Author Topic: Official Fan Art Thread **Don't create new threads**  (Read 224030 times)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Re: Official Fan Art Thread **Don't create new threads**
« Reply #225 on: August 04, 2008, 05:12:45 AM »
Ok so unless you want to listen to someone be picky then don't read the bad ones.

Dress(bad):  There is so much more you could have done with it if you had been serious with it.  To make modifications to fit what the canon would not have cost that much or taken that much time, and we would have been fairly simply.  The dress needs to be more modest and have sleeves at LEAST.  Also this dress style/fabric/color does NOT go well with your complexion or body.

Dress(good):  Uhm. . . the train is a nice touch whereas it would have taken a LOT of work to make the dress heavy and flowing outward like canon.  So you did well in that regard.

Jewelery(bad): Uhm. . basically just completely unnecessary and distracting.  Something like the necklace would have been nice and the rings wouldn't be as bad if they were covered up with sleeves.

Sword(bad):  It's the total wrong type of sword.

Sword(good): It's black. . . so whatevs, props for trying.

Positioning(bad): Your position sucks all out.  You should have your legs turned at MUCH more of an angle especially considering the image you are trying to create and the style of the dress and the way it fits turning and leaning back more would have made a huge improvement.  Leaning back would have helped a lot, but you would have to be angled more first.

Positioning(good): Your head is turned at a good angle, but the body throws it off.

Area(bad): The random shadows in back are distracting. 

Area(good): A nice place for a picture like this.

Effects(bad): These were key to making or breaking. . . unfortunately you broke.  The 'breath' is WAY too rigid and looks like a feather mixed into a twig. . . . TOTALLY not believable.

Text(bad): The color should be harsher and less pastel.

Text(good): Love the font and the extra 'W'.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 04, 2008, 05:24:07 AM »
Yeah, it was mostly just me having fun.  I wasn't trying to actually match the cover at all... in fact, my whole idea behind the dress was to NOT match the one in the cover at all, but to match the one discribed in the book.

Still, thanks for the comments.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 18, 2008, 05:11:16 AM »
Wow Miyabi, you're pretty intent this art critiqueing thing, you should look into it for a career, I like your honesty as well.  You have such a good eye for porportion and texture it just makes me wonder... are you and artist as well?  If so, I'll be expecting some of your work up soon :).

OH and Inkthinker, keep posting, I love all your work to bits.  Please do some of Kelsier, or the Lord Ruler, or even Elend, I want MORE!!!  You have a gift guy, and I'm glad you're using it!
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 18, 2008, 07:39:04 AM »
I AM an artist actually.  I got accepted to a private art institute a while back but I can't afford $144,000 a year for college. ha ha. 

I will think of doing something.  I do a lot more abstract stuff than actual character art, but I'll get something out. ha ha.

I am my own worst critic so like I HATE my stuff if it isn't perfect.

My grandma actually stopped taking me to art shows because I critiqued everything to harshly.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #229 on: August 18, 2008, 01:48:00 PM »

OH and Inkthinker, keep posting, I love all your work to bits.  Please do some of Kelsier, or the Lord Ruler, or even Elend, I want MORE!!!  You have a gift guy, and I'm glad you're using it!

Thanks! I'll see what I can do, but for the time being I'm really busy and it's hard to say when I'll get around to doing anything else that's Mistborn-related. I'm sure I'll find incentive when the last book hits in a couple months, though.

:D

No worries guys, I'm sure you haven't seen the last of me.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 18, 2008, 03:55:41 PM »
So I started thinking up some concepts for a drawing of Kelsier. . . does anyone else imagine him as kinda like a red mage? (Like from FF.)  Every time I think of it I get this image of him dressed like that. o.0
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 24, 2008, 01:38:16 AM »
Just draw Miyabi, and as for the perfection thing, did you ever hear the concept behind Turkish Rugs?  Every Rug has a flaw in it, sometimes on purpose, because perfection is of the Divine, and thus making something perfect, is believed to be playing god.
So anyways, these mistakes are usually very small and well hidden, and that's why people are their own worst critics, because we know where to find all those mistakes.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 24, 2008, 03:43:39 AM »
Oh I'm horrible about that.  Like. . . you have no idea how critical of myself I am. ha ha. ESPECIALLY if I'm going to show it to someone. xP
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

sourgasm

• Level 1
  • DUR HUR
    • View Profile
    • sour:sKetchblog
« Reply #233 on: August 29, 2008, 05:02:46 PM »
Heya folks. Long time listener, first time caller. I just finished up my painting of what I believe to be one of the most hardcore moments in sci-fi history: Elend taking on a Koloss one on one.

Hope you dig it.

Details:

--
Josh Godin
http://sour.org

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 29, 2008, 05:36:57 PM »
Fantastically done, although I think your rendition of Elend looks a little old.  Other than that I absolutely love it.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

sourgasm

• Level 1
  • DUR HUR
    • View Profile
    • sour:sKetchblog
« Reply #235 on: August 29, 2008, 05:47:37 PM »
I could see that. I tried to make him look like a young guy who had recently been aged rather quickly due to, you know, life circumstance. I also tried to make him look a bit British. In my head, I always see him as an uppity Brit heh

Any way. Thanks!
--
Josh Godin
http://sour.org

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 29, 2008, 05:57:45 PM »
Nice, dude.  I love the way he's obviously in mid-air.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 29, 2008, 11:05:54 PM »
He is exactly how I imagined him, including the clothes, except the age thing.

Hmmm.  Maybe try decreasing the lines on the cheeks and making more in the eye area.  "/  I'm not an expert with people though. ha ha.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #238 on: August 30, 2008, 12:39:31 PM »
That's pretty kickass! I think of the fashions in Mistborn as being closer to Victorian era than Colonial, but then again I've been proven wrong in the past.

Hopefully I've gotten closer on this one (I asked for help first, this time):

Still not sure on a couple things, like the placement of the torso spikes or the costuming in general... I like the cloak, but I'm not sure if I like the shirtlessness. It shows off the nail heads, but... meh. I'll think of something, eventually. Or be corrected.

;D

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 30, 2008, 02:51:07 PM »
holy crap dude that is awesome!!!!!  :o :o I love the sense of motion in the cape and his clothes, the little flaps of cloth swinging in the wind. Actually the little strips and the cloak kinda reinforce the image of a Mistborn; a mistborn gone bad if you will. For some reason though he looks almost sci-fi ish. I'm not even sure why thats just the impression i got. But dude that is so awesome.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!