Author Topic: Brandon To Write Wheel of Time Book 12  (Read 111465 times)

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Brandon To Write Wheel of Time Book 12
« Reply #195 on: October 31, 2008, 12:12:19 PM »
And all this after I tried to steer the conversation back towards the original topic ;)

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
  • Boy Genius - Grown Up... Kinda.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 02, 2008, 06:50:56 AM »
DUDE! I met Brandon today at a signing, and I have to say, he's pretty awesome. He looks a bit worn down, but I imagine that's just the tour taking it's toll on him.

Up until now, I've had a small bit of me that's been a little anxious about anybody but RJ finishing the book, even despite having read all of Sanderson's works and loving them. Today I shook hands with the Heir of the Creator, and I must say, that anxiety has evaporated like a mist in the morning sun.
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

RIP: James Oliver Rigney, Jr.

spejoku

• Level 3
  • Insanity isn't all that bad really.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 05, 2008, 03:43:43 AM »
You know, I never even started reading WoT until after I heard that Brandon was doing the last one.  Now I'm on #4 and loving them.  Although I wish the ones I got had cooler covers.  Perhaps the ying-yang aes sedai symbol and a solid background. 

Anyhow, I really like it that we never realize the full potential of the magic, or even exactly how it works, until we piece the info together. 

Also, Nynaeve can make your head explode  ;D
Tacos: the food of choice for awesome people

Casco

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 08, 2008, 02:48:58 PM »
Well, the covers of the books leaves alot to wish for. Looks like children books imo.
The only one with a good cover is the prologue book, the beginning.

The covers alone did make me not reading WOT for a long time :( I allways though they where as bad as the covers...what a mistake!

Wolfstar

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 13, 2008, 04:02:50 AM »
Hah, wow, I've always thought that the covers were pretty cool, if not overly detailed and somewhat distracting.  Too each his own, I suppose.
You can think without acting and you can act without thinking... but which is worse?

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 13, 2008, 05:55:15 PM »
I agree with you. I thought the covers were cool also. I mean I didnt ever relate the characters to thier obvious representations on the covers but I didnt really have to. They displaey enough of the story to be nice to look at and not enough to be upset about. If you have any idea what I mean.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #201 on: November 18, 2008, 05:25:37 AM »
Well, now that I've purchased all eleven of the WoT books and I'm looking at their covers, I'm not a huge fan of them. They just don't seem to carry much style, instead trying to look realistic (I guess?). They seem dull and boring, in my opinion.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

DrakeSparda

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 18, 2008, 06:13:40 PM »
My main thing against the covers is that is hard to tell who is who on them, and changing appearances.  Mostly since the characters on the covers don't really wear what they are depicted wearing in the covers.  Like EoTW, Lan is wearing armor, instead of his Warder cloak.  Also, on TGH, I think the dwarf looking thing is supposed to Loial, looks like he's 4 feet tall, when infact is huge.  I think Rand, Perrin and Mat change appearances on the covers more then they switch clothes in all the books combined.

However, I do like the covers.  The provide some insight into what happens in the book.  However, if you are not familiar with the book's story, you'd have no idea what that is, with maybe the exception of Dragon Reborn, with the Callandor scene.

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 21, 2008, 11:41:05 PM »
My main thing against the covers is that is hard to tell who is who on them, and changing appearances.  Mostly since the characters on the covers don't really wear what they are depicted wearing in the covers.  Like EoTW, Lan is wearing armor, instead of his Warder cloak.  Also, on TGH, I think the dwarf looking thing is supposed to Loial, looks like he's 4 feet tall, when infact is huge.  I think Rand, Perrin and Mat change appearances on the covers more then they switch clothes in all the books combined.

However, I do like the covers.  The provide some insight into what happens in the book.  However, if you are not familiar with the book's story, you'd have no idea what that is, with maybe the exception of Dragon Reborn, with the Callandor scene.

Yeah, I think one of my favorites is the cover of Dragon Reborn--just because it portrays the characters so well.  I don't know what the Shadow Rising's cover is.  That's really the only one I just don't understand.
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain

DrakeSparda

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 24, 2008, 04:36:31 PM »

Yeah, I think one of my favorites is the cover of Dragon Reborn--just because it portrays the characters so well.  I don't know what the Shadow Rising's cover is.  That's really the only one I just don't understand.

I believe tFoH is supposed to depict Rhuidean, and the trip through it.  ie, Rand seeing his visions and becomes The Chief of Chiefs, Egwene starting to become a Wise One, and Mat getting his signature Weapon, and Scar.

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 24, 2008, 06:03:54 PM »
I always thought that the artwork on the WoT books were...well....awful. Imo the pictures never matched the character descriptions. Rand and Perrin were the ones to stand out the most. Perrin is described as broad shouldered, muscular, and generally a large man but he looks nothing like that on the covers and Rand just looks horrendous...Sorry to tear down the covers but I have always been dissapointed by the covers....Anyways who really cares considering the quality of writing inside those covers. ;D
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

Vatdoro

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 26, 2008, 11:25:41 PM »
I just read Brandon's latest blog post about his progress on AMoL. Reading that post has gotten me excited all over again to finally read the ending of WoT. I think it's awesome that Brandon keeps us all so well informed about the status of his many different projects. What other author does that? No one. I mean, if you're waiting for the next Song of Ice & Fire book (like I am) you probably know that GRRM hasn't updated the status of A Dance with Dragons for almost a year!

I have REALLY enjoyed Elantris and the Mistborn trilogy. I've already said how excited I am to finally have WoT finished, but I might be even MORE excited (if that's possible) that Brandon is getting the practice and experience of writing a huge novel in the WoT universe. Brandon is going to take the considerable talent he already has, add to that the lessons he'll learn from writing in such a complex and descriptive world as WoT, and I just get giddy thinking about the kinds of books we might get from him in a few years.

:D - Me being giddy!

Roberts

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 08, 2008, 02:54:24 AM »
(I like the covers, except for the fact that they keep changing the characters' appearances. Book 1 and 5 are the best, in my opinion.)

Would elevators and electricity work in the World of Dreams?

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 09, 2008, 11:47:52 PM »

Would elevators and electricity work in the World of Dreams?

I was under the impression you could just think something up and it would work a certain way, without really needing a rationale for why it works.

ex: "I want to stand on this circular platform and it will hover in the air." No need for electricity, pulleys, shafts etc.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Dount Cooku

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 10, 2008, 06:07:24 PM »
Brandon posted a blog entry detailing his latest progress with AMoL.  Check it out at http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog/736/Reader-Mail--Annotation.