Author Topic: I'm going to a Magic PTQ  (Read 6433 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
I'm going to a Magic PTQ
« on: December 12, 2007, 06:46:20 PM »
I love going to Magic: the Gathering pre-releases, but I've always wanted to go to an actual tournament--not because I long to crush my opponents or anything, but just because I want to see how I'd do. I wouldn't want to bother with a constructed tournament because I don't have the time (or the desire) to study the metagame in sufficient detail, so I've been waiting for a limited tournament to come along. As it happens, this weekend there's a Pro Tour Qualifier tournament in Salt Lake City that's all limited: several rounds of sealed deck followed by a draft for the top 8. So, to sate my curiosity, I'm going.

The only thing is, I hate going to these things alone. If anyone else out there will be attending the same tournament (or is interested in maybe attending), let me know.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: I'm going to a Magic PTQ
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 07:13:46 PM »
Too bad EUOL's not around, you probably could have convinced him to go.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 08:29:38 PM »
He's so not a tournament guy, though. And I'm not either, I'm just trying this out for fun.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 08:31:03 PM »
You could try asking Nate Goodrich, if he's not already going.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 08:50:50 PM »
Nate actively despises tournament Magic. He might consider me going to one as a personal insult.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 04:27:18 AM »
If only I were still in Utah…
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 06:13:57 PM »
So I went to this thing and got spanked. The specific problem is that I had two really awesome white cards that blinded me to the overall mediocreness of the rest of my white, so I ended up playing a weak color. My blue was far superior--it didn't have anything as flashy and bomb-y as though two white cards, but the rest of it was much better overall. I ended up playing black-green-white, which was essentially elves plus some random junk, when I should have been playing black-green-blue elves and fairies.

The more general problem is that I simply didn't know the set very well. I do great at pre-releases because nobody knows the format, and I can evaluate a new set pretty well on the fly, but now that the set's been out for two months and everyone else has had time to study it (while I haven't touched it since the day of the pre-release). Which means that the real root problem was arrogance--I assumed I didn't have to prepare, when in reality I should have played with the set more leading up to the event. Just a few games would have helped me spot the power differences in my card pool when I should have, instead of three matches later when I dropped out and went home with my tail between my legs.

medikman

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 05:06:19 AM »
I know I am brand new here, but I read a few posts about MTG. Do you guys play often? I haven't played in years, but I used to love playing. I even had a few really fun decks. Many of my cards have been sold but I still have quite a few, not sure how good of a deck I could get from them though, but I had fun even when I lost.

Most of the people I know think I am a complete nerd and have never even heard of the game. I live in Tooele so if you ever have games and are open to new people, I can get to most places along the SL valley within an hour or so.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup