Author Topic: Elantris *singing* instructions  (Read 2981 times)

StrykerJ

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Elantris *singing* instructions
« on: February 19, 2008, 11:33:42 PM »
I just ordered a personalized copy of Elantris from Brandon's website.

When it came to the singing [sic] instructions, I was torn.  I've always been a Rush fan, but never having met Brandon personally, I'm not sure how well he'd be able to perform "A Farewell to Kings". 

I'd have asked him to sing "Happy Birthday", but my birthday is a long way off, and that song is probably tied up in more copyright restrictions than the Rush song.

Then I realized, Brandon has probably already composed a song that is even more appropriate for Elantris, so the instrctions they were looking for probably had more to do with tempo and phrasing.  So I requested "Andante".

At first I was confused, because I misread "singing instructions" as singeing instructions, and while I do like the permanence of burning a personalization into the book, I'm not sure how well it would hold up to something like that.  I'm sure glad I caught my misread in time.  I wouldn't want to look silly or anything.. :)

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
Re: Elantris *singing* instructions
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 04:29:30 AM »
Cute story.  Although, I would be surprised if you had requested the original if he had written it down.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Felastizairu

• Level 3
  • Defies gravity, and therefore physics.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 06:44:27 AM »
Haha, this topic totally threw me off when I read it.  You had me thinking that there was singing in Elantris and that there were official instructions on how to do said singing.  I was thoroughly confused.  :)

Ah, the glories of similar words in the English language.  It reminds me of that study done where you can mix up the middle letters of a word, and as long as the first and last letter of the word are the same, you can still read it.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
~Thomas

StrykerJ

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 11:09:56 PM »
Yea, I was probably trying too hard to be clever, and ended up just being confusing.

I just wanted to come up with a funny way to comment on the fact that the paypal ordering instructions had a box for *singing* instructions instead of signing instructions.

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 07:02:38 AM »
I thought you did well :)

White

• Level 5
  • (is largely not of this world)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 07:59:47 AM »
Maybe you could convince him to do it like in those birthday cards and whatnot - where you open them up and they sing at you? I guess one of those *could* be slipped into a book... I don't know, if anyone has one of those try sending it off for BranSand to do - it would be quite interesting to say the least.

;D
Clyde Bruckman: You know, there are worse ways to go, but I can't think of a more undignified way than auto-erotic asphyxiation.
Mulder: Why are you telling *me* that?
Clyde Bruckman: Look, forget I mentioned it. It's none of my business.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 10:09:24 AM »
Sigh.  Does it really say that?  That's the problem with letting a Sanderson (either me or my brother--my brother in this case) be in charge of spelling.  I'll have to fire off an email to Sprig; he's the one in charge of all of this.  ;)

Also, you don't want me doing a Geddy Lee impersonation.  Trust me. 
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

foodkid95

• Level 1
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 07:03:27 PM »
I just ordered a personalized copy of Elantris from Brandon's website.

When it came to the singing [sic] instructions, I was torn.  I've always been a Rush fan, but never having met Brandon personally, I'm not sure how well he'd be able to perform "A Farewell to Kings". 

I think that being the epic storyteller that he is, Brandon might do better with one of Rush's 70's scifi-fantasy-themed epics, perhaps something like 2112, The Necromancer, or Hemishperes.  Plus, those songs are entire album sides, so we'd get more bang for the buck!

C'mon, Brandon!  We wanna hear you wail like Geddy Lee!    ;D

Pemberley

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 03:28:28 AM »
No, you REALLY don't.  ;) It's a good thing EUOL and Sprig have readers who catch their spelling mistakes, or there would be many more confusions of this type.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 06:11:08 AM »
Wow, I just had déjà vu. Not exactly about the spelling typos, but the combo of Elantris and "singing" reminds me of the an unfortunate song I once wrote: The Enlantrian Blues. Heh. If it weren't for Sprigg being a smart aleck, this particular seed of insanity never would've formed in my brain. (Oh, and I was CinderEllie at the time...)

« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 06:27:17 AM by Shrain »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 07:57:08 AM »
Dude, Shrain, that was just beyond freaking awesome!!!  I died laughing as I read it.  *****
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"