Author Topic: My computer keeps asking me...  (Read 5497 times)

charity

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
My computer keeps asking me...
« on: January 11, 2008, 07:51:17 PM »
"This web page is being redirected to a new location. Would you like to resend the form data you have typed to the new location?"

What does that mean? And why is it that all of a sudden it's asking me?

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: My computer keeps asking me...
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 08:11:25 PM »
Is it for this site or any site.

Also what browers and OS?
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 08:17:12 PM »
various sites... I am using Firefox. I couldn't tell you which sites cause it seems to be random... but I'm sure there's a pattern I just haven't picked up on it.

see... I tried to make that smaller.... sorry
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 08:38:11 PM by charity »

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 08:53:21 PM »
the site is probably using some type of header redirect, we use on at log-in I'm not sure if there's any other place we do, to change the url you're viewing and when it's doing that you've got information that needs to be sent as well so Firefox is prompting you for permission to send that information (since it's to a different location).  This is probably some security feature they recently implemented, though I'd run some spyware detecting program to make sure this isn't anything malicious.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 10:26:55 PM »
I ran a virus scan and nothing came up... I opened IE and it doesn't seem to be happening in there. So if it some new thing they implemented than how do I get it to STOP! it's driving me nuts! (not to mention making me nervous, I'm very virus paranoid... it drives my brother nuts)

What's an OS?

ps. thanks for helping me  :)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 10:32:40 PM »
OS  = Operating System
I'll re-update firefox when I'm at home and see if it happens to me.
There will be something in the options to prevent the warning, I'm certain.

also, what did you use to perform the virus scan?

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 11:14:17 PM »
An AV scan may not catch it if it doesn't scan for spyware. I'm not even sure there is anything go on to be honest but since this is something I'm not aware of in Firefox (though I don't tend to use it often) there could be the small possibility of something trying to change your URL from one site to another to farm information, you'd notice a similar URL but somehow different.  Since this isn't happening with IE it makes me believe you've got something set on FireFix that doesn't like Sessions, form information being sent or something similar.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 11:23:38 PM by Spriggan »

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 02:09:11 AM »
I used Avira... I tried to go online and do one of those online scans from Trend Micro, but it popped up something about bonding -er- something (seriously I know next to nothing about this stuff).

It's still doing it though, mostly when I go to google or Winsor.org which is our family website. I'll call my brother in law and see what he says (he runs the website)

Thanks.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 02:01:47 PM »
Ewido is the single best malware scanner I've ever dealt with. You can get a scan online.
http://www.ewido.net/en/onlinescan/

try that.

I have the latest Firefox and I'm not getting this on Google. It makes me suspect something is going on that's not good. What exactly are you doing on Google when it happens?

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2008, 05:11:31 PM »
Well, that scan found a bunch of cookies.... but it didn't fix the problem.

All I have to do is open firefox, which immediately goes to my family site (my homepage) then when it's done loading the little thing comes up. If I go to google at all, it pops up. someone said to go into my security settings then to warning messages and just click off of it, but it's not in there. Someone else said to just dump firefox, sounds like a good idea at this point....

I'll keep looking into it and tell you what happens.

Daarian

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2008, 07:06:23 PM »
In the Firefox browser go to Tools --> Options --> Security Tab --> There should be a section at the bottom that says Warning Messages.. click the button that says Settings and see which of the checkboxes you have marked.
""Don't talk to me about nobleman," Vin said. "And don't say things about people you don't know.  You're no skaa-- you're just nobleman without titles." - Quote from Mistborn

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2008, 07:41:09 PM »
the warning (so that you can see it)

My security settings:

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2008, 08:57:07 PM »
hah, you're on Vista not XP so it doesn't matter what the rest of us try.

Let me load up my Vista machine and load FF on it and see what happens, this could very well be an issue with FF not fully supporting some new security setting on Vista.  I assume you're using FireFox 2.x and not 1, 1.5 or 3 Beta?  You can fid that in Help -> About Firefox

There's also a firefox safemode you and try running, if this still happens it's a FF/Vista issue.

Ok so I'm not getting this with FF2 on Vista, but I'm running Vista SP1 which I'm sure you're not (it's still in beta) so it will be Monday until I can test on a non-SP machine.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 09:10:10 PM by Spriggan »

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2008, 11:40:50 PM »
Spriggan you are so kind. I am using Firefox 2.0.o.11 (which I'm sure is just 2.0, but whats the rest for?)

I will try the safe mode...

Nothing! it doesn't happen in the safe mode... what does that mean? It's just a firefox problem?

It asked me this when I opened safe mode.

You know now that I think about it theme (or was it an add-on) updated recently.. could that be an issue? I think I'll go try that out.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 11:47:11 PM by charity »

Daarian

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2008, 01:18:40 AM »
I am running the same version of FF on Vista Ultimate and I have the same setting on FF so I don't think that is the problem as it doesn't happen to me, but it very well could be your add ons... if you go to Tools --> add-ons you can disable them all and then turn them on one by one to see which one may be causing the problem.. I had a problem that was caused by an extension once upon a time. Granted you will have to restart FF each time you change the status of an extension, so the setting can take effect.
""Don't talk to me about nobleman," Vin said. "And don't say things about people you don't know.  You're no skaa-- you're just nobleman without titles." - Quote from Mistborn