Author Topic: A question about Mare (Possible Mistborn Spoilers)  (Read 5724 times)

Natalie Perkins

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • NataliePerkins.cjb.net
A question about Mare (Possible Mistborn Spoilers)
« on: January 22, 2008, 01:39:17 AM »
How could Mare have been sent to the Pits of Hathsin?
She's an allomancer... wouldn't they just do the throat hangy thing?
I know she was sent after Kelsier, did she go through a process that made her unable to use her allomancy before she showed up?
‘Never trust a teenage boy in a room of teenage girls to be on time.’ (Wievorann Ch.6)

VegasDev

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: A question about Mare (Possible Mistborn Spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 02:11:43 AM »
I brought up this point in another thread and assumed that they had some failsafe procedures in place to handle mistings or even mistborns. These probably dealt with forcing them to consume and burn aluminum each day which would deplete any metals they could draw upon. This would curtail the threat of them destroying the pits by using allomancy near atium goedes.

There's only a couple explanations I could come up with as to why they would go to such lengths rather than just killing her.

First, they don't want people to know that allomancy can destroy the atium, so what better way to distract everyone than to put mistings to use in the mines, even though the atium is being carefully guarded from them.

Second, they had to torture Kelsier more for messing with the Lord Ruler. Just killing her wouldn't be enough, they would have to work her half to death and then beat her in front of him. It fits with their systematic abuse of the Skaa to keep them downtrodden.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 02:14:02 AM by VegasDev »
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 05:11:56 AM »
Also note that while Mare was an Allomancer, she wasn't what one would call a "dangerous" Allomancer.  She was a Tineye, which isn't one of the top tier martial powers.  She couldn't have used atium, and even if she HAD somehow found silver, she'd simply have been able to hear and see better.  Which would have made her better at finding the atium. 

The Allomancers to keep out of the Pits would have been Lurchers or Coinshots (who could have destroyed the crystals), and to a lesser extent Thugs (who could be difficult to control.)  Mistborn, of course, needed to be kept far, far away, lest they get their hands on atium.

There's more going on here, of course.  If I ever write the Kelsier short story that talks about him discovering the Eleventh Metal, I will get into why the Inquisitors weren't given Mare as they wanted.  The Lord Ruler specifically chose to send her to the Pits rather than handing her over to the Inquisitors.  (Note: She wouldn't have ended up on a hook.  Inquisitors had other...uses for skaa Mistings they captured.  See book three.) 

In fact, this already has too many spoilers.  Ask me more after Mistborn 3 is out.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Seraf

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 09:28:56 PM »
even if she HAD somehow found silver, she'd simply have been able to hear and see better.  Which would have made her better at finding the atium. 

(Note: She wouldn't have ended up on a hook.  Inquisitors had other...uses for skaa Mistings they captured.  See book three.) 

In fact, this already has too many spoilers.  Ask me more after Mistborn 3 is out.
First, as before, I am assuming that the change from silver to tin was not an easy one. Second, are you referring to the sacrifices in the Inquisitor creation process? {random guess}

charity

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 10:19:08 PM »
ooooh, spoilers. I'm intrigued, and if I'm picking up what EUOL is laying down  ;) then the theory I told my husband pans out. Yes, do tell more EUOL!  ;D

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 03:34:46 AM »
Blast.  That silver/tin thing is going to haunt me for years, isn't it?
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Azhev

• Level 5
  • Wanderer of my own little world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 05:06:39 AM »
Blast. That silver/tin thing is going to haunt me for years, isn't it?

Pretty much, but it will keep us all entertained as we keep pointing it out to you.  ;D
"The ending of a book is, in my experience, both the best and the worst part to read.  For the ending will often decide whethet you love or hate the book."

-Alcatraz Smedry, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians, p262

Natalie Perkins

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • NataliePerkins.cjb.net
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 10:32:35 PM »
That actually clears up a lot becaue I was under the impression that using any allomancy near the crystals shattered them. Not just iron and steel. Ok, I think I get it.
‘Never trust a teenage boy in a room of teenage girls to be on time.’ (Wievorann Ch.6)