Author Topic: How did you find out about Brandon Sanderson?  (Read 52098 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: How did you find out about Brandon Sanderson?
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2007, 11:41:20 PM »
I'm the most beloved figure on this forum, I tend to ban those that don't love me.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2007, 11:53:46 PM »
I think Bruce Campbell is cool, does that count?
~금강산도 식후경~

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2007, 12:03:11 AM »
Since we're the same person (in my mind) yes it does.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Daarian

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2007, 12:07:54 AM »
I just wanted to say that i think everyone here are fun entertaining people and the more I browse around the more I sense that Mr. Sanderson was definitely the right choice for the next WoT novel. I look forward to hanging out here a good bit.

Now back off to reading Warbreaker
""Don't talk to me about nobleman," Vin said. "And don't say things about people you don't know.  You're no skaa-- you're just nobleman without titles." - Quote from Mistborn

foodkid95

• Level 1
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2007, 04:32:01 PM »
Hi everyone,

Infrequent lurker here, but a big fan of Brandon's work.  I had to come and check out the Wheel of Time chatter on here.  I was recommended Elantris by a co-worker probably about 2 years ago.  Apparently he knows someone who knows Brandon, or something like that.  (I no longer work with him, or I'd find out more details)

Anyway, he said Brandon was a local guy (I'm in the Provo UT area) who was new on the Fantasy scene and his debut was excellent.  So I found a copy of Elantris, and I devoured it in 2 days (this is REALLY fast for me).  Needless to say, since then I've bought copies and read all of his available stuff and can be numbered among the masses of rabid Brandon groupies :) .  I even met him at a local signing and got my Mistborn and Elantris signed.  I still need to stalk find him at a local event and get my Mistborn 2 autographed....

And many congrats on landing the WoT deal, Brandon!  I started the series years ago and liked it a lot, but quit because waiting for the next book got really old.  Now that it's finally almost done, I'll probably start re-reading the series in a year or so and be ready for the final volume when it comes out.

Brenna

• Level 14
  • Hey! Where'd the world go?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2007, 05:02:36 PM »
I was on the staff of Leading Edge with Brandon and I was in a writing group with him for a long time.

Jelly_Belly

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Jelly Belly's blog
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2007, 05:17:57 PM »
I remember him being  a guy in my Sci-fi and Fantasy lit class trying to get people to go to a con (I think world con) in California to share costs of travel and hotel rooms. Then, when I was working at Leading Edge, I found out he had had a book published, Elantris, so I read it and was very impressed. I was an editor for the 50th issue of Leading Edge and asked Brandon to write a short story for it (which was very good and I recommend to anyone).

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2007, 05:40:46 PM »
I'm the brother of Pink Bunkadoo above, so I met Brandon at my wedding. (...Wait, let's start over...)

Brandon and I were editors together at the Leading Edge magazine at BYU (and sat around the table together for a couple years before that). We didn't interact much outside of TLE until at least my second year there, because I'm not a very social person. Though I had a job at a computer lab, and several times I let everyone in at night for Starcraft LAN parties. (That was a bunch of fun.) Then I started going to Brandon and Fell and Tage's writing group, where Brandon was just starting a little book called Dragonsteel, after having recently finished going through a little book called Elantris (which I didn't read until a couple years later). I originally wanted to be a writer as well, but the editorial bug bit me at TLE, so I went into that instead. Three years in a row Brandon and Fell and I went to World Fantasy Con, where I was their in with editors, since the theory was that editors would be happier to open up to people who want to be editors than they would to another annoying writer pestering them. I was there for that fateful night in Montreal where we tracked down Moshe Feder and cornered him for two hours at the launch party of some e-publishing thing (which folded a year later), letting him tell us about all the cool stuff he was working on (Moshe is a fun and talkative guy, so this was no chore at all for either side). This resulted in Brandon and Fell both sending him books, which he got around to reading much later—Elantris and Blacker Darkness. (Though Blacker Darkness didn't get picked up, alas.) —Oh, and also, because of these conventions, I ended up owing Brandon $200 for over two years, which he never ever bugged me about (err...don't go asking him for money now). I think it was when I finally got a job teaching English in Japan that I at last sent him the money, and it wasn't long after that that I finally got an editing job (at TOKYOPOP).
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

apbadd

• Level 3
  • Rejected as a Mistborn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2007, 06:17:38 PM »
First found out the guy existed yesterday.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2007, 06:52:55 PM »
I've known Brandon for years and years, and I'm one of maybe four people (Ookla is also in this elite group) who's shared a bed with him. He hates it when I share that bit of trivia, and he especially hates it when I don't explain it.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2007, 07:02:39 PM »
(Ookla is also in this elite group)
Around Christmas, references like this get tougher to understand.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Insomnius

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2007, 07:06:07 PM »
First found out the guy existed yesterday.

Me too. Was perusing my favorite Wheel of Time site and found out some amazing news - that the series would be completed by some guy named Brandon.

Then I went to the site, downloaded and read Warbreaker.

Now it's Mr. Sanderson :D

Great read by the way there Brandon!

Goradel

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2007, 07:54:47 PM »
I don’t remember the first time I met Brandon, but I do remember the first good conversation we had.   It was on a hiking trip to MOAB, Utah in 104 degree temperature.  (Yes Brandon spent the night in a tent and didn’t have a computer/internet for more than two days). 
I'm famous

pengwenn

• Level 4
  • Is this my reality or yours?
    • View Profile
    • Life of a Gamer Girl
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2007, 08:28:10 PM »
After Elantris came out it was our book club selection on Wordtrip (a writing website I'm a moderator on) and our site admin raved about the book so I read it and loved it.  I met Brandon at LTUE once, briefly, but got the chance to interview him for our podcast It's the Story, Stupid during CONduit this past summer.  Mistborn:  The Final Empire was also a book club selection.

kaimipono

• Level 2
  • Hail the victorious dead.
    • View Profile
    • Times and Seasons
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2007, 09:32:21 PM »
I first read about Brandon Sanderson on Eric James Stone's blog, a year or two ago.  Eric's enthusiastic review led me to read Elantris, which led to Mistborn, and then Warbreaker. 

Later, I had a conversation over dinner with John Scalzi (really!) and some mutual friends, where Brandon's name came up.  Scalzi politely noted that Brandon was the world's only recipient of the Scalzi award.  And then we discussed whether or not snorting one's relatives' ashes is a form of cannibalism. 

Later, I got to interview Brandon for a blog. 

And now, I guess I'm going to have to pick up the post-Path of Daggers books in WoT and catch up, since the series is actually going to end.  I had all but given up on it. 

I'm sure that's pretty much what Tor had in mind when they hired Brandon:  Bringing aboard those uncounted legions of rabid Brandon fans to buy books from this Jordan fellow. 

In hardcover, of course. 
A man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest.