Author Topic: Official Fan Art Thread **Don't create new threads**  (Read 224019 times)

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
Re: Official Fan Art Thread **Don't create new threads**
« Reply #330 on: November 13, 2008, 05:44:39 PM »
...well, shouldn't the fan art section be an actual page on the site instead of a forum thread? That would be easier to navigate, and one could still comment....

That would be the ideal, but it involves actual *work* and that's a four-letter-word to Spriggan  ;)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 05:47:07 PM by ThankfulNess »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: November 13, 2008, 05:53:21 PM »
I have to say that I don't really go to the main page all that often. I spend most of my time in the forums. I understand that it may be easier to navigate but the way the conversation goes in this thread it would be sad to see it go.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: November 13, 2008, 07:47:28 PM »
Candy, come back, you didn't leave any art before you left....darn it. Missed by { } that much. ;)

I personally love having this thread, however, I do understand how a long and involved thread such as this can be a pain in the hind parts to navigate. I visit more than one forum that refuses to restart an extremely long thread for the sake of readability.  I'm not sure how we should go about that here though, whether we make a new one, or petition Sprig for a front page place to look at works with a link to discussion for them, such as this. Or if something like that would even work....I'm not very computer savvy. But, whatever decides to be done with it, I will seek it out and look at it, as this is one of my favorite places to browse. :)

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: November 13, 2008, 08:14:54 PM »
Yes, welcome candylion.  I hope you can post some work.  I'd love to see your take on Vin's mistborn custom dresses.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: November 13, 2008, 08:48:17 PM »
Ah, but when threads get too long they get somewhat difficult to navigate.
I don't see this at all... Yes, you can only navigate to 5 pages at a time, but it's not like you know which page to look on in the first place and it's very easy to jump to the latest post. Are you saying threads should be no more than 5 pages?

FRR: Did you see candylion's art at the beginning of this thread?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 08:51:17 PM by Mok Apple Pie »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: November 13, 2008, 09:36:45 PM »
Yeah.  I'm talking the dresses discussed in WoA and HoA.  The ones that are slightly different from the standard dress like the one she drew at the beginning.

Also, here's a couple of pictures of the costume I made for the HoA release party.  I finally found my phone-t0-computer connector cord, so I was able to get them.  (I can't wait for the better quality (read: taken with a real camera) pictures.  But someone else took those.  *shrug*)  I wore this both to the release, and for halloween.  (And even though I live in Provo/Orem no one reconized me.  It made me kind of sad.)

« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 05:43:40 AM by firstRainbowRose »
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Soryn

• Level 3
  • hey hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: November 14, 2008, 06:10:47 AM »
That's an awesome costume FRR! C:
Did you make the daggers yourself?

--

While reading HoA I ended up doing some sketches of Vin - nothing spectacular, but I went and colored one quickly to help get me out of a slump.

syrenyx

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: November 14, 2008, 06:20:18 AM »
woah FRR!  that mistcloak is awesome! great job.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: November 14, 2008, 06:24:53 AM »
I think your pic is totally cute Soryn!  I really like your mistcloak.

And I kind of did but I didn't.  They're actually five buck plastic ones that I bought at wal-mart, spray painted black (they were originally this silver and black) and then I glued the leather straps on like the night before the release party.  (And they were still sticky the next day.  Made for some fun reactions when people touched them.)

Thanks syrenyx.

melbatoast

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • My Shelfari Page
« Reply #339 on: November 14, 2008, 07:24:41 PM »
Cool mistcloak, firstRainbowRose!
"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." - Louisa May Alcott

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: November 14, 2008, 07:47:51 PM »
Mi`chelle the costume was MUCH better in person! ha ha.  I guess that's just cause I could see you move around in it and see the amazingness of the Mistcloak. . . I'm going to steel that BTW. xD

I remember finding the "Blue Line" for your coin. lol.

Oh and cute chibi Soryn.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: November 14, 2008, 07:51:16 PM »
I've done something that I'm guessing could be considered fan art.  I have this thing where when I use a new wallpaper on my computer I try to make EVERYTHING match.  (I change it so that's my background in MSN messenger.  I also change my font on messenger to something that fits the feel.)  Well, after reading HoA I of course put up a mb releated one, and created a cursor set to go with it.

The busy and working in the backgound spin.  If you want to download it, you can get it here
  Sorry about the DP.

Amazing Mi`chelle I lovez them.  I'm totally downloading them once I get home tonight. ha ha.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

candylion

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: November 15, 2008, 03:46:49 AM »
My problem is that I didn't bring any of my books with me here to Korea. So I'm stuck without descriptions. SO as soon as I get a hold of some copies (and the fact that I haven't read HoA yet) I'll definitely start hardcore on some fanart I've been dying to do.

Heck, I might just turn it into this gi-normous project not knowing what I'm going to end up with. If anyone could help me out with character descriptions, or commissions of what you want to see (with descriptions) I'd be really really thankful.

...except HoA, lol, Spoilers are not welcome. -gigglesnort-
IS TAKING COMMISSIONS!...I <3 any art so click on and send me a message. I'll probably draw it.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #343 on: November 15, 2008, 07:00:04 AM »
...well, shouldn't the fan art section be an actual page on the site instead of a forum thread? That would be easier to navigate, and one could still comment....

That would be the ideal, but it involves actual *work* and that's a four-letter-word to Spriggan  ;)

Hey now, I actually have asked for people to submit fan art to brandon's site on this thread and no one ever does.

Now would I ever make a gallery that allows comments for Fan art?  Probably not on TWG since it's not "The Brandon Sanderson Fan Site", nor do I see a reason for placing one on BS.com.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #344 on: November 15, 2008, 11:39:09 AM »
Yeah, part of the issue is that this site is not the same as Brandon's site; he simply gets his forum hosted here.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."