Author Topic: what does kelsier look like?  (Read 10366 times)

charity

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
what does kelsier look like?
« on: January 23, 2008, 03:03:24 PM »
My husband and I were having an argument about this (the friendly type...promise there was no yelling  ;))
HE says that Kelsier  is tall and well muscled. A very tough looking character that the scars on his arms only intensified.

I said that I thought Kelsier was a tall, skinny guy, a little worse for the wear, since he's been to the Pits and it's done it's dirty work on him. Like someone whose spent time doing hard labor and never fully recovered from it.

My husband said I'm wierd, and wrong. (he says I'm weird alot, so I wasn't so offended)

What do you think? Or maybe EUOL can tell us so that I can go back to him with an accurate answer.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: what does kelsier look like?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 03:49:49 PM »
He looks like me.
In fact, the character was based on me. Because I started a religion and have hundreds of followers. Only they didn't wait for me to die first.

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 07:11:32 PM »
So does that mean your only barely hanging onto your sanity? that you have scars up your arms? And that really didn't answer my question...  ;) are you skinny and a little worse for the wear or are you well muscled and tough?

Either way, though, you'll still be a little unhinged.

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 08:55:56 PM »
I think THSGRHPMoME's packing a little extra in his badunka dunk so.....

Actually, others on this board have suggested he might look a little like Nathan Fillion. The suggestions are in the 'If Mistborn were made into a movie' thread.

When I was reading it however, I always imagined him looking more like a skinnier, blonder Aragorn.

Hope that helps.
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 10:03:34 PM »
I'll settle this once and for all.

Kelsier = Owen Wilson
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Ratlord12

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 10:34:13 PM »
Skinny Kelsier?

I can't exactly go back and quote, but I usually try to read a character's description thouroughly and think about it for a minute, so I base my mental pictures on specific phrases in the writing.

I remember thinking when I read Mistborn1, Kelsier must look like a burly Irish guy with reddish blonde hair and blotchy skin, but sort of tame in a handsome way that makes him look lean and tidy.

That said, sometimes when my mind dislikes the way the author portrays a character, my subconscious changes the image halfway through the story. That's why I still think Johnny Depp would make a fine Kelsier in the movie. 

Pygmalion

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 10:40:46 PM »
When I was reading it however, I always imagined him looking more like a skinnier, blonder Aragorn.

Woah, that's exactly along the same lines that I was thinking!
"Vision is the art of seeing the invisible" - Jonathan Swift

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 12:02:29 AM »
Woah, that's exactly along the same lines that I was thinking!

Maybe great minds do think alike.

Ok, I'm thinking of a word and it's definitely not kitty. Can you guess what it is?  ;D
moustaches on the other.

Pygmalion

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 03:19:59 AM »
Ummm... puppy?  ;D
"Vision is the art of seeing the invisible" - Jonathan Swift

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 07:20:57 AM »
Ummm... puppy?  ;D

Ahhh!!!   Get out of my head! Get out of my head!
moustaches on the other.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 02:09:47 PM »
So does that mean your only barely hanging onto your sanity? that you have scars up your arms? And that really didn't answer my question... ;) are you skinny and a little worse for the wear or are you well muscled and tough?

Either way, though, you'll still be a little unhinged.

wow, now I know I think of the character differently. I don't know that there was any evidence to support the idea that Kelsier was right on the edge of needed to be institutionalized. Perhaps a bit eccentric, but hardly on the fringes of sanity.

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 02:56:46 PM »
Come on! He's got this hatred for the nobility that goes beyond normal. He's cold about it. I'm not saying he's like Mr. voice of God in his head (what's his name, Zane? I'm forever forgetting the names of characters, after reading so many books, it's all kind of melded together) but he's definitely got some issues he needs to work on.

He's nearly unhinged like Sirius Black is nearly unhinged. Gone through horrible experiences they didn't deserve and now they can't get over it to the point that they are heartless and reckless. NOT normal behavior, IMO.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 03:03:43 PM »
I really don't think his hatred is that abnormal, actually. It sounds as if your suggesting at least 50% of the population of the world needs serious counseling. Which means that "stable" doesn't reflect a normative behavior.  If that's the case, aren't we just saying that "normal" means "Like me"? Which in the end sounds exactly what you're trying to argue against -- the persecution of a group because they are different from you.

So no, I still can't see your point in saying that he's psychotic or whatever psychiatric term you think is appropriate.

And Sirius Black is only nearly unhinged because Rowling says "he's unhinged." I don't believe we ever actually see any unhinged behavior. He rebels against authority, true, but is that insane? Hardly.

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 05:40:34 PM »
well, I do think that at least 50% of the worlds population probably does need counseling. And no, I did not say he was crazy I said he was nearly crazy... or at least that's what I meant.

And now we are talking about characters in books as if they are real people, this always gets me back to reality. You said
Sirius Black is only nearly unhinged because Rowling says "he's unhinged."

that's the clincher there. We can argue forever about whether or not kelsier was nutso, but since he's a product of EUOL's mind, then I suppose he's the only one who really can say.

And Sirius Black does react in some situations in a not so stable manner, like when he refers to Harry as James.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 06:17:46 PM »
Wow... go from discussing the way a character looks to if he's crazy.  And I think to an extent he is slightly crazy, but it's more of a Crazy Genius.  I mean, you have to be slightly off base from what most people thing (thus being slightly crazy) in order to come up with something no one else has ever done, give it the passion and the drive to make it seem possiable, and then go off and do it.  Crazy?  Yes, but also a genius.

As for the looks, didn't EUOL say that one of candylion's pics of Kelsier looked exactly like he was imagining?  If so, why not look at that... easy answer.  *peace*
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"