Author Topic: Question: Mistborn - Final Empire  (Read 7197 times)

CUBAREY

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Question: Mistborn - Final Empire
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2007, 05:49:44 AM »
Quote:

How about this...perhaps there were mistborn gaurds at the pits...using allomancy outside of the pits didnt destory the crystals, Kelsier had to go into them to destroy them later on...so, perhaps he had enough trace metals to kill off one of hte mistborn gaurds, catching him by surprise, and then taking his vials.

Why would Straff keep Mistborns at the pit when there was absolutely no evidence that it would be attacked. Would not Straff keep Mistborn close to him for protection unless he knew about a specific threat to the pits"

badmrpotatohead

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2007, 06:31:15 AM »
Well, he did have Zane around....and considering how important the pits were, albeit secretly, it wouldnt be too far off to keep a mistborn around at the mines...lol, I dont know, its all academic anyway.  Brandon would have to chime in on it for there to be a real answer.

VegasDev

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2007, 06:58:53 AM »
Brandon's silence is deafening.  ;D

I only brought all this up because I believe there is a whole 'nuther story that could be told.

We don't know why Kelsier only brought a Tineye and a Smoker when he was captured, when he could have probably used a Thug much more. We don't know the specifics of the battle in the pits but are led to believe that it must have been a great event. We don't know how he was able to convince another Mistborn to be his trainer, when it seems that it would be a closely guarded secret outside of friendship and Gemmel is just mentioned sparsley in MB1. We don't know how Kelsier found the 11th metal and knew that it was to be used to take down the Lord Ruler. Not to mention the minor events like how he recruited Sazed for MB1 when he would have nothing to do with simple thieving ways.

It all adds up to a action packed prequel in my eyes.
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

Azhev

• Level 5
  • Wanderer of my own little world
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2008, 12:47:05 AM »
Or maybe an action packed third book.  Maybe some of the questions being asked will be answered in the third book.  I sure hope so.  I hate having loose ends for too long.
"The ending of a book is, in my experience, both the best and the worst part to read.  For the ending will often decide whethet you love or hate the book."

-Alcatraz Smedry, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians, p262

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2008, 04:05:25 AM »
This is a very interesting discussion; thanks for posting it VegasDev.  The silence, however, was simply because I was watching to see what people said before giving any answers.

And, I still can't give many without spoilers.  Let me say this: Kelsier had help, both realizing that he had snapped and finding metals.  The man who trained him in Allomancy was involved in this, and it's all wrapped up in how Kelsier discovered the Eleventh Metal in the first place. 

I MAY write this story someday.  If I do, it will make its way onto my website, perhaps after being sold as an Amazon Short for a while, kind of like I did with the ELANTRIS short.  There's not much more info in Book Three about this, unfortunately--just a couple of oblique references.  If you can remember until next October, the poke me after you've read MISTBORN 3, I'll give a more complete explanation. 
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Azhev

• Level 5
  • Wanderer of my own little world
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2008, 10:05:08 PM »
You mean we can't start poking now?  Rats!

Thanks for the input, EOUL.  I look forward to remembering what we talked about in October (which by the way seems of so very far away).  ;D
"The ending of a book is, in my experience, both the best and the worst part to read.  For the ending will often decide whethet you love or hate the book."

-Alcatraz Smedry, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians, p262