Author Topic: Official Fan Art Thread **Don't create new threads**  (Read 223994 times)

Wolfstar

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Official Fan Art Thread **Don't create new threads**
« Reply #465 on: March 10, 2009, 01:13:31 AM »
Very solid work for only 5 hours!  I have paintings from class in high school that I spent literally 4 times that length of time on and they came out far, far worse (and sadly, this was before Mistborn or even Wheel of Time came into my life, so none of them came from those works).
You can think without acting and you can act without thinking... but which is worse?

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: March 10, 2009, 01:22:02 AM »
I know I sound pretty critical but really that is amazing. I definitely can't do anything like that and would embarrass myself if I even tried. And your time constraints only make it more impressive.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

mking

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart page
« Reply #467 on: March 10, 2009, 06:14:59 AM »
Ryos: Thanks for that great quote! It really encapsulates what I wrestle with whenever I move on from one project to the next.

GreenMonsta: I appreciate your explanation of why the windows might look that way. But I have to admit that I rushed to finish and messed up on the perspective. Mea culpa. You are right that if I spent some more time on the painting I could work out many of the issues. For now I'll be happy that I mostly captured the mood I was after.

Reaves: I don't mind the critique--I think you're right about the perspective and I also wish my Vin were better. Thanks for using constructive language. It helps me figure out how to improve.

Wolfstar: I've been practicing for a long time, so the speed has gradually developed. Plus I read lots of tutorials on speed painting and pick up tricks and tips.  There was a stretch where I was playing an Amber RPG and my weekly contribution was a painting of either a character portrait or a scene from the game session. I think that more than anything taught me how to allot time to something and be forced to move on.

I think this painting ended up being about about 6 nights spread over 2 weeks where I got about 30 minutes in for the night. And then I got a 2 hour block to finish up on Sunday. Most of Sunday consisted of trying things and erasing them because they made the painting look worse than my original rough block in. Then I kind of rushed to the end and spewed out most of the foreground details like the windows and roof shingles. Believe me, after painting all those shingles and bricks, I was so ready to be done!

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: March 13, 2009, 10:58:13 PM »
Nicely done MKing.  I actually quite like Vin's "stiff" posture.  Since she is not actually "flying" like Superman but rather channeling straight lines of force on which she pushes and pulls like a pole-vaulter or someone on stilts it makes a lot of sense to me that she'd maintain a pretty stiff posture much of the time, for control's sake.

I like!
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

mking

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart page
« Reply #469 on: March 16, 2009, 04:45:15 AM »
Thanks, Skar!

I attempted a fix at the perspective on the windows. I also lightened the image a bit because it was really dark when I looked at it from work the other day.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: March 16, 2009, 04:39:31 PM »
It's looks great MKing.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: March 16, 2009, 05:34:52 PM »
mking,

I think Vin still looks a bit stiff.  The city, however, is stunning.
Nature hates being reified.

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: March 16, 2009, 07:17:53 PM »
I think Vin still looks a bit stiff.
Happy, I'm pretty sure mking only modified the painting around the windows, and by making it a little lighter. I don't think he changed Vin at all. :

I attempted a fix at the perspective on the windows. I also lightened the image a bit because it was really dark when I looked at it from work the other day.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #473 on: March 16, 2009, 08:56:21 PM »
That's pretty impressive, mking! Definitely keep it up!

Remember that one of the awesome advantages to digital work (I presume this is digital painting?) is that you can lay over corrections and sketch Layers to help yourself out when you run up against a difficult aspect. So for instance, when perspective is giving you a hassle, throw down a new Layer and put those VP guides on it, then turn off the guide Layers when you're done. Remember that your assistance Layers like VP guides and sketches are in no way restricted by the needs of final printing, so the lines can be in whatever color helps you best (I like blue and red myself).

And when you sketch, nobody needs to see it, so you can be as rough as you like. I often do what I call "scribbling with purpose", which is when I have an idea of what shape something should be, but rather than trying to get it right the first time I "zero in" by laying down as many line as it takes until I get the one that defines the contour I was looking for. That's the one I use when drawing the clean edge, but the others were just as important in finding it.

Other than that, my only crit would be that I imagine Luthadel with more towers and smokestacks (from the factories and canneries). I think of it as more Victorian than Medieval, but I don't have any particularly good excuse for that aside from the impression that stuck with me after I'd finished the novels.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: March 16, 2009, 09:34:56 PM »
I think Vin still looks a bit stiff.
Happy, I'm pretty sure mking only modified the painting around the windows, and by making it a little lighter. I don't think he changed Vin at all. :

Well, she actually looked better to me this time around.  Maybe the lighting changed things.  Anyway, good job!  Keep up the good work!
Nature hates being reified.

mking

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart page
« Reply #475 on: March 18, 2009, 07:30:27 PM »
Right, I didn't touch Vin's pose this time around. Maybe when I have more time.

Thanks, Inkthinker! I definitely used some layers with perspective guides to help. I rushed too much near the end, so I wasn't as careful as I could have been in making sure everything was lining up. I wrestled quite a bit with trying to stay loose and my tendency to start noodling on details before the whole piece is working.

I also imagine Luthadel as a Victorian city. I used reference pictures of London and from the Mary Poppins movie.  I got tired of drawing chimneys, bricks, and roof tiles, so I skimped out on the rest of the city skyline. :-) I also wanted to have the big towers looming over all the rest of the buildings and make them stand out. So I tried to keep the rest of the skyline from feeling too cluttered.

V for Vendetta

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: April 01, 2009, 01:30:46 AM »
Hey! If any of you have a facebook page, then join my Mistborn Fan Page. I have compiled a bunch of the best Fan Art I could find, along with a couple other things. If you don't have a facebook page, then make one!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=49771996482
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant and vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified!

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: April 01, 2009, 01:41:09 AM »
Urg. I've tried several times to just start a rough pencil sketch of something mistborn-related, but it always turns out either A.) bad or B.) I change it until its no longer recognizable as something mistborn-related and instead came completely from my own head :P
I need to fix this...
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

john5cole

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: April 05, 2009, 03:18:43 PM »
Hi everyone. I'm new here and just wanted to post something that I did. Brandon actually just posted about this on his blog but I thought I would post it here too. It is a Mistborn Wallpaper I put together.

If you would like to download it or would like more info about it you can head over to my blog @ http://cruciald.com/blog

Hope you enjoy.

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: April 05, 2009, 03:29:58 PM »
That's great, john! I really like how you incorporated mist into the picture–it looks good!
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.