Author Topic: How did you find out about Brandon Sanderson?  (Read 52107 times)

Azhev

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Wanderer of my own little world
    • View Profile
Re: How did you find out about Brandon Sanderson?
« Reply #90 on: January 03, 2008, 12:23:09 AM »
That guy must actually be part of the Librarian Conspiracy.

Shhhh...no one is supposed to know about that!!
"The ending of a book is, in my experience, both the best and the worst part to read.  For the ending will often decide whethet you love or hate the book."

-Alcatraz Smedry, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians, p262

Swiggly

• Level 4
  • Here's for trying, rhymes with dying
    • View Profile
    • Gaia Online Account
« Reply #91 on: January 08, 2008, 01:52:28 AM »
I found his book at the library and became obsessed, visiting his website at the back of the book.

Elantris, by the way. Before mistborn ever even came out.
I want to be a publisher at Tor Fantasy when I grow up.

YAY

urbmd

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 10, 2008, 04:26:32 AM »
I read the announcement (on wotmania.com) that BS was to finish the Wheel of Time series and decided to read his Mistborn books.  Having the first few chapters online is a great way to hook new readers.  I read the opening chapters and immediately raced through the rest of the books.  They were truly fantastic!

Crux

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 11, 2008, 12:14:30 AM »
I was bumming around a Barnes & Noble and came across Elantris in the new release shelf.  I had it read in week (which for me is insanely fast).  Absolutely loved it and couldn't wait for his next book. Then Mistborn came out, same thing happened with MB1, took me 5 days, MB2 took me 3 days...  I just couldn't put them down!  Less-than-3 Vin!

AgentX7

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 11, 2008, 02:42:32 AM »
Just like a lot of other people: Dragonmount announced that Robert Jordan's series was to be finished by him. I scratched my head and said "Who?"

My wife was nice enough to order me all of his published books for Christmas, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that I didn't hate him. (I'm very picky.)

Serif

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 13, 2008, 04:10:43 AM »
found about thru dragonmount went to his website  read warbreaker thought it was really good and bought mistborn 1 and 2 and thought they were awesome!

Merzbow

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 17, 2008, 02:12:38 AM »
Randomly followed Amazon links related to fantasy books, came across Elantris. Amazon is an awesome sales tool... I learn of perhaps 90% of the new CDs and books I buy through Amazon lists and links...

Natalie Perkins

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • NataliePerkins.cjb.net
« Reply #97 on: January 18, 2008, 05:38:53 AM »
This girl in my math class basically forced Mistborn onto me. It took her about 6 monthes to convince me to read it, but I did eventually. I enjoyed it very much and looked into Elantris and wanted to find out when Mistborn's sequal was coming out so I searched for an official website and Voila! BrandonSanderson.com.

The girl in my math class found him because her dad read Mistborn and he reccomended it to her.
He found it because he was at the book store and thought it had a cool cover so he bought it.
^^ And I agree, I really like the cover to Mistborn. It was really vivid and I liked it very much
‘Never trust a teenage boy in a room of teenage girls to be on time.’ (Wievorann Ch.6)

Reckalie

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 22, 2008, 09:29:29 PM »
I took Brandon's Scifi writing class at BYU.  One of our required reading materials was Elantris.  It was an excellent class that taught me a lot of about writing a novel.

Azhev

• Level 5
  • Wanderer of my own little world
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2008, 05:09:02 AM »
I took Brandon's Scifi writing class at BYU.  One of our required reading materials was Elantris.  It was an excellent class that taught me a lot of about writing a novel.

Must be good to be the teacher when you can use your own stuff for required reading.   ;D
"The ending of a book is, in my experience, both the best and the worst part to read.  For the ending will often decide whethet you love or hate the book."

-Alcatraz Smedry, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians, p262

laddr

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2008, 02:37:36 PM »
From the blog/announcement on dragonmount.com. Quickly picked up Mistborn 1, it rocked, picked up Mistborn 2, it rocked. Now I am hooked and cant wait for Mistborn 3, and especially WOT.

~M@rl3E~

• Level 1
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/stinky00
« Reply #101 on: January 24, 2008, 09:58:25 PM »
This is my first post (yea for me).  I judged Mistborn by it's cover and bought it.  I couldn't put it down!  I went shopping all day yesterday looking for book 2 and couldn't find it  :(.  So I ordered it off Amazon and it should be coming 1/29.  I can't wait!!!  I haven't been this excited about a book in a long time.

Hero of Ages

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 28, 2008, 09:33:34 AM »
It is interesting how most of us came to read Brandon's books.

As for me, I was in B&N about a year ago just browsing like I always do and saw 2 books that looked interesting.  The covers for Elantris and Mistborn really caught my eye.  I looked thru them and saw a familiar name pop out.  Isaac Stewart, the map artist for MB, and I went to high school together.  Even better was the fact that Brandon had been there just days before and had signed all of the copies in the store.  I love signed books so I bought one of each and am now hooked.  When MB 2 came out Brandon and Isaac came for a signing and signed all of my unsigned copies (at this point just MB2 and Alcatraz).  Fun times.

I even got my wife (who hates fantasy because of all the weird made up names and places that she can't figure out the pronunciations for) hooked on them.  I think she was more excited about meeting Brandon than I was.

She even hinted that she wanted to name our next child Vin if it were a girl.  I think she was just joking but we find out what number 4 is in 2 months and see if she still feels that way when the baby is born in August.
I must not fear;
Fear is the mind killer;
I will face my fear;
I will let it pass through me;
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing;
Only I will remain.
-Paul Muad'dib Atreides-

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself.
-Me-

CrystalKitten

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 28, 2008, 06:24:13 PM »
I have to admit I'd never even heard of Brandon Sanderson before Harriet announce on dragonmount.com that he was who she had chosen to finish the Wheel of Time series.

I'm very picky with my fantasy writers.  I find that while some have good concepts, they tend to almost forget that while the book can be all bout magic, and strange enigmatic problems, you need people to tell the story through, generally.  I find some books particularly painful to read, and before Brandon, there were only 3 authors that were able to get me to hang onto their every word, and finish 800 page books in a single weekend.

When I picked up Brandon's first book, I ,honestly, thought I would have to force myself through another mediocre writer, in an attempt to find out more about his writing style, so that Wheel of Time 12 wouldn't be a complete shock.  I have to say I was more than simply pleasantly surprised.  I couldn't put the book down.

I started with Mistborn, finished very quickly, and picked up Well of Ascension.  Couldn't find Elantris anywhere, so I downloaded Warbreaker, and finished in a matter of days.  I'm now desperately awaiting WoT12, Mistborn 3, and am desperately hoping for a Warbreaker sequel, as I need to know what happens next!

Brandon Sanderson is now part of an elite group of writers that I will be keeping close tabs on, waiting for new books, preordering if necessary.  He came around just in time, as the other writers I enjoy have just finished their series.

Bryant

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 29, 2008, 01:10:15 PM »
I'm a bit ashamed to say the WoT announcement was the first time I learned of Brandon. I decided that I needed to read his stuff before the 12th Wheel of Time book was released, but ended up putting it off for some time - and now I really wish I hadn't. I finally bought Elantris and the two Mistborn novels about a week ago. I sat down and started reading Elantris, and was roughly halfway through before I stopped to finally go to sleep - I had only planned on reading for an hour, but it had turned into three. The next day, I finished it.

At first, I was a bit sad, or even almost outraged - Such a rich world, and no sequels? Instead, a trilogy entirely separate? What a waste!

Then I started Mistborn, and completely forgot any half-complaints I might have had about Elantris being a stand alone novel. I wasn't able to put either of the novels down, and I just finished The Well of Ascension about an hour ago.

Now I'm about to start on Warbreaker, and begin twiddling my thumbs until this October.