Author Topic: Masterpiece Theater Jane Austen  (Read 8885 times)

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
Masterpiece Theater Jane Austen
« on: January 21, 2008, 07:30:46 PM »
Has anyone else seen these?  Does anyone else even care?  I really liked Northanger Abbey, but Persuasion was only okay.  Next week is Mansfield Park with Billie Piper (who was in Doctor Who).  I'm not sure how I feel about her in period drama.  I know she was in Ruby in the Smoke, but I never saw that because I despise Philip Pullman.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

charity

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Masterpiece Theater Jane Austen
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 08:02:42 PM »
I heard about these! My friend said about the same thing, Persuasion was nothing to the Ciarin Hinds one but Northanger Abbey was okay. I'm sad though, cause I have no TV channels. I will have to wait.

I'm personally a huge fan of the Persuasion with Ciarin Hinds, so I can't imagine that I would be a very objective critic.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 09:24:09 PM »
We got a kick out of Northanger Abbey, but Karen and her mom agreed that the new version of Persuasion wasn't as good as some other version.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Azhev

• Level 5
  • Wanderer of my own little world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 06:12:07 AM »
My wife and I only caught parts of Northanger Abby (she was hooked on watching Extreme Home Makeover).  From what we saw it was interesting, and she hopes that she can catch it again to find out what is going on with Miss Morland.
"The ending of a book is, in my experience, both the best and the worst part to read.  For the ending will often decide whethet you love or hate the book."

-Alcatraz Smedry, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians, p262

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 09:14:58 PM »
We enjoyed the Jane Austen movies (my wife and I) and thought Northanger Abbey was quite well done, though they could have made it a touch creepier and more mysterious.

We are definitely looking forward to Mansfield Park next week.
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 10:14:46 PM »
I haven't seen any of these masterpiece theatre one's but looking forward to an adaptation of Mansfield Park?! I wouldn't be, IMO by far the most boring of her works. I really had to push myself through that story and I in no means have a desire to watch a movie of it. But that's just me.

Pygmalion

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 05:52:31 AM »
I've been watching these religiously!

Persuasion is my favorite Jane Austen novel, and this adaptation was extremely disappointing. It was waaay too rushed. Very dew redeeming qualities.

Northanger Abbey was surprisingly good. I had no expectations after the disaster that was Persuasion, but I thought they picked good actors for the parts, especially Catherine. She was really good.

Mansfield Park, however... ehhh... I don't care for Billie Piper as Fanny at all. But then again I might be surprised.

Has anyone voted on the "Men of Austen" poll on the PBS website? I thought it was amusing. Mr. Darcy was firmly ensconced in the lead when I voted...

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/austen/menofausten.html
"Vision is the art of seeing the invisible" - Jonathan Swift

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 02:52:40 PM »
Well, Cpt. Wentworth is in 2nd. Which makes me happy.  ;D Persuasion is my favorite story with P&P coming in 2nd. But I've seen clips of this version of Persuasion on YouTube and he doesn't read the letter as well as Ciarin Hinds. I'm very opinionated for someone who hasn't seen them.

I also noticed that Wentworth is worth the equivalent of $15 Million toady  :o wow.
Are the men listed over there the ones from the movies they are playing now?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 02:54:16 PM by charity »

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 05:38:52 PM »
I haven't seen any of these masterpiece theatre one's but looking forward to an adaptation of Mansfield Park?! I wouldn't be, IMO by far the most boring of her works. I really had to push myself through that story and I in no means have a desire to watch a movie of it. But that's just me.

I thought the movie version a few years ago was actually pretty good but they changed Fanny's character from the book a ton.  I'm interested to see how they're going to deal with her in this version.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Pygmalion

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 10:28:50 PM »
^ I agree about that version of Mansfield Park. They really made Fanny much too... outspoken. She was supposed to be INCREDIBLY shy... but I guess shy people don't make good movie characters...

Well, Cpt. Wentworth is in 2nd. Which makes me happy.  ;D Persuasion is my favorite story with P&P coming in 2nd. But I've seen clips of this version of Persuasion on YouTube and he doesn't read the letter as well as Ciarin Hinds. I'm very opinionated for someone who hasn't seen them.

I also noticed that Wentworth is worth the equivalent of $15 Million toady  :o wow.
Are the men listed over there the ones from the movies they are playing now?

Yeah, all the actors on that site are the ones playing in the versions they are currently showing.

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 11:31:25 PM »
So these movies, at least some, aren't brand new. are any of them?

Pygmalion

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 03:28:36 AM »
I believe Persuasion, Northanger Abbey, Mansfield Park, and Sense and Sensibility are all new. (Although how they think they could improve on the Emma Thompson version of Sense and Sensibility is beyond me).

They're going to show the Colin Firth version of Pride and Prejudice, as well as an older version of Emma that was originally made in the 1990s for A&E, if I remember correctly.

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 02:49:48 PM »
I've seen that Emma. I didn't like it. But then again, Emma' character bugs me, more so in that movie. I'm a very opinionated person aren't I?

Pygmalion

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 08:30:30 PM »
Well, I sort of agree with about Emma. It's my least favorite Jane Austen novel, solely because I think that character of Emma is annoying. But Jane Austen knew that. I recall reading somewhere that she said Emma was a character that not many people besides herself would like...

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2008, 09:09:01 PM »
I'm way late to this party, but as an avid watcher of this particular series I'll chime in anyway:

I missed the first week, so I can't comment on Persuasion, but I will say this: no matter how good it was or wasn't, I'm sure it was more attractive. The other well-known version is full of some homely, homely people.

Northanger Abbey was fantastic. One of Austen's least-known works, presented very non-traditionally, with excellent results. They left out a lot, which is fine, but they left it out in weird ways that kind of irked me. Still, I think it's the best of the series.

Mansfield Park is the one I've never read, and after this I'm not likely to bother. It was a very pedestrian, unenthusiastic story that most of the actors seemed to be sleeping through. Blah. The subplot about putting on a play was interesting, but never went anywhere.

I didn't watch the Austen biography because those are always terrible.

I was very disappointed to learn that they were re-running the same old Colin Firth Pride and Prejudice that everyone loves but me. I figure if you like this version you already own it, and if you don't you should be able to watch something else. On the other hand, Pride and Prejudice is arguably the most-filmed novel in the history of the world, so I can understand their reticence to make another one. Still, I'd love to see a version written by the same guy who adapted Northanger Abbey.

Unless I've dropped a week somewhere, that's all they've shown so far. I'm pretty excited to see Emma, because I love comparing different versions of it, and I'm fairly interested in Sense and Sensibility as well. We'll see how things go.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net