Author Topic: Official Fan Art Thread **Don't create new threads**  (Read 224063 times)

mking

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart page
Re: Official Fan Art Thread **Don't create new threads**
« Reply #360 on: November 18, 2008, 09:37:43 AM »
Wow, thanks for all the kind words! I hope to find more time to paint this week, but work is getting pretty crazy (the speedpainting may have to get speedier). I'm thinking about doing another character piece, just to take another crack at drawing a face. I'm still disappointed at how Kelsier's likeness worked out, so I've been picking my work apart trying to figure out what to do differently on the next character.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: November 18, 2008, 08:58:42 PM »
Those are amazing MKing.  That really is all there is to say about them.  I would definitely like to see more.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #362 on: November 19, 2008, 08:17:49 PM »
MKing, those PS painting are gorgeous. You have inspired me to try my hand at a mistborn drawing.
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #363 on: November 24, 2008, 05:42:01 AM »
Uhh... I freehanded this on my friend's face on Halloween morning. He wasn't willing to shave off his hairs, though, so I apologize for slight inaccuracies plot-wise. (Does this even count as fan art? I'm too lazy to create a thread for fan anti-art, so you'd better make room. Or I will cry.)

Full size here: Unedited 7-megapixel jpeg

Midsize available on the deviation page (deviantArt): Obligator SEM

I am aware that mking puts my work to shame, but I just wanted to share. If I ever get around to taking pictures of my mistcloak, I'll upload them as well.
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: November 24, 2008, 05:48:15 AM »
*shrug* This is where I've been posting my cos-plays, so I think it counts.

And those are pretty cool looking.  I'd love to see your mistcloak.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #365 on: November 24, 2008, 10:37:13 AM »
Pretty neat tats there sortitus.  :)

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: November 25, 2008, 11:48:21 PM »
mking, that's flipping amazing.

BTW, if you're having trouble drawing Kels face, perhaps painting him from behind, looking over the wall of Luthadel would do.  I have a really bad sketch of one of my characters from behind and I think it looks pretty cool.  (He doesn't have a Mistcloak, though...)
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain

mking

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart page
« Reply #367 on: December 01, 2008, 12:58:06 AM »
I enjoy seeing everyone's art, costumes, tattoos -- you name it. We've all been inspired by the characters, settings, and stories enough to want to create something. I think it's really cool to see all the different ways to express ourselves.

Ok. Here's a painting of Vin that I knocked out in a couple of hours. Actually I probably spent more like 10 hours total, but I scrapped almost the entire thing because it was getting overworked and Vin was starting to look too old and too much like a man. Sigh. Sometimes paintings can get away from me and I get lost in the details instead of looking at the overall image.

Anyway, so I basically started over after lunch today and laid down a much stronger foundation. In order to save some time, I cheated and re-used my Luthadel painting for the background. This originally started as a picture of Vin in her white gown from the ball at Keep Lekal from the first book. I originally had a simple colored background, but then I decided to put her high above the city to make it a little more dramatic.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: December 01, 2008, 03:05:58 AM »
Amazing as usual! The face is great, although something about the neck and back proportions seems off.

And yes the placement of her above the city is very dramatic.

your work is just. so. beautiful.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

mking

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart page
« Reply #369 on: December 01, 2008, 03:41:38 AM »
Thanks. You know, the more I look at it, the more her head looks too big for her body.

Doh.

Yet another thing to watch out for on the next painting.

Amazing as usual! The face is great, although something about the neck and back proportions seems off.

melbatoast

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • My Shelfari Page
« Reply #370 on: December 01, 2008, 03:43:35 AM »
Gorgeous! I think the background works really well. I like how you included the infamous earring.
"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." - Louisa May Alcott

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: December 01, 2008, 04:59:08 AM »
Wow, that's amazing.  I think you pretty much captured the way I pictured Vin.  I would just make the earing a bit bigger, and a bit more bronze in color.  (Just my two cents)
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: December 01, 2008, 08:29:50 PM »
mking get out of my head. Not only did you capture Luthandel exactly as I picyured it but now you have done the same with Vin. Really well done. I agree thet her head is slightly too large but over all this is a great painting.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Shadowkiller

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: December 01, 2008, 10:07:29 PM »
Amazing picture.   The face looks recognizable though and it took me a bit to figure out who it reminds me of.   Ashley Judd.   Unfortunately Ashley's eyebrows are a bit bigger and she tends to smile a heck of a lot so its hard to get a good comparitive.   Here is one of my more favorites that I did find.   The angle is just about right too.

http://imstars.aufeminin.com/stars/fan/ashley-judd/ashley-judd-20040429-1646.jpg

Vatdoro

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: December 02, 2008, 01:02:47 AM »
I don't think her head is too big at all. I think her body/back is just a little bit too small.  ;)

Shadowkiller - you are right. There is definitely a resemblance to that picture of Ashley Judd. Now that the association is in my head it will probably stick. I wouldn't be surprised if I think of a grown up Vin every time I see Ashley Judd from now on.  ;D