Author Topic: Official Fan Art Thread **Don't create new threads**  (Read 224038 times)

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
Re: Official Fan Art Thread **Don't create new threads**
« Reply #405 on: February 02, 2009, 03:23:12 AM »
Hey all.  Gotta say i love this thread.  You all inspire me to keep plugging away.  Nice work.

I finally finished another Mistborn pic.  This time I was a little more ambitious and learned a ton more in the process.  For your consideration:

Click to embiggen.

As always, I'd love to know what you think of it.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: February 02, 2009, 04:24:01 AM »
wow, nice! Great poses and great lighting, especially on the koloss musculature! That Inquisitor is intense!
However, I kinda feel like some of the textures could use a bit more...texture. Especially the skin looks a bit flat in places, but still its amazing.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: February 02, 2009, 05:00:45 AM »
Looks awesome, Skar! I'm not too sure about the lower-left corner's depth of field, though. The koloss's head is in front of the inq but his shoulder is behind his feet? The legs look like they might be at an odd angle to create that effect but I'm not sure it's working. His top half is uniform in the way it faces and that part of him doesn't look like he's twisting.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

happyman

• Level 17
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: February 02, 2009, 05:08:17 PM »
I don't know about everybody else, but my main issue is that on my machine at least, it's too dark.  I mean, clearly we want a picture like this to be dark, but I had trouble making out what it was at first.

Of course, the internet being what it is, this may not be your fault.
Nature hates being reified.

Vatdoro

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: February 02, 2009, 05:17:29 PM »
Skar - that is awesome! Thanks for sharing that!

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: February 02, 2009, 05:43:59 PM »
Reaves: Yeah, I can only agree, needs more texture. Not sure how to go about it, but I'll figure it out eventually.  So much to learn!

Ookla:  Good eye on the head versus feet thing.  You're right. I think a layer got misplaced, I'll have to check.

happyman: Yeah, I opened it at work and it was way darker than on my home machine.  Looks like I'll have to fiddle with that monitor.

Vatdoro:  Thanks, man!
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: February 02, 2009, 10:45:47 PM »
I love how you did the rips in the koloss' skin!!! It's really, really good!!!
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: February 02, 2009, 11:02:04 PM »
For the record, better monitor=Wow, I am seriously impressed.  The apocalyptic feel is almost tangible.
Nature hates being reified.

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: February 02, 2009, 11:19:13 PM »
Thanks for all your comments.  They're all really encouraging and I really appreciate it.

-Fellfrosch

mking

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart page
« Reply #414 on: February 03, 2009, 08:06:44 AM »
Hi, Skar. Cool painting! The inquisitor creeps me out.

Here are a few texturing techniques that I use that you might also find useful.
  • hard edged brush - use less opacity and multiple strokes to blend colors or for shading rather than using soft edged brushes
  • some tighter highlights in key places might provide some contrast and make the skin feel more textured
  • a grunge layer lightly applied using soft light or overlay blending modes can help get away from the computery feel of digital painting. I find that I tend to be too heavy handed with it.
  • a spackle texture brush can be useful to add blemishes or other imperfections to the skin. also useful for pores or broken up highlights.

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: February 03, 2009, 06:00:17 PM »
Thanks Mking!  I can't wait to try those out.

-Fellfrosch

Dark Blue

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: February 03, 2009, 07:36:19 PM »
That is really impressive Skar; your use of dark colors is great! The only thing I would change (I know some of you already mentioned this . . .) is the texture, it would make it more real to me. Also is that the Ashmounts in the back? I like the surrounding background, very ominous.  I, for one, can't use dark colors in my sketches since I get a feeling it's TOO dark, but you did excellent.

DB
Memorable Quotes:

"It is a sin to think words no others think and to put them down upon a paper no others are to see. It is base and evil. It is as if we were speaking alone to no ears but our own. And we know well that  there is no transgression blacker than to do or think alone." -Anthem

deathgate

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: February 05, 2009, 03:53:47 AM »
Great work as always Skar. Your work raises the bar for everyone else and their are others with good work hear too. Would love to see your take of Sazed.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #418 on: February 10, 2009, 08:48:46 AM »
Hey everyone, sorry I haven't been able to participate in the community much lately, but I haven't forgotten you guys.

I was working on some stuff that involved using a skull illustration as a template, and I took a little time to do a couple extra heads based on my favorite blue beasties:

Busted out pretty quick on the colors, but I like 'em well enough to post. If you don't care for 'em, you can check out the plain linework here.

I think I didn't quite get 'em right the last time I drew 'em, but I'm taking a new tack. I think before I made the mistake of treating the immature koloss as appearing too "fat" rather than appearing like an abnormally muscular man in a sack of skin that doesn't quite fit, and isn't properly attached to the muscles underneath. Hopefully I've gotten a little closer this time, 'cause this is much creepier (I think).

As always, I enjoy any and all feedback.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 08:50:29 AM by Inkthinker »

Hero of Ages

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: February 10, 2009, 05:59:51 PM »
HolyCrap!!!  That is exactly how I see the Koloss in my mind.  GET OUTTA MY HEAD!!!!!!!!!
I must not fear;
Fear is the mind killer;
I will face my fear;
I will let it pass through me;
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing;
Only I will remain.
-Paul Muad'dib Atreides-

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself.
-Me-