Author Topic: How did you find out about Brandon Sanderson?  (Read 52137 times)

Jurisprude

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: How did you find out about Brandon Sanderson?
« Reply #135 on: June 25, 2009, 10:45:55 PM »
My wife and I got hooked on Wheel of Time from her sister, who loaned us all of her hardcover/softcover WoT books, as well as through audiobooks of the same.  Not sure how I became aware that B.S. was chosen to finish the series, but at some point I did.  Proceeded to find his website, read his blog, read Warbreaker, and become a fan.  Intend to pick up Elantris and the Mistborn books at some point, but for now simply waiting for The Gathering Storm to come out.

eVeNtInE

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 26, 2009, 06:08:27 AM »
I read about him being the new WoT author and decided to look him up. Have been ordering any new books of his to be sent straight here to Ireland since. :D

Euphrasie

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 26, 2009, 07:52:48 AM »
For those who came via Orson Scott Card, Brandon is featured again.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #138 on: June 26, 2009, 09:04:12 AM »
I'm wondering if there might be a book in the topic/title A Missiology of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time.

Hah. I joke.  But some fans are pretty dogged about forcing new readers. :P
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

AllWrong

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 26, 2009, 11:38:13 AM »
I read he would be the new WoT author.  I had never heard of him, and was prepared to be disappointed (like I was with the Brian Herbert Dune novels).  I bought Mistborn to give him a fair shot.  I've now read all of his epic fantasy published works, will probably be buying his Alcatraz books soon, and can't WAIT for the WoT books to come out.

Bio

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 07, 2010, 02:44:39 PM »
Like a lot of people it seems, it unfortunately had to come from Robert Jordan's death for me. At least there was a silver lining in allowing me to discover this guy. I was talking to a friend of mine, asking him if he was still going to read The Wheel of Time now that another author had taken over, and his words were "...Of Course, you haven't read any of Sanderson's books?"

He directed me toward the Mistborn series, which I loved every minute of, and then I read The Gathering Storm, finished that a week ago (I waited to read it because I wanted to re-read all of the WoT books before reading it), which was wonderful, and just yesterday I finished Elantris. Today I'm going to start reading Warbreaker, which I have been looking forward to doing.

I'm always glad to find a new Fantasy author that I really like.  Doesn't happen too often for me.

Lord Terrisman

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 07, 2010, 07:17:27 PM »
I found out about Mr. Sanderson's work form a friend of mine who was going crazy over his Mistborn books.  I mainly ignored her until a year later she found out about Elantris and bought the hardcover and got it signed by him at the Colorado Sci Fi convention.  So then I started looking him up on barnesandnobles.com and made up my mind to read his books.  Now I'm almost done with Hero of Ages and can't wait to read Elantris.

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 07, 2010, 08:52:42 PM »
I picked up Elantris shortly after it came out as part of my ongoing effort to prove that you can, in fact, judge a book by it's cover. When I have the money, I go to the bookstore and purchase two books - one which I read the synopsis and maybe a few pages, often something by an author I've heard of, and then a second with which I look at nothing but the cover. The cover of Elantris grabbed me, so I bought it.

I don't even remember the other book I got that day. Elantris blew me away. Been a fan ever since.
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

KhyEllie

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 07, 2010, 10:46:13 PM »
I had a friend who was trying to explain Mistborn(because he was currently reading it and way into it), and since I'm heavy into reading, I asked if I could borrow it. From there, I just couldn't stop, particularly after I noticed the Hoid phenomenon.

Aginor221

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 08, 2010, 04:34:25 AM »
Ok, so I'm a lurker, I've been around these forums for a good two years just reading everything that is discussed and marveling at the humor some of the posters have. Anyway, My brother came home on day from B&N with Mistborn and told me to read it or die. So naturally fearing for my life I started it. I had heard that Brandon was writing the WOT series now and I wanted to read it for analysis and such. Ash fell from the sky - completely threw me into the story. I couldn't  get enough of it, and after I bought my Kindle I got the other two. I laugh now when my english teacher says that the first line of a book can draw readers in because, Brandon had the best I'd read in a long time. Ash fell from the sky - I just dont know where he comes up with it, but he's a fantastic writer.
   I've downloaded Warbreaker(and later bought the hardcover from amazon, along with Elantris) and loved the magic system, I actually gave Warbreaker to a friend at work like 3 months ago and converted him(although I havent gotten the book back.) I have two TGS copies, one of which is signed, and I am eagerly devouring information on WOK. Oh, I also scourged the forums for the Liar of Partinel download from like 5 years ago I think, which I have on my computer and numerous flash drives.
   Brandon is also the reason why I've started writing more, and am thinking about a career in either editing or writing.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 04:42:07 AM by Aginor221 »

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #145 on: March 24, 2010, 05:47:25 AM »
I was at, if I remember right, our school's fall band concert near the beginning of the year.  Afterward I ran into a friend who had graduated the previous year and he had a friend with him who was a bit older and a film buff.  Our mutual friend went off to talk to someone else, and I wound up talking to him about various things.  The subject of books came up and he mentioned the WoT, he asked if I'd read it, and I admitted I hadn't.  Well, he didn't really tell me about the books, but about how the series was going to be continued after RJ died.  I'm not actually sure if he said the name Brandon Sanderson, but that was where I first witnessed his influence.  I didn't think about it at all after that.
In December, I was getting a ride home from a friend after one of very many Christmas choir performances, and another choir friend was in the car.  The subject of books came up, and he recommended Mistborn to me, spilling out buckets of praise about the books, which I decided to take with a grain of salt (unnecessary, of course).  When I was getting out of the car he mentioned how it had three magic systems, which earned a raise eyebrow and a "what the?" when he told me the names of the systems.
So I put a hold on FE at the library and about mid January I got my hands on it.  I proceeded to ravenously devour it, reading late into the night.  I then got the next two from the library and glutted myself on those, confiding in my friend about different plot twists as I got to them.
I've since read everything that Brandon has put out, save for the WoT, which I'm actually downloading the audiobook for right now.  Interesting how life works, isn't it?
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

Link von Kelsier Harvey XXIV

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 24, 2010, 06:41:24 PM »
I was walking through the BYU bookstore in late 2006.  The cover of a certain book caught my eye.  I walked over and picked it up.  There was a blurb on the front by Orson Scott Card, proclaiming it to be the greatest book of fantasy to be written in many years.  I flipped it over and read the back.  At the line, "Eternity ended ten years ago," I knew I had to read the book.  I bought Elantris, which was only $7.00 hardback, presumably because Brandon teaches at BYU, took it home and loved it.  As soon as I finished, I went looking for more.  There was Mistborn.  That was actually full price, and I was poor, so every day between classes I would go to the bookstore, sit, and read.  Once 2007 hit, I went to Japan for two years for the same reason Brandon went to Korea.  But I gave explicit instructions that Well of Ascension be waiting for me when I got back.  I now own all three of the books, and all signed too.  I attended the Warbreaker release party and got #17.  And now, I'm reading the entire Wheel of Time for the first time because I'm a Brandon Sanderson fan, rather than the other way around.  Go Brandon! ;D
Your signature has got to go!
-Peter Ahlstrom

linuxwolf

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 25, 2010, 05:22:49 PM »
I saw on /. that Robert Jordan died, and his wife had chosen Brandon to finish the books.  Anybody here knows /. knows that criticism from the geek crowd there can be pretty harsh.

I looked up Brandon Sanderson, found his website, and read the first three chapters of Mistborn.  Even if it wasn't a great book, I would have finished it for no other reason than he posted the first three chapters for free. 

I have since purchased all 3 mistborn books and elantris, gotten my wife into them and now she's read them all.  Wife pulled up his page and started reading Alcatraz, we thought it would be great to assign my 11 yr old daughter for a book report (homeschool), so I bought it and have read the entire alcatraz series to date.

We're currently reading the first book to my 8 yr old son.

Unlike most, I had not read WoT before I heard of Brandon.  I had heard of WoT as the epitomy of Fantasy series, but never gotten around to it.  I'm not trying to collect all of the WoT series in Hard Cover, and have read them all.

Will also be getting all of Brandon's works in hard cover as I can.  Before Brandon, I  read little Fantasy novels primarily reading mystery, suspense, and thrillers.

whitetrash

• Level 2
  • Trailer Park Pimp
    • View Profile
    • Edon Thompson
« Reply #148 on: March 27, 2010, 05:57:19 AM »
From a thread on Terrybrooks .net and took the advice of some people on there to give him a try..

Rezo

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 28, 2010, 03:37:05 PM »
Went to a bookshop and saw Elantris. It had a nice cover, and since it was large enough*, I bought it. Been a fan ever since, even though Elantris and MB1 and 2 are the only Brandon's books printed in Poland. I had to order this ugly softcover and wait for it for a few weeks after reading MB2.

* Books in Poland are usually printed on wider paper than in US, which makes them much larger in size. For example, my Polish MB1 is around two times the size of my English MB3, even though it's around 200 pages shorter.