Author Topic: How did you find out about Brandon Sanderson?  (Read 52135 times)

Eich

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: How did you find out about Brandon Sanderson?
« Reply #180 on: July 03, 2010, 04:21:01 AM »
I had never heard about Sanderson before it was known he was to complete the WoT series.  Started to read the current version of Warbreaker, and really liked it.  From there it was to Mistborn triology (I was totally hooked half way through the Final Empire). Elantris and final version of Warbreaker followed afterwards.  Sanderson has become one of my absolute favourite authors in fantasy, and this forum has been a great resource in delving deeper in the material.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #181 on: July 03, 2010, 08:20:49 AM »
I overheard an Orangutan discussing WoT with a Chimpanzee.  The Tamarin's were completely oblivious to Sanderson, being great fans of Dave Farland and Orson Scott Card.  That of course lead me to Sanderson's website and here from there.

P.S. the Orangutan was called Nea and the Chimp was called Styve. ;P
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

JimJam

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 03, 2010, 09:09:04 AM »
Technically I first heard about Brandon when I read TGS earlier this year, but for some reason never got round to checking out the rest of his work. About a month ago I was in need of something to read and saw The Final Empire displayed at the front of the store. There was a review on the back by Robin Hobb (another of my favourite authors - I would definitely recommend her) and so I thought it was worth a try, it wasn't until halfway through that book that I realised the author was the same guy writing the rest of the WoT books! I steamed through the rest of the trilogy, which I loved, but have yet to decide what to read next.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 03, 2010, 01:05:35 PM »
I've read Robin Hobb's soldier son trilogy.  I took me about half of the first book to get into it, but in the end, I liked it.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

JimJam

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 03, 2010, 11:05:08 PM »
Thats the one trilogy of hers I haven't read, I loved all the others though.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 06, 2010, 03:29:57 AM »
I finished the first book and realized I didn't care about any of the characters. So I didn't read the others.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 06, 2010, 04:27:37 AM »
True, there isn't much for character in those.  It's pretty much all just Nevare. 
I didn't say they were my favorites, not by far, but I did enjoy them.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 06, 2010, 04:40:58 AM »
Oh oops, I didn't realize which thread this was, so continued the off-topicness, which I shouldn't have done.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Obsessiforge

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 06, 2010, 07:14:44 AM »
I'm reading Warbreaker, and I'm really enjoying Lightsong's sense of humor. It reminds me of Breeze in a lot of ways.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 06, 2010, 10:11:45 PM »
Lightsong was definately my favorite character in those books.  Well, maybe second favorite.  The first was Nightblood.  Best character ever!
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #190 on: July 08, 2010, 07:30:27 AM »
Still with the off topicness. :)
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Rrikor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 08, 2010, 02:26:49 PM »
Welcome all you new readers.  :D  I am glad that people have been finding Brandon through other major fantasy authors.  I think finishing WoT is a great boon for Brandon and will help attract him a large audience base so that we get to experience a lot more of his writing.   

I went back through this post and relized the thread has been around for 3 years.  I have probably said it before on this thread but I started reading Brandon's book when it was announced that he was finishing WoT.  I have read all but the Alcatraz books.  I have only read the first on of them.  I plan saving for a kindle now that the price has dropped.  Is there plans to put the alcatraz books out on it.  I know the rest of Brandon's books are on it.

Liadan

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 15, 2010, 07:44:56 PM »
New Poster but Old Brandon Fan (Kinda)  ::)

I found out about Brandon when one of my co-workers came in and said.. Hey Have you heard that RJ Died???? I was in shock... However long after it was when they announced that Brandon would complete the series my coworker came back in.. Have you ever heard of this Brandon Sanderson guy?? I told him I hadn't. He said that it was announced that Brandon would finish the WoT books, and since he hadn't heard of him, and I read like 80+ books a year, that he had wondered if I had.

It was then and there that I decided I had to determine if Brandon really was the right choice to finish RJ's books, because in my mind if he wasn't I would write off WoT.

I went over to B&N and bought Elantris which was the only Sanderson book in stock, and read it. I loved it and knew that Brandon was the right choice for the job.

Over time I bought the Mistborn books and read them, loved them. Got the WoT Book for my birthday (Yes I had to wait like 3 weeks for it cause hubby wanted to get it for my bday present) and thought Brandon did an awesome job. He stayed true to RJ's characters and visions, and any changes to characters felt to me like a normal progression that would be expected with the journey the characters had taken.

I held off on buying and Warbreaker due to the fact that my hubby bought me 22 books for Christmas this last year. I would have finished them in May if it hadn't been that I needed to take a me break in March...

I finished the 22 books on Friday July 9th and bought Warbreaker on the same day at lunch. Read it in 3 days and loved it.  (Like I couldn't at this point). Brandon has now made a very short list of Authors I'll buy without reading the first chapter of the book since I know he is guaranteed not to disappoint.

Taking some time off reading now so I can work on my own writings, but my next book will be bought August 31st where I'll get at least a 30 second opportunity to meet Brandon (Fingers crossed).
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Declaration of Independence

Warbreaker

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 16, 2010, 01:12:58 AM »
I heard about Brandon because he was chosen to finish WOT so I decided to see if he was any good.  I've listened to the Mistborn trilogy, Elantris and Warbreaker.  Haven't gotten around to Alcatraz yet, I'm waiting to see if they release the other 3 on audio so needlessly to say I approve.

P.S. eagerly awaiting Way of Kings

darkfiction13

• Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Jason White's website
« Reply #194 on: July 29, 2010, 11:58:53 PM »
I came to Brandon's work in what I think is an interesting way.

I was at the World Horror Convention of 2007 in Toronto. I went to a panel about agents, and on that panel was a man names Joshua Bilmes.  Later that night, I had a short discussion with Joshua about my own work. Then, the next day, I saw Joshua again in the book store. He was wandering the fantasy section, and we nodded at each other. Then, he said he had a suggestion for me, and he took me to Brandon Sanderson's book, Elantris. He said that Brandon was a client of his, and that Elantris was something he was really proud of.

I thought, why the heck not? It's not everyday you get a literary agent suggesting a book. I got it and have never looked back. Brandon is a fantastic writer!
Visit me on the web at: http://www.jasonwhitefiction.com