the coolest sword ever! I just loved every scene it was in. The conversations between it and Vasher were absolutely fantastic. Especially the way it spoke the users thoughts like they were it's own. Then finally towards the end of the book Vasher finally unsheathes Nightblood and mass-laying-waste-to-bad-guys ensues! Fantastic!

I just had to get that out there. I know Mr. Sanderson has a lot on his plate and the sequel won't be out till 2009 or later but I definately will be eager anticipating it's release!
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

Insomnius

• Level 2
    • View Profile
Re: The coolest sword ever...Nightblood
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 06:15:45 AM »
While I agree that Nightblood is an extremely cool sword, please permit me to respectfully disagree with your assessment of the coolest sword ever.

In my (not so) humble opinion that honor goes to the twin brother swords of the Elric of Melnibone series by Michael Moorcock.

from http://www.stormbringer.net/elric.html

The Rune blades:   Brought to earth centuries before and wielded by the Melnibone emperors, these blades where turned over to the Gods and placed in the pulsing cavern when they became too powerful to control. They are known by the names StormBringer and MournBlade. They have the ability to give the wielder unparalleled strength. They are also sentient and require feeding to appease them. This feeding is in the form of souls taken during battle. Many of Elric's enemies plead not to be killed by his fearsome blade, StormBringer, as their souls are sent straight to hell for eternity. Although Elric is able to overcome his genetic weaknesses, and for the first time in his life he no longer needs to ingest his sorceress potions to sustain his life, this strength is gained at the price of a symbiotic relationship with his blade. Many is the time he will regret unsheathing it, as StormBringer has a taste for friend and foe alike.

White

• Level 5
  • (is largely not of this world)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 01:42:53 PM »
Yes, Nightblood is the coolest sword ever, I love the fact that he expresses the same needs for fresh air and sunlight as a palm tree. Someone needs to get that butter-knife into some counselling. Plus he has mother issues. OooooOOoooooOOooo, I wonder what Frued would have said about him.

*rofl*

Maybe he has Palm-tree envy.
Clyde Bruckman: You know, there are worse ways to go, but I can't think of a more undignified way than auto-erotic asphyxiation.
Mulder: Why are you telling *me* that?
Clyde Bruckman: Look, forget I mentioned it. It's none of my business.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 03:53:31 PM »
Excalibur kicks all their butts.

White

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 07:07:32 PM »
With all due respect, Excalibur does *not* kick their butts. I mean, hey, he got dumped in a *rock* for however many years.

Though I guess maybe that maybe means he's a bad-ass who was doing hard time.
Clyde Bruckman: You know, there are worse ways to go, but I can't think of a more undignified way than auto-erotic asphyxiation.

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 09:01:15 PM »
Haven't read Warbreaker, so I can't compare the two, but Glamdring glows white and shoots lightning at its enemies. Anduril and Excalibur may cut through anything, but they can't shoot lightning.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

CUBAREY

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 01:16:30 PM »
Excaliber is the grandaddy of them all so it holds a special place. That being said the concept of a sword having a personality (and one of a serial killer to boot) is quite interesting. The sword becomes not only a tool but a chatacyer in the story itself.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 02:58:36 PM »
Excalibur's scabbard does, however, prevent the owner from receiving a mortal wound just by being worn.

Bryant

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 05:19:36 PM »
I dunno. Surtr of Norse mythology has a cool sword. He uses it to set the entire world on fire, minus Hodmimir's forest, and kills a god or two.

I think the sword that ends the world might be a bit cooler than the others.

White

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 05:34:00 PM »
Yes, but we must remember, with Nightblood you could just dump him everywhere and go grab a latte and crepes while he went on his happy little bloodletting adventures.

He's the Evil-slaying-sword for the physically lazy.  :D

Azhev

• Level 5
  • Wanderer of my own little world
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 02:08:29 AM »
Dyrnwyn is pretty darn cool too, if you ask me.   :)
"The ending of a book is, in my experience, both the best and the worst part to read.  For the ending will often decide whethet you love or hate the book."

-Alcatraz Smedry, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians, p262

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 02:33:43 AM »
Nightblood definitely has the coolest attitude of any sword I recall reading about.

In Last Fantasy there's a talking sword as well...but that's its only power.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Shuez

• Level 3
  • R. Schuyler Devin - Writer, Poet, Artist, Techgeek
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 10:52:07 PM »
What about Sting?  :D      ......(joke)

Actually, Thorn was interesting in the Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn books by Tad Williams (people also refer to these books as "the Dragonbone chair books" or the "Green Angel Tower books")
"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds."

- Albert Einstein

"You have only just begun to gauge the depth of your ignorance yet you use it as the foundation for a towering confidence." - from the novel Black Brillion by Matthew Hughes

Natalie Perkins

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • NataliePerkins.cjb.net
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2008, 05:15:23 AM »
Nightblood is good for those like me with no hand-eye coordination and a desire to get others to do the work for me. Just throw and run. My kind of sword
‘Never trust a teenage boy in a room of teenage girls to be on time.’ (Wievorann Ch.6)

White

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2008, 06:17:16 AM »
Nightblood is good for those like me with no hand-eye coordination and a desire to get others to do the work for me. Just throw and run. My kind of sword

Finally! someone sees things my way!   ;D