Author Topic: Journeyman  (Read 4985 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Journeyman
« on: December 18, 2007, 08:07:44 AM »
I really like this show. There's one episode left, and just like with tonight's episode, the network isn't advertising it (as far as I can tell). They didn't run a preview for tonight's episode at the end of last week's, and tonight they didn't run a preview of the next episode...and they did not even mention that the next episode will air at a special date...TWO DAYS FROM NOW. Ugh. This is going to be the year of Big Media Companies Screwing Everyone Over Like They Have Never Scrwed Before.

Boo on them.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
Re: Journeyman
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 08:47:49 AM »
They did that with Life, too--what are they thinking, putting the finale of a show on a night that isn't the regular night, and not even advertising it? Would they have even thought to do that with Lost?
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 08:55:02 AM »
That makes even less sense with Life, since they decided to order more episodes of that. They've passed on any more episodes of Journeyman though, so them burying it is easy to understand. Except for the fact that there are so few new episodes of any scripted television series; you might think they'd want to go after the audience of people who want to see anything new...
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 02:53:58 PM »
and here I was wondering why a thread about an Eric Clapton album was in the movies/tv section.

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 04:38:52 PM »
Actually, they did mention at the end of the episode that the next episode would be on Wednesday. I am sad that it's the last--I really like the show, and I doubt they can really resolve the whole thing by then, and if they do it will probably seem rushed since when they were setting it all up, it was to last a lot longer. I'm sick of networks getting rid of shows I like.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 05:16:20 PM »
When did they say it? I didn't tape it, so I can't go back and check, but it sure wasn't obvious.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 05:26:08 PM »
Aren't they canceling this show?
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 05:37:15 PM »
Journeyman is being unofficially canceled. From what I understand, the network had until Dec. 11th to renew it for another season, because of the writer strike no action was taken by the network. Effectively, the show is canceled by default.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 07:28:54 PM »
I already said the network passed on more episodes of Journeyman...

I don't really understand ratings. If Wikipedia is to be believed, 5.5–6 million people have been watching every week, or 6–7% of the audience watching their televisions at that hour. I guess that's not good enough.

Azhev

• Level 5
  • Wanderer of my own little world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 07:56:48 PM »
That's too bad.  I really liked Journeyman.  Of course, I like time travel storylines.
"The ending of a book is, in my experience, both the best and the worst part to read.  For the ending will often decide whethet you love or hate the book."

-Alcatraz Smedry, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians, p262

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 08:03:51 PM »
I don't really understand ratings. If Wikipedia is to be believed, 5.5–6 million people have been watching every week, or 6–7% of the audience watching their televisions at that hour. I guess that's not good enough.

That's a decent number, but not for that timeslot.  It has one of the sweetest timeslots (Monday after Heroes) on one of the premier networks.  Heroes brings in 14-15 million viewers, so that's a huge dropoff to Journeyman.  NBC probably thinks they can put something better in that slot.

That said, it would make more sense to just move Journeyman to a different timeslot and see how loyal the viewers are, rather than just cancelling it.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 09:30:47 PM »
When did they say it? I didn't tape it, so I can't go back and check, but it sure wasn't obvious.

They said it after the episode was over. I can't remember if it was during the credits or what, but I changed the channel when it was over, so I know it was within the hour of the show. I remember thinking how weird it was that they were having two new episodes in one week and that it wasn't good news for the show.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2007, 07:26:03 PM »
They're cancelling Journeyman... by default? Waaaaaaa! How Grinchy of them.  :'( I'm really sick of all the cancellations. I was really hoping we'd get Dresden back after all the fan lobbying. but I can't seem to see any real change on the Dresden front.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2007, 07:43:17 PM »
Ratings, viewership, and fans seem to be having less and less of an impact on what shows stay on the air. More seems to be the preferences of the network executives and their bottom-line.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.