Author Topic: Facebook  (Read 2594 times)

Natalie Perkins

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • NataliePerkins.cjb.net
Facebook
« on: January 18, 2008, 05:33:43 AM »
I'm in high school so facebook is like.... literally a new turf to the catty social hierarchy.
You can "poke" people you have crushes on, send invitations to parties, and "stalk" people you hate or just think are really pretty.
About the notes - yes, if you post a note, a notification will be in the "News Feed" section of all your facebook' "friends'" home page. It will move down the list as other events within your "friends" take place so the approximated maximum time it will be up there is a day, however if you are "friends" with someone who has few "friends" on facebook, the notification may be up there much longer. If you tag people in the note it may stay up even longer.
I don't really visit Brandon's facebook for updates I just go straight to the main website because I don't rely on my news feed cause it is constantly changing and I might miss it.
Anyway - yea, I figured I'd share my knowledge, because I am on that particular website for hours at a time and it was about time I... give something back, I guess.
Hope I helped. =]
‘Never trust a teenage boy in a room of teenage girls to be on time.’ (Wievorann Ch.6)

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
Re: Facebook
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 06:20:06 PM »
That's pretty amusing. I'm not sure if you saw Brandon's recent journal post, but it was about "not getting" social networking sites like Facebook. I think a lot of us older farts feel that way. I have a Facebook account too, but I always ignore all the weird addon things that people throw at me. I use it to check the status of people I know, and that's pretty much it.

I've heard people can spend hours on it, but I have  no idea what they're doing. So, what ARE you doing for hours on Facebook? (also, this thread might need to be moved to general)
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Natalie Perkins

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • NataliePerkins.cjb.net
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 06:43:19 PM »
Yes I did see the post and that is the reason I posted this.

I can't spend more than... an hour tops on the website in one sitting but this is basically what people are doing:
Stalking people.
Sounds weird right. People find other people's facebooks, read through their comments, look through their pictures etc. etc. Generally it's because you think they're "oh so popular" and you just HAVE to see what they're doing. Or if it's after a major "teenage holiday" like Halloween or New Years ,you see if they posted any pictures to see what they did. Or, if a girl likes a guy but he has a girlfriend or likes someone else, us teenage girls go to the girlfriends page and basically verbally bash the poor girl to eachother and say very mean and violent things.
Or if another girl finds a really pretty girl on facebook, we'll look at all they're pictures too.
FOR EXAMPLE:
There's this girl that goes to a neighboring high school named Campbell. Me and my best friends found her facebook and she was very very pretty. So we would stalk her and look at all her pictures. She  had really long blonde hair and really pretty blue eyes. We find out a month later that her hair is really hair extensions and dyed (she's naturally a brunette) and she wears colored contacts. We were very upset... but we still stalk her.
And if you like a guy you stalk him too, you check if any other girls leave him comments and check hiss status to see if he's with other girls...
I don't know, if you're not busy being creepy you can use applications such as "compare friends" or take quizzes and there's TV Show applications where you basically answer trivia questions about it.
Basically.... I would die without my facebook, I've grown so attached to mine it's not even funny.

and I am aware that I probably came off as a total ditz in the following paragraph but I could honestly care less because there's nothing truly intelligent about facebook.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 06:45:02 PM by notxaxlie »
‘Never trust a teenage boy in a room of teenage girls to be on time.’ (Wievorann Ch.6)

Jhaeli

• Level 3
  • Oh the weather outside is frightful...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 09:24:51 PM »
It's essentially a new avenue for all the social posturing that goes on in High School.

I have to admit, I use it myself, but networking is a part of my career in radio. I also use it to keep in touch with family back home in the big city, as I moved last June to a smaller city about four hours away. So it can be useful in that way!
"My task which I am trying to achieve is, by the power of the written word to make you hear, to make you feel - it is, before all, to make you see." - Joseph Conrad

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 12:12:26 AM »
Now that, notxaxlie, was both hilarious and enlightening.

And hey, the first step is acknowledging. I expect a teenage girl to act like a teenage girl. Being self-aware of it all gives you a much better chance of turning into a worthwhile human being.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Natalie Perkins

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • NataliePerkins.cjb.net
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 06:26:37 AM »
I do indeed hope that I will grow out of my opressive hole of shallow cheerleaders that I have dug myself into but, for the time being, doing so would just give me headaches to be in the social situations I find myself in; because I would not be able to ignore the rotting of my brain that I currently encounter daily.
So I guess I'll just have to endure the idiocy until college where then, yes, I hope to become a worthwhile human being and, hopefully, blend in with the populace.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 11:43:08 AM »
lol.  That's interesting, notxaxlie

Tell me.  Someone on one of the replies to that post of mine (and I should have responded, but got busy) mentioned that people can 'subscribe' to my notes.  Is this true?  How would one do it?

When you log onto Facebook, you see this big list of things your friends have done.  "So and So posted this" "This guy is hungry" "So and So says this." 

Is there a way that I can make it so that when I post a new blog entry, it appears on all of my friends home pages as a "Brandon Sanderson posted a note" or something like that?  Does it do that automatically?
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Natalie Perkins

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • NataliePerkins.cjb.net
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 06:27:59 PM »
When you post a note it automatically will leave a notification for your friends. You don't have to do anything.

Yes, one can subscribe to other people's notes, but it's kinda not through facebook. Well it is... and it isn't. Basically, it's through RSS Feeds AND Facebook. In order to subscribe, one must go to the person whose notes they want to subscribe to's page and click on one of their notes. Once there, one must click on the blue tab that says "INSERT NAME HERE's Notes" Once there, in the right mini-sidebar there should be an option, pretty much at the bottom, that says "Subscribe to these Notes" followed by an RSS Symbol (Currently blue) and a link that says "INSERT NAME HERE's Notes." Click it. At the top of the new page there is a yellow box with some words and a link at the bottom that says "Subscribe to this Feed." Click that. A box will pop up, fill in your personal preferences, however if you've never used RSS feeds before then just click Subscribe. The page will refresh itself. If you click on where you're "favorites" appear in a sidebar of your internet exploror there should be an option next to it that says "feeds" and there you go. They'll still have to click on it yourself for updates though.