Author Topic: Has anyone seen The Seeker: The dark is rising.  (Read 4083 times)

charity

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Has anyone seen The Seeker: The dark is rising.
« on: January 13, 2008, 03:55:38 PM »
I think that's it's name. It's on our winter matinee series for the kids and they bought tickets (with their own money) problem is that I read the kids in mind review and it doesn't look like the sort of movie you blindly take a 5 and 6 year old to.

So would you take a 5 and 6 year old to it?

Daarian

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone seen The Seeker: The dark is rising.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 09:09:14 PM »
I saw it and I think it is fine for a 5-6 year old. There is no real graphic scenes and the language is fine. The movie is a bit dark but not in a completely terrifying way. Its a good movie in my opinion.
""Don't talk to me about nobleman," Vin said. "And don't say things about people you don't know.  You're no skaa-- you're just nobleman without titles." - Quote from Mistborn

Azhev

• Level 5
  • Wanderer of my own little world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 01:43:16 AM »
Bah!!  It's an evil adaptation of a classic book.  Just make sure your kids know that there is a much better story awaiting them in future.
"The ending of a book is, in my experience, both the best and the worst part to read.  For the ending will often decide whethet you love or hate the book."

-Alcatraz Smedry, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians, p262

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 12:45:25 AM »
Okay, this movie was too fast. I'm interested in the book now cause it seemed like it would be cool, but the movie tried to put it all in the 2 hour slot. And... way to much for a 6 year old, although my 5 year old son loved it  ::) my daughter clung to me the entire time. Definitely high end PG not low.

Daarian

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 09:54:42 PM »
:? Guess I should reserve my opinion of movies to things over PG-13 then. I guess I have a different perception on things.
""Don't talk to me about nobleman," Vin said. "And don't say things about people you don't know.  You're no skaa-- you're just nobleman without titles." - Quote from Mistborn

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 09:58:21 PM »
It's okay. I was kind of expecting about that reaction. And I hold none of it against you ;) They like some movies just fine (like Narnia) and other's they cry "Fast forward mommy!"  (the spiders in HP2) so I just have to gauge them and do a lot of guess work.

Azhev

• Level 5
  • Wanderer of my own little world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 05:05:48 PM »
I'm interested in the book now cause it seemed like it would be cool, but the movie tried to put it all in the 2 hour slot.

The book is so much better.  Just be warned that you won't find many of the things you saw in the movie in book (ex. Will is English, Max has a minor role, and the plot is much more understandable).  Definately read it.
"The ending of a book is, in my experience, both the best and the worst part to read.  For the ending will often decide whethet you love or hate the book."

-Alcatraz Smedry, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians, p262

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 08:03:24 PM »
I'll add it to my list... who writes it?

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 08:15:11 PM »
Susan Cooper.

Though the first book was skipped and the movie was based off the second.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 09:53:11 PM »
gracias... I'm writing it down right now.

Daarian

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 10:29:44 PM »
They like some movies just fine (like Narnia) ...

Does that mean you have intention of seeing Prince Caspian when it comes out? :D lol

And I didn't take it personally, I'm just far from being a child and don't quite remember what children find haunting etc..

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 11:18:15 PM »
Like the first Narnia, I'll be sure to watch it first... I do have to admit that I make them fast forward through the execution (although I'm pretty sure my husband doesn't). I usually don't let them go see a movie without me prescreening it, these movie matinee series tickets are the first time I've been brave enough. Next week is Surf's Up, I'm thinking this'll be a little lighter. Kids-in-Mind has better reviews about it.

Daarian

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 06:35:01 AM »
Yeah.. about the worst thing that happens in that movie a the older brother picking on the younger one. LOL..

kaiyatomiko

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 01:25:37 AM »
I loved the books and I hope they're not gonna stop with just the one film.
I've not seen it yet but I've seen trailers and clips and it's not looking too good......
I first read Susan Coopers books when I was about 11 or 12 ^_^

readerMom

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2008, 04:50:25 PM »
If a poor movie to book adaptation really bothers you, don't see the movie.  It had some good bits, but they cherry-picked through the books for scenes they liked, and changed things for no reason that I could fathom.  It wasn' awful, unless you knew the great books it came from.