Author Topic: volunteerism  (Read 2961 times)

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
volunteerism
« on: January 16, 2008, 03:16:39 PM »
So as of last week, I no longer volunteer at the mental health center where I've donated my time running various groups for the past 3 and half years.

So, since I've gotten used to volunteering around 100 hours per year, I'm wondering where I should volunteer next. I can't continue at the mental health center because it could conflict with my job. I also work during school hours, so volunteering with school projects is generally out.

So basically, I'm looking for a place in the community where I could volunteer my time that's in the evening and would only take an hour or two a week. Also, it would be nice if it were something where I could see more of a direct impact in helping people and the tasks asked of me aren't too menial. So any suggestions?
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Brenna

• Level 14
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Hey! Where'd the world go?
    • View Profile
Re: volunteerism
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 05:36:14 PM »
Do any of the libraries near you run Adult Literacy classes?  If so, you could help teach people to read. Those classes are often in the evening, since the people who need them often work during the day, too.

charity

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 06:03:15 PM »
I'm pretty crazy, you could help me!  ;) That'd take around 100 hours a week I'm sure.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 08:21:33 PM »
Do any of the libraries near you run Adult Literacy classes?  If so, you could help teach people to read. Those classes are often in the evening, since the people who need them often work during the day, too.

I'm seriously considering volunteering at the Orem or Provo library. I just came off a job teaching kids how to read; teaching adults how to read might not be that different.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 09:06:22 PM »
Most libraries have a number of programs you can offer to volunteer for. Here in Seattle, up until earlier this year, I've been doing Homework Help with kids in a branch in a lower-income neighborhood. Only my unpredictable health has kept me from continuing--I hated being unreliable for the kids. They also have special programs at the library that they need volunteers for on an as-needed basis, which I try to do every now and then. It's a great way to get involved in the community.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Jhaeli

• Level 3
  • Oh the weather outside is frightful...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 06:38:16 PM »
I don't know what you have down there, but here in Canada, I volunteered at a Riding Stable just outside of the city, where a small group of people helped disabled kids go horseback riding once a week. It was a lot of fun, took just a couple hours, and got me outside. It was also theraputic for the kids. I did it for a few years, then ended up having to quit in my last year of high school. Sadly, last I heard, they couldn't get volunteers and disbanded.

Like I said, I'm not familiar with your area, but there's always little groups that you could dig around a bit for that need volunteers, even more than the well-known or popular ones.
"My task which I am trying to achieve is, by the power of the written word to make you hear, to make you feel - it is, before all, to make you see." - Joseph Conrad

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 04:38:41 AM »
Go up to the VA hospital.  You will find more worthy needs than you could shake a stick at.  Notice there's a satellite location in Orem.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch