Author Topic: Official Fan Art Thread **Don't create new threads**  (Read 223989 times)

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
Re: Official Fan Art Thread **Don't create new threads**
« Reply #210 on: July 28, 2008, 07:09:23 PM »
Very well done once again Inkthinker.

I REALLY think that they were dark blue like Skar drew them. . . . I'm gonna have to check in the book to be sure though.

But I have to go to work for now so I'll have to check that later.

The nice thing about working digital is that if that turns out to be the case... I can fix it. :D

All I recalled was that the skin was "blue", but I didn't recall what shade. I decided to go with a pale blue to help bring out the features, but it's only a matter of some slider adjustments and a little touch-up to change the color entirely.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 28, 2008, 08:07:00 PM »
I really liked that.  It's sweet looking.  I agree with what others have said though... I always imagined them being a deeper blue.

I love the detail of the guy's face and the sweatdrop.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 28, 2008, 09:31:29 PM »
Well, turns out you guys were right... took book 2 with me to lunch and did some browsing, and in chapter 19 (wherein Sazed first encounters the koloss) their skin is described as "deep blue" and later as "blackish blue".

So that'll teach me to do my reading.

Looks like I also messed up the scale reference, in that an immature koloss should be closer to 5-6 feet tall. Luckily all this stuff is easy enough to edit in the PSD, so I'll update the image with a corrected version later tonight, I think.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 28, 2008, 11:11:44 PM »
Well, turns out you guys were right... took book 2 with me to lunch and did some browsing, and in chapter 19 (wherein Sazed first encounters the koloss) their skin is described as "deep blue" and later as "blackish blue".

So that'll teach me to do my reading.

Looks like I also messed up the scale reference, in that an immature koloss should be closer to 5-6 feet tall. Luckily all this stuff is easy enough to edit in the PSD, so I'll update the image with a corrected version later tonight, I think.
Sweet!

I'm excited to see what they look like finished.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 29, 2008, 04:24:03 AM »
Inkthinker, did you message Brandon yet? :)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Hero of Ages

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 29, 2008, 07:20:15 AM »
Fantastic.  Those Koloss are exactly as I pictured them, except for the color.  I alway saw them as a dark, electric blue.  Very vivid.
I must not fear;
Fear is the mind killer;
I will face my fear;
I will let it pass through me;
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing;
Only I will remain.
-Paul Muad'dib Atreides-

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself.
-Me-

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 29, 2008, 08:34:01 AM »
Man, Koloss are fun to paint!

I feel like I'm learning a ton about using color, photoshop, and the tablet...
Another Koloss for your consideration...

InkThinker, you've got to stop posting such cool art.  I've got other stuff I should be doing and you keep driving me, feverish with inspiration, back to the drawing board.

"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 29, 2008, 09:46:59 AM »
You are getting better Skar, work on muscle tensity beneath the skin though.  Also, his lip should be pulled tight against his teeth if the rest of his skin is ripping.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 29, 2008, 10:25:48 AM »
Inkthinker, did you message Brandon yet? :)

I have. It's not for me to talk about, though.

Edited version of the koloss is up now, folks. I've overwritten the older version, so as to not double-post the image.

I know (now) that the immature koloss come as small as 5', but to pull the smaller one down much further would end up pulling the lines in such a way so that it'd look reduced, like seeing a xerox copy placed in there. Rather than do that, I put him on the upper range of the smaller koloss. I also made their eyes a bit more of a burning orange, to reflect what Sazed sees as "eyes the color of the sun at dusk" (TWoA, p215). And there's some small changes to the text and the numbers were fixed to reflect the more proper sizes. I could stand to build the contrast in blues better, 'cause darker is harder to work with, but hey... it's 5AM and I just spent 13 hours drawing animation. Cut a brother some slack.

:D

Actually reading the text (most of the descriptions run from pages 212-217 of the paperback edition), shows me a couple other things I might do better next time, such as making them a bit stockier at full growth and misshaping the facial features more to reflect the stretched "sack of skin" effect. I would probably also do a bit more with the sword-and-coinsack harness, such as it is... the koloss carry their weapons "...bound to their backs with leather straps. And tied to those straps [are] pouches" (TWoA. p216)

Brandon describes the pouches as being both "tied to their swords" and "tied to the straps", but if you have the coin pouches actually attached TO the sword, it leads to some practical issues. Just tying the sword to your  back with straps also presents some functionality concerns, but there's any number of slipknot ties or other methods by which a character might tie or strap a sword while still making it easily drawn in short order. Figuring out little details like that is part of the fun, but for now I'm doing a more liberal version of "tied to the straps".
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 10:38:38 AM by Inkthinker »

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 29, 2008, 10:43:20 AM »

InkThinker, you've got to stop posting such cool art.  I've got other stuff I should be doing and you keep driving me, feverish with inspiration, back to the drawing board.

You understand, that's not really incentive for me to stop, right?

Plus, I'm still having fun. But don't worry... regular work is a-callin', so it might be a little while before I do another.

I do have this killer image of Vin fighting the koloss in my head still, though... I'll probably get that out at some point. And I'd like to draw a stronger image of the Steel Inquistors than I have so far.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 29, 2008, 03:25:21 PM »
NOw THAT is amazing ink!
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 29, 2008, 04:07:41 PM »
wow. can you say incredibly cool?
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 30, 2008, 07:32:38 AM »
I think all of the art here is extremely awesome. Having no artistic talent myself, I have to rely on others to get images down that make sense to me with a book, and you all have managed that on some level or another. Great art, really it is. :)

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 31, 2008, 05:49:05 PM »
INKTHINKER, WOW!  :o Amazing layout, drawing, coloring, etc., etc. What a cool cover image those koloss would be.... Or a T-shirt!!
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 04, 2008, 04:58:04 AM »
Okay, I'm not so good at drawing.  So I decided to do something I can do... cosplay.  This is my play off of the current (offical) cover.

It's supposed to be Siri (yes, I know she doesn't use breaths, and she never touches Nightblood, but I was working with the cover.)  It's the dress she wears the first time she leaves the god king's palace.

Walking was probably a bad idea, considering her dress’s long train.  She’d eventually chosen a gown far more daring than anything she’d ever worn before.  The neckline was a touch low, and it had no sleeves.  It also had a curious design that covered the front of her legs with a short skirt, yet was floor length back.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 05:46:18 AM by firstRainbowRose »
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"