Author Topic: How did you find out about Brandon Sanderson?  (Read 52101 times)

Aaants

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: How did you find out about Brandon Sanderson?
« Reply #195 on: August 10, 2010, 02:30:26 PM »
I read the Farseer and Tawny man trilogies by Robin Hobb then went after something similar, I noticed she was quoted on the back of Brandon's books and never looked back :)

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 10, 2010, 05:16:20 PM »
I read the Farseer and Tawny man trilogies by Robin Hobb then went after something similar, I noticed she was quoted on the back of Brandon's books and never looked back :)

This always gets me. If I see any quote from Orson Scott Card on a sci-fi book, I usually have to at least read the first 2 chapters. I'm a sucker.
Maker of Days - Dubbed so by Miyabi

Recruit of the Omegas.

Link von Kelsier Harvey XXIV

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 11, 2010, 04:53:19 AM »
A quote from Orson Scott Card  (and the fact that it was $7 hardback) is the reason I bought and read Elantris!  OSC changed my life!
Your signature has got to go!
-Peter Ahlstrom

Hearttlight

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 31, 2010, 03:23:17 PM »
Having registered to these forums today (hi all!), for the sole purpose of talking about Brandon's books, I think it's fitting to start by posting in this topic. No big story there, however. I wish I would've found out about Brandon Sanderson in another way than most of his readers. Not the case. I started out as a Wheel of Time fan, and easily found my way to Brandon's books through those.

I actually only recently started reading fantasy. I read the Lord of the Rings when I was just a kid, but other than that, there isn't all that much fantasy to come by here in Holland (if my English sucks, there's my excuse!). It wasn't until someone pointed me towards The Wheel of Time, that I rediscovered the genre.

That was about two years ago. I started reading and didn't stop reading. In four months, I had read all eleven books and New Spring. In Dutch, all of them. After that, I started on the Song of Ice and Fire series, but well, let's face it, though it's good, it isn't WoT. On the internet, I found out about Sanderson completing the WoT series, and decided I wanted to give his books a try.

As none of his books are translated to Dutch, the first Mistborn was also the first English book I read. It opened up a whole new world. The last year, I've read about seventy different books of a whole lot of different writers. None ever did to me what Mistborn, Elantris and Warbreaker did, however. And now, I'm just a huge fan of Brandon. What's left for me to do, is try to convert my fellow Dutchies to fans as well. Noone's ever even heard of him!

calvin

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 31, 2010, 04:46:02 PM »
None ever did to me what Mistborn, Elantris and Warbreaker did, however. And now, I'm just a huge fan of Brandon. What's left for me to do, is try to convert my fellow Dutchies to fans as well. Noone's ever even heard of him!
  It's just a matter of time!  I love that Brandon's younger than me and a prolific writer...just means that we'll be seeing a LOT more of him!  (but never quite enough...*sigh*)
If everyone else sits back and does nothing, the bad guy wins.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 31, 2010, 07:34:21 PM »
Actually a Dutch version of ELANTRIS came out from De Boekerij.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Hearttlight

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 31, 2010, 08:28:11 PM »
It did? Awesome! Hadn't noticed yet! Well, that's a start then. Do you know if there are any plans to translate any of the other books to Dutch, Peter?

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 31, 2010, 09:25:18 PM »
Having registered to these forums today (hi all!), for the sole purpose of talking about Brandon's books, I think it's fitting to start by posting in this topic...

Welcome! Feel free to introduce yourself here and take a look at our other forums.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Twim'c

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 31, 2010, 10:32:48 PM »
I found out about Brandon Sanderson through my uncle, who listens/ed to Writing Excuses. We listened to the Mistborn series as an audio book while fixing a roof. After that, I went to his website and downloaded Warbreaker. I read it in two days.
[color=808080]To whom is may concern...[/color]

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 01, 2010, 07:32:52 AM »
I haven't heard of any other Dutch edition plans. If there's more to say about that, it should be in a separate thread.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

zebobes

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 01, 2010, 07:49:09 AM »
I was lurking on Robin Hobb's message board, and heard how she highly recommended the Mistborn books, and the Name of the Wind by Pat Rothfuss. I think she read both of them as ARCs, as they weren't out yet. I read Elantris first, and then Mistborn and Name of the Wind came out.

Wow, and I'm still waiting for the sequel to Name of the Wind, and Brandon has finished the Mistborn trilogy AND Warbreaker AND Way of Kings AND the Gathering Storm...

Kierlionn

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 01, 2010, 09:13:16 AM »
My parents and I were visiting Provo while we were on a road trip, I convinced them to take me into the BYU Book Store, and went straight to the Fantasy/Sci-Fi section, the huge stack of numbered and signed Warbreaker books sitting in a pile caught my attention, it looked quite interesting and I needed more books to read so I tried to convince my parents to get it for me. Sadly they said no, but they said they would get me three other books if they were cheap paperbacks, I saw the Mistborn series and decided to grab those. I haven't regretted it yet, and I doubt I will.

LoneStar

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 23, 2010, 10:15:26 PM »
I loved the energy and cadence he brought into the WOT series, he has certainly refreshed my interest in the universe even prompting me to re-read the first three books that i originally read over 10 years ago.

After that i went looking for other books and since the first 2 volumes of Mistborn were sold out i went with Warbreaker, Absolutely loved this book and the preview of tWOK at the back had me desperately awaiting it arrival, i was at Chapters first thing on its release date and have been taking slightly long lunch breaks ever since....

Just finished Way of Kings today and man oh man this is going to be an awesome ride!  anyone know when the next book is planned?  I'm already impatient. 

rjl

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 24, 2010, 12:59:51 AM »
Unfortuanately we're unlikely to see the sequel to the way of kings untill 2012, because Brandon has pledged to write A memory of Light first...

yakumo fujii

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 24, 2010, 06:33:56 AM »
I heard he was going to finish the Wheel of Time, so I started reading his books and liked them.