Author Topic: Brandon To Write Wheel of Time Book 12  (Read 111449 times)

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
Re: Brandon To Write Wheel of Time Book 12
« Reply #270 on: February 12, 2009, 10:45:42 PM »
and what about the older generation? Do we not have a right to get worked up when a child is disrespectful and attempts to lecture?
I never mentioned ANY generation in particular. I just said 'ANY child.'

Regardless of age, when a person is right and has a point I think they should feel free to give a "lecture". Age is nothing but a number if you want respect you have to earn it. When you talk down to someone because of their age and don't be shocked when they toss it back in your face...
Thank you, Madness. You capture my feelings perfectly.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Wolfstar

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 13, 2009, 05:23:20 AM »
Great find there, CM.  I'll have to read through that more when I've got time.

And that reminds me of a jewel I found about a year ago... if I can find it again...

Ah, well, it looks like it's gone now.  I had found a fan-made audio play of the first prologue, and it was amazing.  However, it's no longer hosted from where I had found it.

Lame.  I'll see if I can find it again somewhere else and share.
You can think without acting and you can act without thinking... but which is worse?

dfchang

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 28, 2009, 07:18:05 AM »
I think reading between the lines, there is absolutely no doubt that the first half of Memory of Light will be published first and this  year.

Brandon has gone on record stating that the final completed volume will probably check in at around 700,000 words or so.  That will place it at 175% on the progress bar.

Obviously, it is impossible to publish a 700,000 word book on many levels.  A split is going to be mandatory no matter what.

At this point, the BEST thing to do is to probably continue writing, revising, working, polishing until the WHOLE books is finished and then it can be released either as a 2 volume book or published at 6 month intervals . . . whatever Tor and Harriet decides is best both to honor Jordan's wishes and legacy and also what makes financial sense in what is one of the worst recessions in our lifetimes.

This way, if Brandon or Harriet feels the need to either revise or rewrite earlier parts of aMoL, they can do so easily.

Unfortunately, I'm now sure this will NOT be done.

Right now, Brandon is quite obviously spending ALL his time working on edits for the first 400,000 or so words of aMoL and has in fact confirmed that is what Harriet wants him to do.  All of this work should be done by April.  Why the hurry?  And why the focus now on those edits?  The obvious conclusion is that a decision has been made to get the first half of the book ready to go and release this year.  If the line edits are done and the manuscript sent off to the publisher, we can conceivably see volume one of A Memory of Light in bookshelves by September of 2009.  It can CONCEIVABLY to be done to push manuscript into publication in THREE months but this usually turns out poorly with multiple grammar and spelling errors as well as name switches and errors as well.  This had been done before with Lord of Chaos and a few subsequent Wheel of Time books with poor results.  In fact, the decision was made with the last few to "slow it down" and take the full 6 months for better proofing with noticeably better quality.

From April/May on, Brandon can then work on the last 250,000 to 300,000 words of aMoL and probably have the manuscript ready by December 2009 or January 2010 with publication in summer of 2010.

This makes sense on MULTIPLE levels.  The economy is bad and book publishers have been hit as hard if not harder than any other business in America right now.  Publishing a GARGANTUAN book in two volumes with the necessary slipcases would cost a great deal.  It would also be intimidating and unwieldy.  Despite Jordan's proclamations of Tor needing to invent "new binding" common sense has to somehow prevail here. 

In addition, it makes sense to introduce Robert Jordan and keep him in the limelight and in the hearts and minds of the fans.  You don't want to pull a George RR Martin and make people wait 5 years between books.  The readers are fickle and may move on.

This is the concluding volume of what is the greatest epic fantasy of our generation and one that will not be matched in length and scope for many decades . . . perhaps generations.  A release in 2009 would generate an instant New York Times #1 bestseller which would benefit Tor tremendously.  Momentum could then be built up for Volume 2  which should be another #1.  There would be about 6-8 months between Volumes which is perfect.

Jordan-Con is April 17th to 19th.  Tom Doherty of Tor books will be in attendance and I think this event would be a natural and obvious time to announce the completion of the first half of the manuscript with a publication date.  Would be great either as an opening or closing announcement to really make the Con special.

No concrete evidence and I have NO insider information but I think reading between the lines and applying a little logic and reasoning shows this to be the most likely course of action.

I don't really agree with it because even though I appreciate the reasons for doing it, I think it really takes a lot of creative flexibility away from Harriet and Brandon.  But it could very well be that Tor REALLY needs a #1 this year in today's economy and there could be some other big deals (like movie and T.V. options) that hang in the balance and would undoubtedly be helped by a big splash.  A Memory of Light is literally a once in a lifetime lottery ticket for the publishers and they want to make the most of it.  Also, the story of A Memory of Light could already to so well planned and locked in that complete rewrites and edits are extremely unlikely.  It looks like Jordan had essentially planned the entire novel, chapter by chapter, viewpoint by viewpoint in a very precise order and Brandon is merely filling in the blanks, rewriting some parts, and integrating everthing into a whole.  If that's the case, it may very well be feasible to release the first half of the book with no serious repercussions on the second half.

For better or worse, I think we're going to get part of A Memory of Light in 2009 . . .

Thoughts?

Dennis

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 28, 2009, 07:50:14 AM »
I have no firsthand knowledge either, but I believe your analysis is spot-on [EDIT: Though I do agree with the post below]. Brandon really did originally want to have the whole thing finished and out Octoberish, or barring that a split volumes October and November release, but the realities of the situation have forced a more pragmatic result. A couple months ago he was saying it would be more like an October/November and March release, but I think revisions are going to push the second volume back to summer 2010 as you say.

I'm also fairly certain that the first half will get its own name. And it would not surprise me if the whole thing got above 800,000 words—I am guessing that the types of revisions Harriet is asking for are adding to the word count.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 12:04:22 AM by Ookla The Mok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Vatdoro

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 02, 2009, 09:24:58 PM »
dfchang - I think you are correct. I always check Brandon's site before coming here to check on the forums. Based on the new progress bar and Brandon's latest update, I came to the same conclusion you did on the time frame.

This is the only part that I don't 100% agree with you on:
Also, the story of A Memory of Light could already to so well planned and locked in that complete rewrites and edits are extremely unlikely.  It looks like Jordan had essentially planned the entire novel, chapter by chapter, viewpoint by viewpoint in a very precise order and Brandon is merely filling in the blanks, rewriting some parts, and integrating everthing into a whole.  If that's the case, it may very well be feasible to release the first half of the book with no serious repercussions on the second half.

From what I understand, Jordan had a general outline for AMOL, but I don't think he had it "chapter by chapter, viewpoint by viewpoint in a very precise order". Brandon has mentioned some sections of the book were well outlined, and some sections were already written, but a lot of the chapters are all up to Brandon to figure out with little (if any) outline or instructions.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 09:27:34 PM by Vatdoro »

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 02, 2009, 10:56:00 PM »
I second what Vatdoro said.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

IngtarWhoStoleChristmas

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 03, 2009, 04:30:27 PM »
Obviously, it is impossible to publish a 700,000 word book on many levels.  A split is going to be mandatory no matter what.

Not impossible, I've got a bible with archeological hisotories that stretches well beyond the size of any WoT book. (think it's about 2000 pages total). Of course the type is very small and reading for more than about an hour will make you go blind ;-) I'd much rather see a "normal" book and soon!

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 03, 2009, 10:58:06 PM »
Small-texted books can be a pain sometimes.…
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #278 on: April 01, 2009, 01:22:39 PM »
250K is just about the time I'm looking for the third major plot twist.  If a book ended at that point it would be rather unsatisfying.  On the other hand 700K is a little long.  But we're looking at this a bit too clinically I think.  Mr. Sanderson has pointed out in several posts that much of the current word volume is due to a lengthy prologue.  Is it really best to count forematter against the book's word count?  I read all the forewards/prologues but they are just the teaser to establish the context for the books which really in this case will begin with EUOL's original material in chapter one.  We're all just blowing off steam because of the anxiety over whether the series will end with a triumph or a whimper.

But really unless the prologue could reasonably be divided the results of splitting Memory would be ugly and require even longer delays not to mention encroaching on the precious real estate of text written by Rigney.  More text would be required to smooth the ending of Memory, a new title selected for the last book, hate mail answered from desperate fans and tinkering to smooth the opening of Book 13 (to be named whenever).  Not a pleasant thought.  An extra odd millions of dollars for TOR of course but messy and potentially disastrous.
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

sporkify

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 23, 2009, 10:03:23 AM »
Am I the only one amused by the fact that
A. There is an anti-gay-marriage commercial with a gathering storm featured heavily in it,
B. Book 12 is called The Gathering Storm, and
C. Pillow friends?
Gorram Frakking Woolhead!

IngtarWhoStoleChristmas

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: April 23, 2009, 03:24:37 PM »
A. There is an anti-gay-marriage commercial with a gathering storm featured heavily in it,
C. Pillow friends?

Wow, nice reach

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 23, 2009, 04:35:13 PM »
C. Pillow friends?

Yes.
Nature hates being reified.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 23, 2009, 10:52:32 PM »
Wtf 'pillow friends?' ??
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #283 on: April 24, 2009, 02:41:47 AM »
Pillow friends, are a normative lesbian arrangement that Rigney included among the recruits to the White Tower.
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 24, 2009, 02:42:16 AM »
Oh… :-[ hehe that makes sense. Kind of.  :-X
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.