Author Topic: Wow, refreshing!  (Read 2852 times)

Craysh

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Wow, refreshing!
« on: January 14, 2008, 10:25:23 PM »
Some authors may go so far as a blog, but to actually go out and mingle with the peasants (like me) on a forum?  That shows not only dedication to your fans but also a respect for them.
And I've got to say that the moment I found out that Brandon Sanderson was finishing the final book of Wheel of Time I was apprehensive.  I immediately went to amazon and bought all but his kids works and started on Warbreaker.  Warbreaker alone has assuaged my worries and made me glad that he's the on board for A Memory of Light.

Also, wow at releasing Warbreaker as a free ebook WHILE you're writing it.  It's a great way to see an excellent author in his creative process. ^_^

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Wow, refreshing!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 10:34:53 PM »
What's not realized is that Brandon is a peasant too and is subservient to Fell, SE and I.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Craysh

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 10:38:52 PM »
lol How can you keep color and inspiration on a leash? I'll tell you: you cannot.
You may think he's subservient but the truth is, he's only playing with your mind ;)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 10:52:14 PM »
0.O  Color and inspiration? I thought we were talking about a person not a concept.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Craysh

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 11:12:09 PM »
Sorry, still reading Warbreaker >.>

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 11:02:46 PM »
Heh.  Thanks for the compliments.  We shall see if I get overwhelmed with all the attention that is coming from the RJ deal.  I think I'm finally getting a handle on email and forum attendance, but those who know me can say that I tend to only post once every week or so.  I read things a lot, but I often get distracted before I actually post.

Warbreaker 4.0 is coming out early next week, by the way.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 12:13:03 AM »
Thank you for the update EUOL  :)

Azhev

• Level 5
  • Wanderer of my own little world
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 04:46:41 AM »
Hmmmm...one of these days I am actually going to have to sit down and read Warbreaker.   Is it any good?
"The ending of a book is, in my experience, both the best and the worst part to read.  For the ending will often decide whethet you love or hate the book."

-Alcatraz Smedry, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians, p262

Daarian

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 03:22:19 PM »
YES.. I found it a rather delightful read and knowing its still being worked on leads me to believe that it will be radiant when it is completely polished up.
""Don't talk to me about nobleman," Vin said. "And don't say things about people you don't know.  You're no skaa-- you're just nobleman without titles." - Quote from Mistborn

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2008, 03:47:01 PM »
Yes, it is very good. Rough in spots, but with each new version that gets a bit better, as you would expect with any work in progress. This will be on the top of my "To have it" list when it is published, even though I will have read it multiple times by then. :)

laddr

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2008, 08:15:33 PM »
I couldnt agree more with Craysh. Before the announcement I had no idea who 'Brandon Sanderson' was but I did know that WOT was my life long favorite series. So I went out and bought the first two mistborn books. Not much more than two weeks later and I was sold. I LOVED them...

Cant wait to see what he does to finish WOT, I have full faith!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 03:12:46 PM »
lol How can you keep color and inspiration on a leash? I'll tell you: you cannot.
You may think he's subservient but the truth is, he's only playing with your mind ;)
Behold! The power of ninja monkeys! I mean really, how else would *you* do it?

kasper11

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 07:32:35 PM »
YES.. I found it a rather delightful read and knowing its still being worked on leads me to believe that it will be radiant when it is completely polished up.

Yes....if you can deal with the inherent grammatical mistakes in a rough draft, the story itself is a very good read. I really enjoyed it, immediately started Mistborn, and am much happier about the AMOL decision after reading it.

Craysh

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 10:01:12 PM »
Dang it. I couldn't finish Warbreaker :'(
Mistborn came in and I couldn't help myself from reading them, followed by Elantis when THAT comes in.
Decisions decisions...

Allara

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2008, 09:01:53 PM »
I also heard about Brandon because of the WoT news, and like others here I immediately bought the first Mistborn book. It seemed interesting enough that I dropped what I was currently reading (Darknesses by L. E. Modesitt Jr., if you're curious) and started Mistborn. I agree with the topic: "wow, refreshing!" was my reaction, too. The book manages to be complex and satisfying without being too "deep" or "literary" (think Malazan Book of the Fallen books or the Hyperion series), making it a perfect recommendation for my wife, who enjoys fantasy/sf but doesn't want to kill herself trying to figure it all out.

I spent part of yesterday driving all over the place trying to locate Mistborn 2 (finally found it at Borders -- good job fantasy buyers there -- Powell's and B&N didn't have it).

Anyway, I think Brandon's a great new author, and I can only hope that his books make it into more bookstores. The fantasy reading public must be made aware of him, especially with WoT impending. Spread the word!