Author Topic: Books you dislike or used to dislike?  (Read 10354 times)

charity

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Books you dislike or used to dislike?
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2008, 06:05:39 PM »
I just read 'The Assassins of Tamurin' by SD Tower (which I know was on here as a bad book). I'm gonna have to say that if it weren't for the insane amount of details... I'm talking over the top, I don't care what the stupid flower looked like kinda details... it might have been good.

But then again, they made the one lady (antagonist) so manipulative and the MC so blithely unaware that I wanted to scream in frustration. I don't think I've ever run into a character I was so happy to see 'get it' than in that book.

I don't think I'd recommend it to anyone.

Azhev

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Wanderer of my own little world
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2008, 03:24:28 PM »
I would have to agree with you there, charity.  I just checked it out from the library earlier this week.  I was hoping that review was a little harsh, but it was actually spot on.  The Assassins of Tamurin had such potential, but feel very flat. 

One good thing is that it was a single novel, and not part of a series.  This way, I don't feel bad for not picking  up the rest.   ;D
"The ending of a book is, in my experience, both the best and the worst part to read.  For the ending will often decide whethet you love or hate the book."

-Alcatraz Smedry, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians, p262

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2008, 07:47:34 PM »
lol am i alone in trying to forget the bad books I've read? I guess if i just picked up a really bad one it would be fresh in my memory...or maybe if the books so scarred you it left an indelible mark on your very soul...

No to add something to the conversation i just picked up Retribution by Lee Vance, his debut thriller. I hated it. The main character spends pretty much the entire book in a rage, all the cops are bad guys, etc. Also he gets all righteous and indignant when he was accused of cheating on his wife, when really he was...I couldn't finish it.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 07:53:15 PM by Reaves »
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2008, 04:58:12 AM »
Ummm, let's see, books I dislike...  Well, I thought Prophet of Yonwood was definitely a step down from City of Ember and People of Sparks, I'm not sure what I think of how Eoin Colfer keeps spewing out more of Artemis, even though I love him, poor Artemis has been through a lot I thought it was time to retire him.  But none of these books I really dislike per say.  I really hated "Dear Nobody," which we had to read in school, all the pregnant teen drama didn't do it for me, and the characters were just being dumb with eachother, ummm I also didn't like "Alive," very much (I also had to  read that in school), and "A Night to Remember," another non fiction one about the Titanic (which I also had to read for school).  I think I do a pretty good job of picking books I like because most of the books I pick for myself are enjoyable.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier